autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nanoskin Sponge problems :/

Hello all,

Today while decontaminating a Pilot that I am working on, I used traditional clay (for the sake of pictures), Nanoskin Medium wash mitt and the Nanoskin red sponge (I think its medium?) for the narrow panels.

The clay was clay...

Medium wash mitt was broken in on the windshield and worked perfectly after that.

Medium Sponge was broken in on the passenger window.

While using it, it just would not glide like clay or the wash mitt. It kept getting stuck to the paint, I had plenty of lube as evident from my clay not sticking. The Sponge just would not work, even if I kept spraying lube, it would not even glide over a soaked surface.

What am I doing wrong or was this product a complete waste of money?

I plan on using the fine sponge on my car next week but I am reconsidering, have I shot myself in the foot this time by buying both the sponges and not a fine mitt?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nanoskin Sponge problems :/

You're not doing anything wrong, as I've had the same experiences with my Nanoskin sponges. They seem to stick a lot, and I've pretty much accepted it as a fact-of-life when using them. What I think happens is that there's not a lot of surface area on them, so they basically hydrolock themselves onto the surface. This happens frequently with mine, and I just take it off, clean it again, and keep going. Using lighter pressure and quicker movement seems to help a bit.
    Street/Racing Concepts
    '02 Mercedes SLK32 AMG, '05 Mercedes SL65 AMG, '02 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2- All Silver!

Post Thanks / Like

I only use Nanoskin to clay my vehicles. I use the blue wash towel. I've never had the experience you are getting. The only thing I can think of is if the vehicle is hot. I have never used the red sponge so I could not tell you the difference.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Nanoskin Sponges for the whole car and have never had this problem or any marring from either one when using UWW+ as a lube.

Could be that it was not broken in enough--I broke it in by doing all of the windows on the car, not just one. I also rinse it in fresh water after each section.

Post Thanks / Like

I used my nanoskin rred sponge on my car to do a quick clay and to my surprise it stuck quite alot as well. Granted I havent clayed the car nor plished in quite a while so I'm sure it was a contributing factor. I even saturated the sponge/panel with plenty of lube.

After I got done with the section I wiped with my microfiber and it did its job, the panels were smooth as glass and richer in color

Post Thanks / Like

I have experienced the same issue and I found by keeping them flat they want to stick. I slightly tip the leading edge and use more lube then with clay bar. I have used all there is and I prefer using a clay bar. It takes maybe 10 minutes longer but I am in no hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be the lube as well making it stick or warm panels.I never use lube foam cannon wash first,the foam cannon again to decon.I actually bought one today to use on a ford raptor.I cut it in half for easy maneuvering in tight spots.

Post Thanks / Like

I see the same thing, but I do notice it is worse when the car surface is more contaminated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,

It was not the lube as I have used ONR as lube for 2 years now without any issues. Panel was cool to touch as the car was parked in my garage for more than 36 hours before I got to claying.

In the end I gave up and used clay and the wash mitt, which were a 1000 times easier to use and just glided on the paint without isues.

I want to try the blue sponge on my car which is not at all contaminated, maybe just slightly and I hope in the not the same crappy results. If it is, I dont know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    I see the same thing, but I do notice it is worse when the car surface is more contaminated.
    Just for the sake of it, I tried it again on a panel that was done claying and it still stuck.

Post Thanks / Like

are you putting minimal pressure on the sponge? Granted I was using the medium grade sponge on my car, but I found it you start to apply pressure to the sponge it will stick in spots, and not glide. I backed off the pressure and noticed it was gliding across the paint more consistently, but would stick here and there. Still no where near as bad as when using more pressure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast