autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What comes after DA polish? Panel wipe? Wash?

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Oh....

I withdraw my query in that case.
    You know Top Gear?
    I take credit for convincing him to finally try Megs UWWA and later D115. He was the most stubborn of OCD to let go of his idea that Gold Class Quik Detailer was best for his black paint, even though his results were always full of streaks and worst of all he was inducing swirls back onto his paint... I tried every psychological angle until he finally gave in and bought a bottle of UWWA and within hours of trying it for the 1st time he began raving about how great it works. He still raves about how it changed his whole approach to maintaining his black vehicle for the better.

Pretty heartwarming story eh? Lmao.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You know Top Gear?
    I take credit for convincing him to finally try Megs UWWA and later D115. He was the most stubborn of OCD to let go of his idea that Gold Class Quik Detailer was best for his black paint, even though his results were always full of streaks and worst of all he was inducing swirls back onto his paint... I tried every psychological angle until he finally gave in and bought a bottle of UWWA and within hours of trying it for the 1st time he began raving about how great it works. He still raves about how it changed his whole approach to maintaining his black vehicle for the better.

Pretty heartwarming story eh? Lmao.
    Lol now he goes on about how D115 is the best product ever. Now I know who to thank. The one that is the all time funniest is the fact that he states that the actual color of the Meguiar's compounds and polishes leave a certain hue to the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

It can be an exceedingly difficult task accommodating the more headstrong users among us. I love when people use what they like, and promote it's merits.

My problem is when facts are disregarded as marketing propaganda. Also when a user takes on an tone of condescension to anyone disagreeing with the disinformation.

And that goes for anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Not quite following. What contraction? I did 111 and it looked good. It was shiny but didn't have the wow factor others talked about. I had some collinite, have read that it looks good on top of 111 and tried it. Looks great.

I think a topping adds extra protection and (in this case) has different optical qualities. It's like a protectant for the protectant. In this case it was more of me trying to get a certain look. Or did I misunderstand your comment? Feel free to educate me on toppers if I have it wrong.
    I think I get it... (could not edit so have to reply to my own reply.)

I believe your point is that I'm trying to figure what polishes leave behind and what panel wipes have in them and yet I'm putting a topper on 111 without questioning anything. So the contradiction is that I want to understand how things work but with the 111/collinite I just went at it. I get why you may see that as a contraction.

And you're right. It is a contraction. I guess it's results and some potential risk. The risk of me putting collinite over my 111 is minimal. I can remove it wait for it to wear off. Trying to figure out what sticks to what, and polishes leave something behind is certainly not required knowledge. But I'd like to understand if my sealant is going to last 3 months rather than 6 because it has mineral oil on the surface. I think it's a question worth asking. Nobody seems to know the answer.

If I get ambitious I may give it a try and see how longevity with the same LSP is over UP vs. something without oil. Or cleaned vs. not cleaned panel.

And for any chemists reading... why alcohol for panel wipe? Why not a soap or detergent?

Post Thanks / Like

When doing a wipe down of an area how much rubbing alcohol does one mix with water?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Harper View Post
    there is no such thing as "paint coating" that lasts a year or more. It's snake oil BS. The only thing that's for real is car wax. Just get Meguires or any other good car wax. There's nothing better, no matter what nonsense you read online.
    As someone who has used coatings since late 2008, you are absolutely wrong. I saw 2 years of protection from the original professional version on OptiGard. It was used on two different black cars.
    One garage kept, other outside 24/7.

I have used many of the other newer coatings since then. The last Significant longer than any wax or sealant. I have seen no adverse effects to date, and removal is easier too. As a diehard wax user, the only thing missing is the Nuba glow. The length of protection and the gloss more than makes up for it.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I think I get it... (could not edit so have to reply to my own reply.)

I believe your point is that I'm trying to figure what polishes leave behind and what panel wipes have in them and yet I'm putting a topper on 111 without questioning anything. So the contradiction is that I want to understand how things work but with the 111/collinite I just went at it. I get why you may see that as a contraction.

And you're right. It is a contraction. I guess it's results and some potential risk. The risk of me putting collinite over my 111 is minimal. I can remove it wait for it to wear off. Trying to figure out what sticks to what, and polishes leave something behind is certainly not required knowledge. But I'd like to understand if my sealant is going to last 3 months rather than 6 because it has mineral oil on the surface. I think it's a question worth asking. Nobody seems to know the answer.

If I get ambitious I may give it a try and see how longevity with the same LSP is over UP vs. something without oil. Or cleaned vs. not cleaned panel.

And for any chemists reading... why alcohol for panel wipe? Why not a soap or detergent?
    Have you read this one yet?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...t-bonding.html

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by David Harper View Post

there is no such thing as "paint coating" that lasts a year or more. It's snake oil BS.

The only thing that's for real is car wax. Just get Meguires or any other good car wax. There's nothing better, no matter what nonsense you read online.

Interesting first post to the AGO forum.

Looking forward to your future posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I have. And like everything Mike writes, it makes a lot of sense. As I said previously, many of you get great results and don't sweat this stuff. The point that the coating doesn't shed off the car is of course the far extreme on a continuum of worst to best conditions for applying an LSP.

Mike's point is that it doesn't really matter and that they're all compatible.

I read some advice here previously that when starting out it's best to just pick a brand and go with it. So much information here leads to a little bit of over-analysis, at least on my part. If I could rewind 6 months I'd pick one brand and run with it until I got great results.

If Mike or somebody else from AG is reading, could you get someone to update the wax cut chart? Not having Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish on there seems like a gap. This has to be one of the most useful tools in the car care world. It makes sense out of a complete lack of standardization or naming convention in the industry. And big kudos to Griot's for their product naming. Makes me want buy their stuff just because they do a better job with product naming.

Post Thanks / Like

The simple answer is that a soap or detergent leaves surfactants behind. Alcohol evaporates as it flashes while removing the polishing oils.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
    When doing a wipe down of an area how much rubbing alcohol does one mix with water?
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...n-results.html

I have. And like everything Mike writes, it makes a lot of sense. As I said previously, many of you get great results and don't sweat this stuff. The point that the coating doesn't shed off the car is of course the far extreme on a continuum of worst to best conditions for applying an LSP.

Mike's point is that it doesn't really matter and that they're all compatible.

I read some advice here previously that when starting out it's best to just pick a brand and go with it. So much information here leads to a little bit of over-analysis, at least on my part. If I could rewind 6 months I'd pick one brand and run with it until I got great results.

If Mike or somebody else from AG is reading, could you get someone to update the wax cut chart? Not having Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish on there seems like a gap. This has to be one of the most useful tools in the car care world. It makes sense out of a complete lack of standardization or naming convention in the industry. And big kudos to Griot's for their product naming. Makes me want buy their stuff just because they do a better job with product naming.
    The Autopia chart is more up to date.

UPDATED 9/2015: Autopia Polish Comparison Chart

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast