autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: wearing through clear coat?

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    great bro idk why yours scratches so bad, mines blacks and ive seen nothing like that and black shows everything, it must be something else besides the paint????
    I think it's because the paint responds better to a more aggressive approach. [i.e. cutting compound instead of a finishing polish on a finishing pad] However I have no reason to step it up to that because the paint is still in like new swirl free condition.

By the way, you should get rid of that original backing plate that your HF DA came with... Buy a 5" Lake Country backing plate off of here. You'll get more out of your polisher with that backing plate and 5" pads. I have that same DA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I think it's because the paint responds better to a more aggressive approach. [i.e. cutting compound instead of a finishing polish on a finishing pad] However I have no reason to step it up to that because the paint is still in like new swirl free condition.

By the way, you should get rid of that original backing plate that your HF DA came with... Buy a 5" Lake Country backing plate off of here. You'll get more out of your polisher with that backing plate and 5" pads. I have that same DA.
    oh nice i already replaced it with the 6" meguiar's backing plate,i also have the 3" lake county backing plate and pad set. i switch them back and fourth but thinking of buying a porter cable from lowes so i dont have to keep switching even though its easy

fwiw the miguires and the harbor freight 6" backing plate seem identical to me

idk about your theory but it doesnt sound right, i used a finishing polish the first time i ever did it and it didnt scratch, what pads do you use? i dont think it works like that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    oh nice i already replaced it with the 6" meguiar's backing plate,i also have the 3" lake county backing plate and pad set. i switch them back and fourth but thinking of buying a porter cable from lowes so i dont have to keep switching even though its easy

fwiw the miguires and the harbor freight 6" backing plate seem identical to me

idk about your theory but it doesnt sound right, i used a finishing polish the first time i ever did it and it didnt scratch, what pads do you use? i dont think it works like that?
    Don't buy a PC unless you're looking to downgrade..

As far as the paint on the Kia, the way I remember is I 1st did a test spot on the passenger door with M205/LC Flat Foam Finishing Pad w/HF DA on speed 4.5 and saw no visable improvement. [the paint was already in perfect condition] So I figured I'd try on the hood since it couldn't hurt, I would only be looking to enhance the gloss right? Wrong. The paint on the hood reacted totally different and appears to be hyper sensitive when a buffer is put to it because things turned ugly fast. Micro scratches and swirl marks. I felt horrible.

A few months later I decided to try a different approach and used my Griots Boss 21 w/Carpro Gloss Pad [similar to LC finishing pad] + Carpro Essence. Same exact result. I ended up having to re apply Essence 3 more times in extra long buffing cycles to get it to cover up the mess it initially left behind. That test spot still isn't perfect, but the paint is pearl white and you really have to look for the spot so I've gotten over it.

The paint [at least on the hood of this vehicle] is a nightmare. I hope I never have to polish it because if I do I'll probably wind up having to get more aggressive than I'd like to.. But as long as I stay on top of maintaining it in its current condition I hope I never have to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Don't buy a PC unless you're looking to downgrade..

As far as the paint on the Kia, the way I remember is I 1st did a test spot on the passenger door with M205/LC Flat Foam Finishing Pad w/HF DA on speed 4.5 and saw no visable improvement. [the paint was already in perfect condition] So I figured I'd try on the hood since it couldn't hurt, I would only be looking to enhance the gloss right? Wrong. The paint on the hood reacted totally different and appears to be hyper sensitive when a buffer is put to it because things turned ugly fast. Micro scratches and swirl marks. I felt horrible.

A few months later I decided to try a different approach and used my Griots Boss 21 w/Carpro Gloss Pad [similar to LC finishing pad] + Carpro Essence. Same exact result. I ended up having to re apply Essence 3 more times in extra long buffing cycles to get it to cover up the mess it initially left behind. That test spot still isn't perfect, but the paint is pearl white and you really have to look for the spot so I've gotten over it.

The paint [at least on the hood of this vehicle] is a nightmare. I hope I never have to polish it because if I do I'll probably wind up having to get more aggressive than I'd like to.. But as long as I stay on top of maintaining it in its current condition I hope I never have to.
    cool idk my paint didn't scratch but its def cheap chit the hood and bumper is full of rock chips a the sides have a few too,
    i want to get the hood repainted at some point its that bad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12