autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Must need tougher compound?

Well dove right in with the PC! Went after some heavy scratches using Opt compound and yellow cutting pad. Worked it for awhile. Redid a few spots 3 times, still scratches are there. Tried speeds from 3-5. Am I missing something here? Keep redoing sections? Or tiem to go to polish and softer pad?
    I'll wait to hit those until I hear, now gonna go after some swirl marks on my hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heavy scratches are generally too much for a PC. The PC is generally good at 'rounding' off the edges to reduce the appearance of scratches and minor swirl marks and such can be removed. If your scratches aren't through the clear, then you will need some additional assistance from a rotary buffer. I had 3 long scratches left from the goons who did a spray in liner on our black truck. Since I wasn't about to let them fix, I tried the PC first with a compound and nada....Tried the rotarty with a compound and it helped, but it was obvious it would take too long so I resorted to 2500 grit wet sanding and then compounded those sanding marks out. After the polish step, I switched over to the PC and it took care of a area of light hazing/swirl I had left with no problem.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, just did under half my hood, nada as well! I must be underworking it. I used polish on yellow. It only has spiderwebs.
    Time to mess around and see what I get!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you just letting the weight of the machine do the work, or are you putting pressure on it? PC needs pressure/weight on it to really do any type of correcting work. I had to put a decent amount of pressure on my PC with Optimum Compound and Edge Yellow pad on my hood but it did a damn good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, started applying mroe pressure getting better results! Hot the hood w/compound and it is strating to clear up the swirls. Getting there.
    Anymore tips?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just move slowly, about 1/2" or so per second and you see some great results, PC takes longer to work in product and break down compared to a rotary. Good thing with Optimum Compound though is you have a ton of working time before it starts to get dry. Are you over lapping? Like I'll go right across a panel, move it down about half way and so on and so on for each time, that way part of the pad product is overlapping what you just did.

There are some video links of using the PC to give you an idea (but they move it too fast IMO) just to show you some methods. Not sure if you've seen them, links might be on here, but I know if you search Autopia there on there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, slowly modifying my techinique to get results. Strating to get somewhere. Let me ask, say how long should I work it to do a half hood, I am going between4-6 minutes I assume? Also, some spots are hazing (I knwo this will come out with polish?), but is haze good or bad at this step?

Post Thanks / Like
    speed is also to slow, polish at full speed for 4-7 minutes per panel minimum. Then wipe down and redo ... PC is very safe but as such needs longer to work properly.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I suffered some similar problems as ScooterG. PC at full speed? When I cranked it up I started getting powder or sling. How much product do you need to put on the pad? I've seen a few tips about getting the pad wet first with QD .. that right?

ScooterG - I'm right there with you man!

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    When you are starting on a fresh pad, I find it beneficial to spray it with QD beforehand. After the first pass, my pad is damp enough that I just add product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast