autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Working at a dealership

I just moved to a new dealership, and upon finishing my first week i've come to the conclusion that the guys i'm working with are pretty amateurs. They use dirty wash brushes in dirty water, only have a blue pad and dirty wool pads for buffing, just little things. obviously they do enough to still be there. I was wondering what you would do? im new, i don't want to wrestle any feathers. but i know i know much more about detailing. all opinions welcome!

thanks, andy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Working at a dealership

To me and most likely to others those are "BIG" things. And they are still there because dealerships for the most part either don't really care or are clueless to what proper vehicle detailing/prep really is.

Don't waste your time trying to educate them, most likely being the "new guy" they will resent you. When it becomes too much to deal with, move on. Also, they will push out more vehicles than you because they don't care and if it's based upon production rates, well you get the picture.

Good luck!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I've worked for a few dealerships, and they are all the same. Except maybe really high end dealerships. I worked for a Cadillac dealership, and they were the same way.
    Basically they recon dept of dealerships is the low end of the totem pole, other than the parts drivers, and dealer exchange drivers who are mainly part time retired folks who only do it to get out of the house lol. What I am getting at is, the higher ups don't want to spend what they see as unneeded expenses (although true detailers know it would be needed expenses) on the recon dept. Pretty much the dealership is happy with shiny exteriors, and clean interiors.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^ These 2 responses have summed it up. I have been in your shoes before. Just do your thing and go home and detail your car the correct way.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Clean and shiny.. it's all they care about and all they ever will. And only then in the context of moving metal off the lot as fast as possible.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

You work for them; it's their game, it's their rules...and you're the new guy. My opinion, see what you learn about running a business: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Maybe you build your own clientele.

Post Thanks / Like

Just plan on doing cars as fast as you can to get them on the lot. I know I worked on used cars at a dealership for 5 years. As stated above, save your best work for the cars you have at home.
    2007 Chevy Equinox
    2008 Saturn Outlook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Clean and shiny.. it's all they care about and all they ever will. And only then in the context of moving metal off the lot as fast as possible.
    I lasted 3 days a dealer couldn't take it. They are what you call true hacks and only care about one thing $$$$. If you really want to learn detailing get a job at a good shop.

Post Thanks / Like

i am a tech at a high end dealer and i see Ferraris treated like hondas, i shake my head at the lack of care that our "detailers" take when cleaning and polishing vehicle. almost all dealers are the same, the hacks teach the newbies how to hack, no one wants to change, no one cares because its all about numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever i go to my buddies dealership i always try and stay way from the detail section, kills me on the inside watching them..

When ever i order a new car from him, i always tell him if you wash it im not buying it..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast