autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Australian Concours d'Elegance....I'm ashamed

hi guys,

Was wondering if this would be better suited under the Show n Shine section, but I think here is fine unless told otherwise.

I just attended our Australian Concours d'Elegance event, and really was appalled at the condition most of the exhibitors cars were in.

We do have some of the rarest cars on the planet lurking in the collections of some true enthusiasts and this is perhaps the one time of the year which they come out to stretch their legs, but disappointingly so.

Please have a read of my coverage.

Thanks, Anthony

Motorclassica 2014 was a Successful Disappointment - Detailing, paint protection and car care products - Port Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Australian Concours d'Elegance....I'm ashamed

Well, unless someone can give me a good explanation, I agree it's a shame... In fact, if my Daily Driver looks like what you showed I'd feel bad 'showing it' on the streets, what to say about such important concours...

Definitively this is not what we expect to see in cars prepared for a show'n'shine, may be overwhelming or even unfair saying this, but this event looks like a huge 'Fail' in terms of car's preparation.

I'm not a judge but a car enthusiast - what you showed won't pass my evaluation criteria.

Thanks a lot for sharing,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

WOW

The paint on a lot of our daily rides will look better than that...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Well, unless someone can give me a good explanation, I agree it's a shame... In fact, if my Daily Driver looks like what you showed I'd feel bad 'showing it' on the streets, what to say about such important concours...

Definitively this is not what we expect to see in cars prepared for a show'n'shine, may be overwhelming or even unfair saying this, but this event looks like a huge 'Fail' in terms of car's preparation.

I'm not a judge but a car enthusiast - what you showed won't pass my evaluation criteria.

Thanks a lot for sharing,

Kind Regards.
    Thanks Tato, we share the exact sentiments. My customers with their daily driven Honda's overall are in better condition than the majority of these cars.

There was too much emphasis on originality versus condition in the judging. I hope they recalibrate this balance next year onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    WOW

The paint on a lot of our daily rides will look better than that...
    Yep, that's the big shameful part. All these claimed veterans and big hitters of our auto industry are also either poorly informed of car care, or too cheap to spend an immaterial amount on finishing their cars, after spending tens of thousands on their displays, sponsorship fees and marketing material.

Post Thanks / Like

Ignorance is bliss. I'm sure most of the owners are very proud of their cars, but just don't have a clue. Certainly the big names should know better.

And I agree that it is disheartening to have this concourse billed as the best Australia has to offer when most are not even in peak form.

Out of curiosity, why percentage or number would you say had a paint correction done or where properly detailed?
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I do have to agree with you.

If you notice Mike's pictures from last weekends car show, you see the same kind of "work."

OT: What is the font/type style do you use on your 'blog'? I find it super easy to read.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    Ignorance is bliss. I'm sure most of the owners are very proud of their cars, but just don't have a clue. Certainly the big names should know better.

And I agree that it is disheartening to have this concourse billed as the best Australia has to offer when most are not even in peak form.

Out of curiosity, why percentage or number would you say had a paint correction done or where properly detailed?
    My sentiments exactly - ignorance is bliss. Not meaning to generalise, but from speaking to one or two owners and spending full days there, the majority of the owners are older who spent most of their lives polishing by t-shirts or whatever practice they were taught many years ago when detailing wasn't even recognised as a skill.

There is no excuse from the large corporate brands there though, skimping on the final 5% is a let down.

From my scouting for the day, I counted 5 in the sea of 100 or so which was truly stunning. One of which was an Aston Martin DB2 which rightfully won Best of Show, and that's not to detract away from the fact the competition wasn't strong. It was sublime, I unfortunately didn't take a photo of it as I thought I'd come back to the stand but didn't have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    I do have to agree with you.

If you notice Mike's pictures from last weekends car show, you see the same kind of "work."

OT: What is the font/type style do you use on your 'blog'? I find it super easy to read.

Bill
    Thanks Bill! The Meguiar's Motorex we held earlier this year in Melbourne was just brilliant. They they Mal from The Detailering Pros come down to show demos and consult entrants. That was a brilliant move on their and Meg's behalf.

The font on m site is Lucida Grande which is a standard on my site's platform.

I appreciate that feedback, it helps to know it's easy on the eye in turn making it indirectly more engaging.

Cheers mate

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Mike Phillips

I don't know... the pictures on that page didn't look too horrible, at least I wasn't *shocked*.

Check out the pictures I captured at the car show we went to last Saturday, there's examples of horrific holograms and swirls in show cars.

Pictures: Autogeek at the 6th Annual Palm City Fall Fest Car Show!

Here's an example....

I was at our local Tuesday night car show last night and was absolutely horrified at some of the swirled out messes that showed up.

But hey... job security!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately this is very indicative of all types of Car Shows.

It seems that most people think that a clean and shiny car with dressed rubber and clean glass is the end all of a quality finish.

From local shows to SEMA to the Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance I have seen similar results from what the OP posted a link to countless times. Sometimes its nearly impossible to turn off inspecting the paint when its your hobby or business.

In time, with a lot of patience, all that can be done is educate the owners in a helpful way that addresses enhancing their show car.I have seen many owners have an "Ah -HA" moment when spoken to about paint defects and have seen many discard it as pointless. I do believe with time the paint condition of cars has improved over time and will do so, its just the nature of the industry....And in the end detailers will be there to help secure those best in show trophies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast