autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Does this Meguiars video just seem strange to anyone else????

I was on YouTube and came across this video. This seems not very safe to me but Meguiars has a good name so thought I'd post and ask. Seems like way to much dust to just spray and wipe, especially the way their tech was wiping it (in circles without going to a clean side). Anyway made me cringe a little and thought I'd see everyone else's thoughts on it. I would have at least used a duster lightly on it to get the majority of the dust off but who knows maybe I'm wrong Interested to see what others think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urHNKpQZBpY]Using Ultimate Quik Detailer to Maintain Your Car's Finish - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does this Meguiars video just seem strange to anyone else????

To the general population there's nothing wrong with that video, the car got clean and shiny.
    If you look closely the paint already looks swirled up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    To the general population there's nothing wrong with that video, the car got clean and shiny.
    If you look closely the paint already looks swirled up.
    I agree 100%, to someone like my Dad and his swirled car you are right. I'm speaking more about us on here, I know some people love QD and say it is safe and others don't so more referencing that debate I guess. I'm just trying to develop a technique that minimizes any dust on the surface to start with. As far as it already being swirled, yeah it kinda looked that way, but then it seemed that it was also a "concourse" show car at the same time which would mean the paint should be flawless right?

I really like the "thought" of QD products but every time I go to use them a can't bring myself to do it I was thinking of using my Cali Duster to "very lightly" remove the already "light" dust on the garage queen and then use QD, does that seem reasonably safe? Also what about vertical surfaces, like fenders and doors, I'm assuming they do not accumulate nearly as much dust? Or would you still try to lightly dust them as well?

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with most videos on detailing, they have to appeal to the general public, not us anal types!

AG does some of the better videos for a company, CG is a little much....
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    The problem with most videos on detailing, they have to appeal to the general public, not us anal types!
    This.

Post Thanks / Like

I would really like to point something out here.

Yes it is aimed for gen public, but quick detail spray is severely underrated in its "cleaning" ability.

Most of us have it drilled anything short of 2BM wash is unacceptable, and in most cases that is true. Consider though, what if there is no facility for a 2BM? Surprisingly enough QD spray and a clean towel is extremely capable to remove dirt and grime without marring paint. I know megs actually makes a great example of this by wiping down a dirty car with QD spray and inducing nearly no marring at their training courses.

So even though in the video they are wiping down a dirty vehicle with QD spray and a towel - which is not the most fool proof to clean paint, I can promise you that the swirls you see were there before. Maybe a little marring, but nothing deep at all.

I challenge everyone this - take your favourite QD spray and wipe down a dirty panel on your car and see what happens, you will be surprised!

Post Thanks / Like

An aside:
    I personally would never use a "duster" on a vehicle!!!

Back to the video:
    •I did see the tech turn the MF towel.
    •I did see the Meguiar's tech buff several sections of different
    panels in a circular manner...after they had first been cleared of light dust.
    •The most definitive words in this video were:
    -light dust
    -auction
    -on the block

•All-in-all:
    -No...This video does not seem strange to me.
    -IMHO...It's an excellent "How To" presentation
    for yet another excellent Meguiar's product!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
    I was on YouTube and came across this video. This seems not very safe to me but Meguiars has a good name so thought I'd post and ask. Seems like way to much dust to just spray and wipe, especially the way their tech was wiping it (in circles without going to a clean side). Anyway made me cringe a little and thought I'd see everyone else's thoughts on it. I would have at least used a duster lightly on it to get the majority of the dust off but who knows maybe I'm wrong Interested to see what others think.

Using Ultimate Quik Detailer to Maintain Your Car's Finish - YouTube

I assure you, Pennington flips the towel

The way the footage is edited, may make it appear that he does not

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I assure you, Pennington flips the towel

The way the footage is edited, may make it appear that he does not
    That's kind of what I figured.

Mike Phillips

I worked with Mike Pennington at Meguiar's Corporate Office for a little over 7 years and during that time I learned a LOT from him. If you do a search of this forum using his full name you'll find me always giving him credit for the things I learned from him and I even give him credit in my how-to book for things he taught me.

He's probably forgotten more than most of us including myself will ever know.

Besides being the Director of Training for Meguiar's one of the hardest jobs I'd say he has is keeping everyone at Meguiar's on message.

He was fun to work with and I count him as a good friend. He's also a consummate professional both online and in the real world. He leads by example and is always willing to help others reach their goals.

And like others said, when shooting a video and especially anything for TV, time is limited and sometimes details we that hang out on a detailing discussion forum would notice the general population would be oblivious to...

Here's a picture of Jason Rose, Kevin Brown, me and Mike Pennington after we sanded and buffed this way-cool 1950 Ford Woody for a Surfer Band at Meguiar's.

Tom McDonald helped us with this project too and my guess is he's the guy taking the picture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast