autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So many products!! What to do???

I am usually on the forum daily, reading, occasionally posting. I think maybe I've read too much! Everytime I read about a product, I assume it's better than what I use. I don't know what is an upgrade to what I have now. And....I don't have a ton of money sitting around to test stuff out on cars (My daughter just got braces....$6K)

So, I have a thick skin. I am going to post what I normally use. If you have a minute, look at my product list and tell me if I need to send it to the trash can and what is an upgrade, or if my products seem good, then I'm ok with that too.

Wash - Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo - cheap at Costco. Meg's APC on tires, P21S on wheels.

Decon - I used clay bar until recently. Nanoskin sponges are waiting to be used on the next job.

Polish - I have the whole rainbow of Pinnacle XMT. I use Meg's UC often.

LSP - Pinnacle Soueveran liquid.

I have a shelf of other products, mainly Griot's Garage since I live near their main store in Tacoma. I mainly use them for interior cleaners.

My goal is upgrade the products I use, but not break the bank. Kid #2 probably needs braces here soon.

Have it at. I appreciate all of the comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So many products!! What to do???

You're good supplied.

I like Meg's Soap by the gallon, I have (and use both) Hyper Wash for thorough wash / pre-detail wash, and Shampoo Plus for maintenance work, however I may use Hyper Wash for really dirt maintenance work.

Decon: I use nanoskin (have the 6" pad, sponge, mitts (both grades) and towel), but never gave up totally of general clay, so it's wise to keep both. I mainly use nanoskin, but have some clay laying around, it'll be useful.

Polish: If you use UC often, that means you need a product that offers a good correction power and finish. For that, I recommend Menzerna FG400. To pair with FG400, go with SF4000 as it may be used as a finishing polish or a medium polish on a white pad for light defect removal and a mirror-like finish. Worth every penny.

LSP: Although I really LOVE Souveran, I won't rely on it as LSP for my jobs. (Please, do not generalize). If customer come back often for new application, I'd use it, however, I'm leaning toward sealants and coating for better longevity.

I use Wolfgang DGPSealant as sealant, but if you don't want to break the bank, Detailer's (DP) Policoat sealant would be my choice:
    DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant, polymer paint sealant, auto paint sealant, DP Policoat paint sealant, paint sealer

It's not uncommon to see promotional prices in 32oz version which makes this product a lonely winner in my thought.

It's updated version comes with nano coating technology which increases longevity, it does not need pre-cleansing to properly adhere (you save on preparation) and you can charge an extra for 2 coats or even top it with souveran you have.

For coatings, I'm relying on Pinnacle BL Coatings, although many here says CQUK, CQUK!, I really don't feel the need to switch to another product since PBL coatings are working so nice (and profitable) in my business.

Not trying to brag myself, but until now I have 100% satisfaction from customers on PBL coating applications, they always come back for maintenance wash and are spreading by word of mouth how good this product actually is.

It may look expensive at first ($129 for the 8oz surface coating), but, let's analyze it better:

It's not uncommon to see promotions on this item, or coupon codes that make the product price goes down to ~$99.

Let's say, $100. You can coat almost 25 entire vehicles (normal size) with it, let's say ~20 vehicles, which gives you a cost of application ~5$ per car.

$5 per application of such high end product is very profitable. Also, it may double (Triple, or Quadruple!) as a glass coating, wheel coating and Trim Coating (after thorough exterior trim cleaning, I apply it). Glorious, nothing else to add.

Here are just some suggestions for you to be even more confused!

Hope that helps a bit,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elund126 View Post
    I am usually on the forum daily, reading, occasionally posting. I think maybe I've read too much! Everytime I read about a product, I assume it's better than what I use. I don't know what is an upgrade to what I have now. And....I don't have a ton of money sitting around to test stuff out on cars (My daughter just got braces....$6K)

So, I have a thick skin. I am going to post what I normally use. If you have a minute, look at my product list and tell me if I need to send it to the trash can and what is an upgrade, or if my products seem good, then I'm ok with that too.

Wash - Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo - cheap at Costco. Meg's APC on tires, P21S on wheels.

Decon - I used clay bar until recently. Nanoskin sponges are waiting to be used on the next job.

Polish - I have the whole rainbow of Pinnacle XMT. I use Meg's UC often.

LSP - Pinnacle Soueveran liquid.

I have a shelf of other products, mainly Griot's Garage since I live near their main store in Tacoma. I mainly use them for interior cleaners.

My goal is upgrade the products I use, but not break the bank. Kid #2 probably needs braces here soon.

Have it at. I appreciate all of the comments.
    Looks to me like you have it covered. Spending boatloads of money trying to find "the best" this or that is a fool's errand. When you use something up and put in an order, is the time to experiment.

There are at least a half-dozen really good sealant/waxes out there. We all know who they are. Pick one.

Clay is clay.

detail spray is detail spray.

There are a half-dozen really good spray waxes out there. We know what those are, too. pick one.

Get the appropriate pads and mf towels.

Then do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I was looking at the Menz, and it seems like everyone loves it. It's $10 cheaper on Amazon than AG.

I looked at my original post. For compounding and polish, I usually use the entire Pinnacle XMT line (I used the Meg's UC about half the time). Is the Menz going to reduce my machine time?

Post Thanks / Like
    UC is actually a compound. A couple upgraded compounds from meguiar's are M1010, M105, M100. For a polish I use M205 and my LSP's of choice are M21, M26 and ultimate liquid wax. I use both clay and the nanoskin sponge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your list looks good to me. You could go to mezerna compounds and polishes. For a LSP collinite or a paint coating.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterhurcos View Post
    Spending boatloads of money trying to find "the best" this or that is a fool's errand. When you use something up and put in an order, is the time to experiment.
    Agreed. The flavor-of-the-month-club or "the grass (polish/wax/etc.) is always greener" is fun, but I am still trying to use up products I bought 10 years ago. The worst part is when you buy a product and they come out with a new and improved version of it before you even used yours. Really, the products today are so good it's hard to go wrong with any of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Agreed. The flavor-of-the-month-club or "the grass (polish/wax/etc.) is always greener" is fun, but I am still trying to use up products I bought 10 years ago. The worst part is when you buy a product and they come out with a new and improved version of it before you even used yours. Really, the products today are so good it's hard to go wrong with any of them.
    ^^ This

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    ^^ This
    My current supply is running out, so I a due for an order soon. I guess that the XMT line has worked OK for me, but, after reading all of these posts, it gets kind of mind boggling!

In my mind, it seems like XMT is kind of an entry level product, or am I just wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

You're off to a decent start.....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast