autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti Coat 2.0 - Most of my customers see no difference between coated and uncoated

I have applied Opti Coat 2.0 on 6 cars by far, for 6 different car owners, but every time when i walked them around the car and showing the final result, it seemed like they were only 90% satisfied with the result, because the before & after difference was not visually noticeable, no any obvious depth to the paint.

Here are few possibilities:
    1. My application method(applicator wrapped in plastic wrap + suede microfiber cloth) is not good enough and there are better way of application.
    2. My preparation steps (i always ensured the paint is corrected prior to coating) are not good enough.
    3. My garage lighting is poor plus it was always night time when the owner came to collect their car.
    4. The thickness of OC 2.0(Consumer Version) is actually thinner than OC(Pro Version), therefore the before & after difference is not visually noticeable under normal garage lighting.

Could anyone please add/elaborate based on the points above?
    I'm extremely interested on point 4.

Also the owners always asked "Why it doesn't feel slick?".
    My answer to this is "OC 2.0 is a clear resin coating, that's why it's not slick, but you can add slickness to the coating later by using spray detailer when it is fully cured."
    I'm wondering if there is a better answer for this.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about OC 2.0, OC 2.0 is my favourite LSP, just saying that maybe i don't fully understand the nature of OC 2.0 and i need to improve the way i present this coating to the others.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti Coat 2.0 - Most of my customers see no difference between coated and uncoated

the saying, doesn't know between a swirl and a squirrel comes to mind.

I am sure you did a superb job and sometimes you just have to let it be. I like to show customers clear coat failure and explain to them why and how it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti Coat 2.0 - Most of my customers see no difference between coated and uncoated

If you're polishing it should be a pretty night an day difference to the customer, but Opti-Coat, as with most LSP's, add very little to the final look and it's really down to the polishing IMO. I'd suggest taking a picture on a 50/50 section so they can see the before and after.

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spinz View Post
    I have applied Opti Coat 2.0 on 6 cars by far, for 6 different car owners, but every time when i walked them around the car and showing the final result, it seemed like they were only 90% satisfied with the result, because the before & after difference was not visually noticeable, no any obvious depth to the paint.

Here are few possibilities:
    1. My application method(applicator wrapped in plastic wrap + suede microfiber cloth) is not good enough and there are better way of application.
    2. My preparation steps (i always ensured the paint is corrected prior to coating) are not good enough.
    3. My garage lighting is poor plus it was always night time when the owner came to collect their car.
    4. The thickness of OC 2.0(Consumer Version) is actually thinner than OC(Pro Version), therefore the before & after difference is not visually noticeable under normal garage lighting.

Could anyone please add/elaborate based on the points above?
    I'm extremely interested on point 4.

My answer to this is "OC 2.0 is a clear resin coating, that's why it's not slick, but you can add slickness to the coating later by using spray detailer when it is fully cured."

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about OC 2.0, OC 2.0 is my favourite LSP, just saying that maybe i don't fully understand the nature of OC 2.0 and i need to improve the way i present this coating to the others.

Any thoughts?

How are you explaining and selling these customers on OC?

Who is typically buying the OC?
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Are you showing them a fully corrected vehicle with no coating vs. A fully corrected vehicle with coating?

I can't tell a big difference between a car fully corrected with and without coating.

The OMG moment is months down the line when the car still looks as good as the day it was corrected.

You should probably tell the customers that you're going to make the car look great, and the OC will keep it that way for years as long as they wash it correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two thoughts:

1) From what I've seen, Pro adds a noticeable gloss. 2.0, not so much.

2) Do a final polishing step with a very finishing polish, such as Reflect or SF4500. This will add a very noticeable gloss. It only adds a small amount of time and the difference will be very noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't show them a fully corrected car (then) show them the corrected car with coating. They wont see much a difference, heck I don't.

Just show them the final product, done, corrected and sealed. They will be wow'd.
    Nu Finish - The Once-a-Year Car Polish !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spinz View Post

Any thoughts?

Most have been answered. You should have explained the slickness aspect when you first sold OC to them. Maybe they felt you didn't put anything on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    Two thoughts:

1) From what I've seen, Pro adds a noticeable gloss. 2.0, not so much.
    No to hijack this thread, but are there any noticeable differences in durability/performance between 2.0 and Pro?
    Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pcw25 View Post
    No to hijack this thread, but are there any noticeable differences in durability/performance between 2.0 and Pro?
    OCP will leave a thicker film build so you can get away with doing a light polish (Poli-Seal/GPS) without compromising the coating, not likely the case with OC 2.0.

I was told 2.0 was actually different now and no longer just a watered down (more solvents) version of the pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast