autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How long is to long

New in the detailing business I am aware that I must mange actual work time in order to make a profit. I also know each car is different as well as each job that u do to them.
    But I'm sure some of u have a general rule of thumb of about how long it should take not only on the whole job but maybe how long each step should take.

I know I'm new at this and I'll prolly get faster with time. But for now I feel like I'm taking an extremely long time.
    Today for example I did a full detail on a z71 extremely dirty inside but fair on the outside and except from 1 30 minute lunch and 1 5 min break I spent from 9am to 5pm on it!
    So I would like to hear how long some of u spend on simple washes, full details, details and wax, and possibly on just inside, just wheels, just washing, and just waxing.
    And if any of u have a sort of rule of thumb like try not to spend X amount of time on just interior, just exterior, or any steps.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long is to long

I set times for my self after I see the car and make sure I make good money on top of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I set times for my self after I see the car and make sure I make good money on top of that.
    I agree with Pureshine. I like to under promise and over deliver. Remember that usually customers dont mind how long you take on their car as long as its done right. Do whatever its going to take to get the job done.

Now, as far as paint is concerned I think the term "Show Car Finish" is thrown around loosely on this forum. Way to many newcomers to detailing that have the courage to do this as a business (my hats off to you) get too caught up in the sense of making EVERYONES car into a "show car". The fact of the matter is, true show cars are at a level of perfection that requires hours of prep work. For daily drivers, this is a waste IMO. With that said, do what the customer is paying for. If they are willing to pay for you to give them an absolutely flawless finish, then by all means go ahead, but also dont spend too much time trying to perfect their paint when all they want is a "shiny " car. Thats when AIO's come in handy, and honestly us detailers perception of flawless paint is at a higher standard than most consumers.

Post Thanks / Like

These guys covered it all,couldnt agree more. Great advice given.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    I agree with Pureshine. I like to under promise and over deliver. Remember that usually customers dont mind how long you take on their car as long as its done right. Do whatever its going to take to get the job done.

Now, as far as paint is concerned I think the term "Show Car Finish" is thrown around loosely on this forum. Way to many newcomers to detailing that have the courage to do this as a business (my hats off to you) get too caught up in the sense of making EVERYONES car into a "show car". The fact of the matter is, true show cars are at a level of perfection that requires hours of prep work. For daily drivers, this is a waste IMO. With that said, do what the customer is paying for. If they are willing to pay for you to give them an absolutely flawless finish, then by all means go ahead, but also dont spend too much time trying to perfect their paint when all they want is a "shiny " car. Thats when AIO's come in handy, and honestly us detailers perception of flawless paint is at a higher standard than most consumers.

Bazinga!

Taking caution to go over the expectations of the owner before starting. Sure, killing yourself to give him everything you've got is great, but ONLY if he's willing to PAY for that amount of time.

Don't go out of your way to try all your new tricks out on his truck only to find out all he wanted was a wash and spray wax and gets pi$$ed at you when you tell him he owes you $250 for what he thought was going to cost $100.00 (and if you were lucky a tip thown on top of that).

Bedtime,

Cardaddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Bazinga!

Taking caution to go over the expectations of the owner before starting. Sure, killing yourself to give him everything you've got is great, but ONLY if he's willing to PAY for that amount of time.

Don't go out of your way to try all your new tricks out on his truck only to find out all he wanted was a wash and spray wax and gets pi$ at you when you tell him he owes you $250 for what he thought was going to cost $100.00 (and if you were lucky a tip thown on top of that).

Bedtime,

Cardaddy
    You should never change the price ever on a customer. I give them a price when they drop it off and never change it. If your telling them one thing and then charging them more for something they didn't ask for thats bad business.

Post Thanks / Like

Customer pricing are based on what i call "The 3 C's" Car, color and condition. With that you can give the customer a good time frame and meet the expectations of the customer. Also gives you a good pace to work at to meet those goals. Product demonstration and discrete areas really help customers visualize what they're getting too.

I try to give customers the best finish in the most reasonable time. No one wants your at their house for 18 hours washing a already clean Ferrari... Your hourly rate breakdown is kinda based on the demand and market on the area.

It is BEST to give estimates until you see the car in person.
    IG: #dailydetailer @htx_dailydetailer

Post Thanks / Like

i have learned a couple things. what everyone said is so true. i have become a very good communicator/ friendly guy with customers. i also give each customer one of my free samples from ag orders . also a full receipt showing what i did and of course a couple of business cards.

Post Thanks / Like

When a customer calls I give them the starting price till I see the car. So that way I don't get burned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    When a customer calls I give them the starting price till I see the car. So that way I don't get burned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast