autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Leather Seats

I'm still new to detailing and have never heard of the term "over glorified shoe shine boy" before however, having seen it three times today I thought I would share how I've been cleaning my interior fire the last year for some feedback. Maybe it's a great idea, maybe it's stupid, but it send to work.

First off, I clean with Lexol Cleaner and have been using Surf City Garage "Voodoo" Leather Conditioner as products. However, to apply them, I guess I have been an over glorified shoe-shine boy because I use shoe-shine brushes, lol.

I dose the the cleaner brush with Lexol and then mist the surface and scrub it into a foam and wipe it clean with a dry microfiber cloth. I do this to all the leather in the car and then, starting over, mist it down again very lightly to rewet it and wipe it dry a second time to get any remaining dirt.

Then, using the conditioner, I saturate the other brush and then squeeze a bead onto the leather and buff it in that way as well until all the leather has been worked before finishing it all of by buffing off any excess with another clean microfiber cloth.

It seems to me, at least in my own simple mind, that it lifts and exposes the natural grain of the leather more than using just a microfiber cloth, which seems to flatten it out, and does a much better job at cleaning and conditioning the creases and seams.

So, I guess, at least when it comes to my seats, I am just a shoe-shine boy. I'm about to start on that very project in the morning so I will take some pictures but what say you all? Good idea or just extra effort without merit?

Lucky Joe,
    Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Geez, in regards to all those auto-correct failures in the previous post, I would just like to say my phone is the one that's tired, not me, not ever... :-P

Lucky Joe,
    Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Leather Seats

I think the processes are fine. I am not a fan of conditioner on coated leather, I am a protectant fan instead. Optimum Protectant , DG 531, 303,.etc. The creams and oils in conditioners attract and encapusaulates dirt. and wear leather unnecessarily. This debate has been ongoing for years!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like
    On that note I should probably research what kind of leather I have in my 2008 BMW 550i (E60) and learn more about leather in general.

Sometimes I think the "blackness" of it is greying out and the idea of dying it comes to mind but that looks like it'd take at least a week to do and dry properly and that just won't do for the daily driver of a single dad. At least not right now... :-P

Lucky Joe,
    Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    I think the processes are fine. I am not a fan of conditioner on coated leather, I am a protectant fan instead. Optimum Protectant , DG 531, 303,.etc. The creams and oils in conditioners attract and encapusaulates dirt. and wear leather unnecessarily. This debate has been ongoing for years!

How does 531 and 303 perform on leather. I have been wondering about these two. I have bought the fabric guard from 303 on upholstery. Would 303 protectant do the same? But the leather has my interests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have insight on dg on leather?

Post Thanks / Like

DG leather cleaner and its matching conditioners are great products,I honestly dont think DG makes a bad product in their whole line. These 2 you mentioned work as advertised cleans, and well...,like Old Tiger said conditioner on finished leather is debateable.I dont use it on my own I prefer the Leatherique 2x a year with an occasional 1Z Leather care wipe down really just for the smell,but customers feel warm and fuzzy when they smell clean leather smell and a slight slickness to their seats. DG conditioner is one of the best smelling products out there for leather,true leather smell,nothing fake.P.S take that 303 and dump it down the drain. Greasy nasty streaky smelly overrated garbage. Sorry for rant. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, first MAJOR complaint I've heard about 303...
    I'm assuming their protectant? Had a bad experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neat e34 View Post
    Wow, first MAJOR complaint I've heard about 303...
    I'm assuming their protectant? Had a bad experience?
    Yes the protectant. Dont get me wrong,the 303 fabric top cleaner and protectant is REALLY good. The regular 303 protectant is aweful. Without complicating this guys leather thread. Ill say I have found far superior product(s) for my vinyl,rubber needs. 303 protectant and finished(coated) leather should not be used in the same sentence.(or anything really)
    Last edited by HeavyD; 02-28-2013 at 01:59 AM.