autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

synthetic wax over sealant?

Hey guys,
    Here's the question, can you layer a synthetic wax like 3m perfect it liquid wax over klasse SG. I have read the MSDS from the 3m and it does contain solvents like stodart, and petroleum dist. Are these strong enough to remove the sealant. Or is it just cleaner waxes that have the ability to remove SG.
    Thanks for your time
    andy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: synthetic wax over sealant?

IMHO...3M Show Car Wax (paste or liquid) is a Sealant.

Will it work atop KSG? Probably.

Instead of doing that, though, I would:

-Put a layer of a pure carnuba-wax over the KSG. Or:
    -Put on another layer of the same Sealant...KSG...
    in order to ensure uniform coverage.
    (Instead of a Sealant from a different manufacturer's product line-up)

Whether an LSP-product's stoddard and/or petroleum distillates are:
    "strong enough to remove the sealant" (or other types of LSP's, I'll add)...
    Is often an interesting, quite debatable topic...on many Detailing Forums.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Allow me to expose my ignorance but aren't the terms "synthetic wax" and "paint sealant" synonymous? I thought all pure synthetics were sealants?

Lucky Joe,
    Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question. I do know there are some waxes like Fuzion that combine carnauba and synthetic polymers. Mike Phillips has some articles on all the different varieties of waxes and sealants, which might help. I like to use Fuzion over a sealant on my cars.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arjo.reich View Post
    Allow me to expose my ignorance but aren't the terms "synthetic wax" and "paint sealant" synonymous?

^^^Usually...In car-care-speak^^^

I thought all pure synthetics were sealants?

^^^In a manner of speaking...Yes!^^^
    There are, actually: 'True Synthetic Waxes'.

-These synthetic-waxes are paraffin-waxes...obtained from processing natural gas.
    -This is in contrast to obtaining paraffin-waxes from petroleum/petroleum by-products.

However...
    Synthetic-waxes can be used in/for the same applications
    as petroleum-paraffin-waxes...including car-care products.

Bob

PS...I'll see if I can locate the name for the: Synthetic-wax process.
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    ...I'll see if I can locate the name for the: Synthetic-wax process.

Found it...
    FWIW: Fischer-Tropsch Process

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Hey guys,
    Here's the question, can you layer a synthetic wax like 3m perfect it liquid wax over klasse SG. I have read the MSDS from the 3m and it does contain solvents like stodart, and petroleum dist. Are these strong enough to remove the sealant. Or is it just cleaner waxes that have the ability to remove SG.
    Thanks for your time
    andy
    I doubt you will have an issue. I did a test recently and found sealants like WGDGS and Powerlock were not affected by mineral spirits, IPA (70%), and APC+(1:4). I believe these sealants are quite chemically resistant, at least when they are fresh (when you will be layering).

I also found they stick (as chemical resistant) almost just as well when applied over an acrylic type glaze, like Black Hole. While these results can't be applied to every product, I think you will be fine. The only I found that removed the sealants to any degree where products with abrasives and corrosive wheel cleaner.

I was wondering about layering myself and if the "wax" was removing / or mixing with the sealant. Now I'm pretty confident in that there likely is nothing strong enough in a "wax" (synthetic or otherwise) that will remove most better sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the wealth of information
    The reason im doing this is because i like the longevity and the pop of the 3m, ive used r22 on top of KSG with great results, but short lived protection. For those that are interested 3m contains siloxanes as the main synthetic protectant, but as far as I understand they dont form a bond with the paint like acrylic sealants. More like a barier that "sits" on the paint. If you really want to try something wild pour equal portions of 3m and collinite 845 mix well apply sparringly, and step back! This will blow your mind. I came up with this cause i Liked both products, but hated the amount of time to put both on seperatly. I dont know the specific chemistries involved, as this was more of a backyard hack, but the reults were amazing.
    andy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Thank you all for the wealth of information
    The reason im doing this is because i like the longevity and the pop of the 3m, ive used r22 on top of KSG with great results, but short lived protection. For those that are interested 3m contains siloxanes as the main synthetic protectant, but as far as I understand they dont form a bond with the paint like acrylic sealants. More like a barier that "sits" on the paint. If you really want to try something wild pour equal portions of 3m and collinite 845 mix well apply sparringly, and step back! This will blow your mind. I came up with this cause i Liked both products, but hated the amount of time to put both on seperatly. I dont know the specific chemistries involved, as this was more of a backyard hack, but the reults were amazing.
    andy
    Got any pics of this special mix on your car? If you like the pop of a 10 dollar synthetic, I'm sure you'll go bananas if you put fuzion on your car or any other good wax like pinnacle sourvern, dodo juice, auto finesse, lusso oro, or some of the cg waxes. But if you prefer sealants, I'd give menzerna power lock a chance. Just read the recent thread about it and how it refuses to go away.