autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New 4Runner Limited - with swirlys

I recently picked up a nearly new, black 2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited, which was owned by an older couple first before being traded in after a few months. They must've run it through a car wash a few times, because there's definitely some minor swirling going on.

After buying it i washed, clayed and polished the entire thing, by hand, with Zaino Z1. It definitely helped, however the swirls still exist.

I've never polished with power tools however i'm thinking thats what will be needed to remove my swirly issue. Since i'm new to detailing properly, and this site, i've been reading up on the Porter Cable 7424 and the Meguiars G110v2. Any opinions on which to go with? Also, it appears that many people have had success going with Wolfgang TSR 3.0, and finishing it up with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Since i don't want to go too abrasive on a new vehicle, i was thinking of starting with this combo, with the white polishing pad.

Does this sound like a good combo to start out with, in order to get me where i want to be?

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New 4Runner Limited - with swirlys

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnstone View Post
    I recently picked up a nearly new, black 2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited, which was owned by an older couple first before being traded in after a few months. They must've run it through a car wash a few times, because there's definitely some minor swirling going on.

After buying it i washed, clayed and polished the entire thing, by hand, with Zaino Z1. It definitely helped, however the swirls still exist.

I've never polished with power tools however i'm thinking thats what will be needed to remove my swirly issue. Since i'm new to detailing properly, and this site, i've been reading up on the Porter Cable 7424 and the Meguiars G110v2. Any opinions on which to go with? Also, it appears that many people have had success going with Wolfgang TSR 3.0, and finishing it up with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Since i don't want to go too abrasive on a new vehicle, i was thinking of starting with this combo, with the white polishing pad.

Does this sound like a good combo to start out with, in order to get me where i want to be?

Thanks!!
    If you are going to get a polisher, get the Griots Gen 3. It has more power than the Porter and is overall the better machine. I have heard bad things about the Megs polisher with regards to reliability and vibration. Also it is done on power to the Porter

I am a Menzerna guy.

I would recommend for you
    PF-2500 on a white pad
    SF-4500 on a red pad
    Finished with WDGPS

The wolfgang twins (TSR and FG) are menzerna based products. I believe you will get great results from them. You can get them in a kit with some pads as well.

Toyotas tend to be medium-soft with regards to the clear coat. So they polish out quick easily.

Make sure you use good quality, plush micro-fibre towels and you can achieve great results.

Post some before and after pics too!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

For sure get the Griot's Garage unit. The gen 3 of course just came out, little better egronomics than gen 2 but the same machine otherwise. If you can find the gen 2 at a steal then STEAL that sucker.

If you buy a kit here on AG you'll get 6½" pads with it, likely you can pick the pad colors. I'd recommend at least 5~6 (minimum) of your pads being the same color as the 'workhorse' pads, (white perhaps). To do swirl removal on the 4Runner it'll easily take 6 (or more) to cover that beast. Using 2 ~ 3 pads will just cause them to clog and ruin your work.

Now the fun part.... To get some more pads AND have a few 4" pads on hand AG has a great kit for the PC/GG type machines that has 5" and 3½" backing plates, four 4" pads, cleaning spur, some more pads, bonnetts, XMT pad cleaner, XMT pad conditioner and all sorts of cool stuff.

With the mix of pads in that kit, plus what you get up front you'll have everything you need to get the 4Runner done without having to stop, clean pads, and wait on them to dry. They are CCS pads however and some don't like them but it's more of a matter of what you get used to as some do. (I use CCS and flats fwiw.)

The GG will turn 6" pads fine so you don't have to rush out and get smaller ones right away, especially if you only have the one car you're working with.

When you do want to get to smaller ones, the kit has that 5" so you can load up on 5½" pads as they go on sale.

Just a thought.... ymmv

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for the response.

I think i'll go with the Griots Gen 3, and will pick up a variety of pads and the Wolfgang polishes/swirl remover.

Since i'll be working on a larger vehicle, how often do you guys recommend to clean the pads or change them? For instance if i'm starting with an orange pad on the hood, will that same orange pad stay in good enough condition to complete half of the vehicle, or should i switch it out to a new orange pad after each major body panel?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I think i'll go with the Griots Gen 3, and will pick up a variety of pads and the Wolfgang polishes/swirl remover.

Since i'll be working on a larger vehicle, how often do you guys recommend to clean the pads or change them? For instance if i'm starting with an orange pad on the hood, will that same orange pad stay in good enough condition to complete half of the vehicle, or should i switch it out to a new orange pad after each major body panel?

Thanks!
    Typically every 20-30 minutes. As you gain more experience you will learn when the pad is dirty.

Quite often you do not need to setup a whole new pad. You can use Mikes "cleaning on the fly" technique
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuyrBrqz_YU]How To Clean Your Pad On The Fly - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like
    They heavier polishing your doing, the more frequent you will need to change your pads. Wolfgang TSR is a great swirl buster. I would also get a 3" backing plate and some small pads for it.

It's very important to have good lighting and do a test spot. Buffing out a whole car to find out you didn't remove the swirls 2 days later when looking at it in a different light is very frustrating. And, it takes almost as long to do it wrong as it does to do it right.

I would also get a bottle of Wolfgang or Blackfire pad cleaner, this will make cleaning the polish out of your pads when your done a lot easier. It's also nice to have the Wolfgang pad priming spray, but you could use a quick Detailer instead.

I agree you will need some nice towels, especially since you are working on black.

Also, this is very important: Check your pads frequently to make sure they are not too hot. The GG6 has the power to burn pads, many first timers have done it, and they blame the machine. The machine itself makes little or no heat. The heat comes from using high pressure and speed with a saturated pad. You probably won't need to work on speed above 5.

Removing defects is all about the right product and pad with the correct combo of: downward pressure and arm speed.

That's all I can think of now. Good luck.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again. I've been reading up on pads, and am trying to determine which is going to be best to start with?

It sounds like I should pickup a 5.5"-6.5" white and red foam pad, and maybe an orange? Should i stick with Griots pads, or since i'm starting new, would it be better to go with the Lake Country CCS pads?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think i'm going to go with this kit, since it seems to include nearly all of what i'm looking for, at a discount.

Griot’s Garage Random Orbital Wolfgang Duo

Should i add the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant for the final step since it's the only thing not included?

Post Thanks / Like

I put together my own kit a couple months ago in order to get 5.5" pads. I ended up ordering more a week later. You can never have too many pads imo. I like Lake Country 5.5" flat and Hydrotech on my Porter Cable. I have enjoyed every Wolfgang product I've tried so far. Welcome to AGO and a rewarding hobby!

Edit: I find myself using 4" LC pads quite a bit for tight spots with a 3.5" backing plate.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    Check out this link for an idea on keeping pads clean. Mikes articles and videos are a Godsend!

With an orange pad, honestly, I'd stop at the hood then clean it and leave it to dry. Another pad for the roof, (possibly going back to the dry hood pad ½ ~ ¾ way through). Another pad for the front fender, front door x 2, and then another one for each rear side. There is no way I'd even attempt swirl removal with less than 4 clean, dry pads! Six would be better. Thing is.... once you get to going at at, and the pads start getting dirty, you either have to stop, or you can spray some cleaner on them, throw them in a bucket with some Snappy Clean in it and keep on going. It's a lifesaver! (once you get the hang of it you'll be glad you did)

Once the serious swirl removal is done. the lighter polishing, by not having to work the paint as hard, takes a lesser toll on the pads. IE; you'll need less pads. IOW's, if you used 6 orange, then 4 white should be fine. Move to black/blue 3 ~ 4 will be great in most instances. Heck I don't even own but 2 red in any one size. (That'll change next order however.)

Now you're probably saying.... "This is getting crazy", that's what our wife's say all the time. It's almost like the street dealer that gives away the first sample, then the rest really cost ya'. Consider the buffer the sample, and to use it correctly it will take an investment in pads. However, you and your vehicles will thank you for it.

A man is only as good as his tools, and good tools are one thing AG has plenty of. The good part is you only have to seriously invest once, after that it's just compounds, polishes, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast