autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody feel like helping a complete noob save some money?

I need to completely start from scratch and created a shopping cart for myself but at over $600 its making me pucker a little bit. I don't plan on starting a business but I do want my personal vehicles looking pretty decent for a long time. My vehicles are a 2010 Ram 2500, 2004 Escalade esv, and 2013 Hyundai Elantra.

So far this is what I've come up with:

Does anybody see somewhere where I'm wasting money or I don't need it right now or am I missing anything?

In the past it would take me at least 4 hours just to do a wash and wax on just one of my trucks. I've never done a compound or used a machine for this type of work before. I'm hoping to speed the process up some as well as come out with a better result.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody feel like helping a complete noob save some money?

Kind of the price of admission. If you're trying to shave a little off of there, you might want to cut the 105/205 to the small bottles, should be enough to get your vehicles done. If you buy the quarts, the unit price is cheaper but you will have a lifetime supply that you will probably never use.

Also, I see you have wax and sealant LSP's, which is fine, you could pick one or the other. A lot of people like Powerlock, which is on sale for $5 less than the UPP.

Those Guzzlers are really nice towels, they are a bit pricey, when I buy something like that I look for a sale or BOGO.

The bad news is that if this is bothering your wallet, you might want to turn back now, it only gets worse. Other than that, I think you made good choices, looks like you thought it out well, just what I would expect from a building engineer

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with a griots unit. More power and better warranty. The microfibers are just average that comes with the kit. Most of the time you can get just as much not using a kit.

You can also use a discount code that will allow additional money off but they usually are not offered on kits that are discounted.

Just some thoughts

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eandras View Post
    You can also use a discount code that will allow additional money off but they usually are not offered on kits that are discounted.
    Good point, make sure to use a discount code or wait for a sale.

Post Thanks / Like

The first order is often the most expensive as it covers every area. I would use reviews and search the BOGO and sample areas to try things first and find the greatest value too.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bldgengineer View Post
    I need to completely start from scratch and created a shopping cart for myself but at over $600 its making me pucker a little bit. I don't plan on starting a business but I do want my personal vehicles looking pretty decent for a long time. My vehicles are a 2010 Ram 2500, 2004 Escalade esv, and 2013 Hyundai Elantra.

So far this is what I've come up with:

You have made a great list.
    I would suggest the following changes. Some of these are personal preferences.

You probably don't need 3 guzzlers, pick a large size

I would get Optimum Power Clean instead M103. More versatile and safe on most surfaces. BTW the OCW that comes free is a great product for after wash

PERL can replace 303 Protectant and maybe Gloss Tire Gel. Use on External plastics, Engine, Tires, Interior rubber / dashboard / leather / vinyl

Is your plan to seal and top with wax? If not, you could eliminate either 845 or FSUPP
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Kind of the price of admission. If you're trying to shave a little off of there, you might want to cut the 105/205 to the small bottles, should be enough to get your vehicles done. If you buy the quarts, the unit price is cheaper but you will have a lifetime supply that you will probably never use.

Also, I see you have wax and sealant LSP's, which is fine, you could pick one or the other. A lot of people like Powerlock, which is on sale for $5 less than the UPP.

Those Guzzlers are really nice towels, they are a bit pricey, when I buy something like that I look for a sale or BOGO.

The bad news is that if this is bothering your wallet, you might want to turn back now, it only gets worse. Other than that, I think you made good choices, looks like you thought it out well, just what I would expect from a building engineer
    Lol Thanks! I've actually been racking my brain with this since I got the Hyundai last Friday.

Do you mind suggesting a couple of towels? Also, do you think the 8oz bottles of the 105/205 will be enough do all three vehicles? I don't plan on compounding the new car but would like to clay and polish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eandras View Post
    I would go with a griots unit. More power and better warranty. The microfibers are just average that comes with the kit. Most of the time you can get just as much not using a kit.

Just some thoughts

Ed
    Got any suggestions on the MF? I wasn't even paying attention to the ones in the kit and didn't even know they came with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    You have made a great list.
    I would suggest the following changes. Some of these are personal preferences.

You probably don't need 3 guzzlers, pick a large size

I would get Optimum Power Clean instead M103. More versatile and safe on most surfaces. BTW the OCW that comes free is a great product for after wash

PERL can replace 303 Protectant and maybe Gloss Tire Gel. Use on External plastics, Engine, Tires, Interior rubber / dashboard / leather / vinyl

Is your plan to seal and top with wax? If not, you could eliminate either 845 or FSUPP
    What size bottle of PERL would you suggest? There's a lot of leather in the Caddy. Also, I do plan on sealing and coating with a top wax. Is one bottle of sealer enough for these size of vehicles?

Thanks again for the responses guys! I really wasn't expecting so many so quick!

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I would say about 1oz of polish/compound per vehicle, maybe more on the Escalade. Depends how often you change pads, etc. The sealant and 845 more like 1/2-1 oz per vehicle.

Those rolled edge towels are a good price, better than some of the other Cobra towels. If you can get them on sale or BOGO, do it. AG isn't the cheapest place for towels, so I usually don't buy towels here unless they are sale or BOGO, but the regular price for the rolled edge is a fair price.

A couple of other options for your interiors are Duragloss Leather Conditioner (LC) #221 and Optimum Protectant Plus offers complete protection for interior leather, vinyl, plastic & rubber dressing. vinyl and rubber dressing, vinyl

PS Those Elantras are really nice, I want to go look at one of the new GT's. And just to confuse you on the pads and polishes you might want to try this: Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit It's really easy and works well.

Post Thanks / Like

After your initial order and you want to save money....stop reading the forums...lol

Then you'll wonder about a rotary, a Flex, Gtechniq products, AIOs, water based polishes .etc....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bldgengineer View Post
    Lol Thanks! I've actually been racking my brain with this since I got the Hyundai last Friday.

What size bottle of PERL would you suggest? There's a lot of leather in the Caddy. Also, I do plan on sealing and coating with a top wax. Is one bottle of sealer enough for these size of vehicles?

Thanks again for the responses guys! I really wasn't expecting so many so quick!
    For leather PERL is diluted 5:1 so 500ml is fine. As far as sealant, I haven't used UPP but 16oz is a lot of sealant. Sealant are applied very thin. See CEE DOG's review for more insiight
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast