autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help w/ this rust problem

How do you prevent the brake rotor from turning rusty? It's 2 wks old. THanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help w/ this rust problem

take the wheel off, scrape the rust off with a metal brush, mask it and paint it with a high temp paint. the winter salt on the roads will still eat away the paint and make it rust again but that's about the best you can do

Post Thanks / Like

paint w/ high temp paint? I did think of that but i though maybe there's an easier way I'm lazy

Post Thanks / Like

Next time, dont cheap out and get the zinc coated rotors? Besides that, spraying is the way to go.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    Next time, dont cheap out and get the zinc coated rotors? Besides that, spraying is the way to go.
    I got those rotors at Advance auto parts. Did not know it would end up like this. Lesson learned.

Post Thanks / Like

You and I both. Got money from CarQuest. Had em put on a month ago and it already looks bad lol
    2004 Silverado SS, victory red

2007 BMW 328xi, SGM

Post Thanks / Like

I can still see the cross hatching on the rotors which means they are still in their break-in period... that looks pretty bad. Maybe corrosion x might help?
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

opie_7afe

most rotors will rust there over time and even as soon as you get them out of the packaging, best is to degrease them, cover up the braking surface and use high temp paint as kaban suggested. you dont need to scrape it grab some purple power deruster and let the parts soak in that for a little bit while you minds well detail your wheel wells and suspension parts, and it will just disolve the rust and leave clean metal and clean it up with prep cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and start painting...might be good to put the high temp clearcoat as well will last longer then just the paint alone or go with some high quality caliper paint and paint calipers as well. either option will work.ive never had any performance issues on a rotor from a big auto parts store, bare metal rusts so best to paint them before installation if your wheel style shows that area of the rotor. good luck. btw, i just removed a flywheel and pressure plate from my car last weekend, it looks worse then that rust on your rotor. its just the nature of iron outside, remember at nighttime there is dew which = high humidity and you all know that = rust.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe you can take them off soak them in Evapo-Rust which is really good at removing rust. and then after paint them.

USED G2 USA Paint (below pics)

2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD Black Sapphire Metallic; Modded

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happened to me right after I installed new brake rotors on my car. Mine originally came with cross-drilled rotors, so I went with the same (Zimmerman, Made in Germany). Less than 1 week later, they looked like yours. So I ended up doing what most said above....removed/sanded the rust down, used a high-temp primer (Rustoleum Auto Primer), then a high-temp enamel (Rustoleum 500 Degree F enamel in cast coat aluminum), then a high-temp clearcoat (can't remember what I used because I threw the can away, but it was a similar Rustoleum product).

Didn't feel like removing the caliper again, so it was tougher to paint around. Plus I also wanted to get in the cross drills too, because they were showing rust too. I did get some paint on the brake surface, but it wasn't too much, and a quick drive and some braking wiped the surface clean.

Pics show the before, after sanding, primer painting, final painting, and then the wheel months later after removing it (yeah, it still rusted a little bit where the wheel meets the rotor hat, but overall, it still looks great.

Cintoman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help w/ this rust problem-img_3206sm-jpg   Need help w/ this rust problem-img_3207sm-jpg   Need help w/ this rust problem-img_3208sm-jpg   Need help w/ this rust problem-img_3209sm-jpg   Need help w/ this rust problem-img_3210sm-jpg   Need help w/ this rust problem-img_3483sm-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast