autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lesson for new car buyers :)

Well... I haven't posted here in a while... been so busy with work and home, and haven't done much detailing. I just put my car away for the winter, but I thought I'd share with my fellow geekers a tip or two and also introduce you to my new lady!

Some of you know that I had a Nissan Z... was a great car...

but for reasons too long to get into, I now drive a 2012 Mustang 5.0. For the first time, I ordered a new-new car... meaning, usually, I buy it off the lot to save money. As you know, these "new" cars sit on the lot and get treated to test drives, people touching it, and of course, dealers "detailing" it. So my cars were always SWIRLED and MARRED to hell... and I could never achieve 98% or better correction, because I never wanted to take the paint down that much... just a personal thing I guess. So I always had about 90-95 at best. Some deep RIDS just had to stay there and ALWAYS bothered me.

This time around, the deal was too good to pass up, so I ordered me a brand new one. And I made sure I wanted to do it RIGHT. So I carefully instructed my dealer/sales contact exactly HOW I wanted this car delivered to me. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get to the dealership in time to watch them back it up off the truck, but I was there when all the factory wrap and tape and etc were all on the car. I told them NOT TO TOUCH THE PAINT AT ALL!!! I was going to be the one to do all the peeling there... then they have to do their final inspection etc etc. So I peeled everything off, and I could see from the sun, despite the dirt, the paint was PERFECT. I have never seen PERFECT paint. I mean I was blown away. So it looked good to me, so I told the dealer, I'm good to go. No swirls, no scratches no NOTHING. Virgin paint, so to speak. Dealer goes, "So you want us to detail and wash it for you right?". I responded with a loud, "NO... not at all". "So you want us to deliver it to you dirty?". "YES PLEASE". You should have seen the look on their faces... haha...it was classic.

Anyways, just wanted to share that experience with you all. Now, sitting in my garage, I have a 99% (there's always going to be SOMEthing I didn't see, maybe) perfect paint on my car. So for you new car buyers, if you ordered BRAND new, make sure you tell them NOT TO TOUCH THE CAR till you get there... under ANY circumstance. Make sure YOU do the peeling of the factory tape. If you let them do it, there will be marring and fingernail scratches from them doing that.

I still plan on giving her a VERY light polish next spring... maybe gray or white pad with Super Finish.... then go straight to glaze and seal and nuba. We'll see.

With that, I'd like to introduce you to Marilyn... my new lady. She had 6.8 miles off the truck, prior to dealer inspections/testing.

Sitting at Dealer, wrapped up, dirty, but SWIRL FREE!

9.6 Miles on the odometer upon delivery to me!!! I take pics like this on every new car I get

Finally got her home! Dirty, but unscathed

The night I took her home, I had a prior engagement, I only had time to work on the car starting at 9 pm. So there I was, 40 degree weather and all, gave her a wash with grit guards and double buckets around 10 pm... dried her with some detail spray, inspected her under my halogen tower lights, found NO swirls, as expected... so I proceeded to wax her with Souveran... no sealant yet, until I do a quick clay, Menzerna PO85RD, then sealed with either Blackfire or Chem guys Jet Seal. This will help the paint breathe too, at least for a few weeks.

And here are the pics from that night inside the garage, at 1 a.m. in the morning. Kona blue in ALL its glory. Again, this is UNcorrected paint... no buffing. Just wash and souveran.

Then the next morning, as sun was up, got some Glamour shots in my driveway. Too cold for a time elapse photo or HDR, will do those at a later point... maybe spring. But anyways, here's the last of the pics. Note the sun shots, and swirl free paint. Again, not because I buffed it, but because I didn't let the DEALER buff it... LOL Enjoy!!!

2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lesson for new car buyers :)

Your new lady is beautiful!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice when I bought mine new with 15miles on the clock it looked like someone took a push broom to it. To this day i still got some RIDS here and there because of how poor they kept it on the lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    Your new lady is beautiful!
    Thanks Meghan... my wife laughs at me all the time when I refer to my cars as girlfriends... lol... Roxy (RX7), Gina (G35 coupe), and Zena (370z)...

Quote Originally Posted by 05xrunner View Post
    Nice when I bought mine new with 15miles on the clock it looked like someone took a push broom to it. To this day i still got some RIDS here and there because of how poor they kept it on the lot.
    Thanks man. EXACTLY how I felt about my prior cars. I too, had RIDS like that... annoying as hell. I knew I could correct it fully, but to take the paint down that much for just one or two deep RIDS? screw that... that's why I lived with it.. but it sucked so bad.

Btw, what do you have lurking in your garage there? That looks like a Shelby eh??? I LIKEY.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish it was a GT500 its just a GT that has some stuff done to it and a Shelby spoiler

Post Thanks / Like

I love the new Mustang GT. The Kona Blue paint is amazing looking. Good luck with Marilyn.

Post Thanks / Like

nice stangs

not such a fan of the murdered out look but it works on that body shape for some reason... are those lc818's on her?
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05xrunner View Post
    I wish it was a GT500 its just a GT that has some stuff done to it and a Shelby spoiler
    Beautiful car bro... I wish mine was a Shelby too. I test drove one and almost bought that instead... luckily, I value my marriage lol. Also, one last thing before we get back on topic... you on mustangsource.com? look me up... fromzto5 on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    I love the new Mustang GT. The Kona Blue paint is amazing looking. Good luck with Marilyn.
    Bobby thank you. I'm glad I got a 2012. They stopped offering Kona as a color for 2013 and beyond... I don't know why. Now it's Deep Impact Blue... which is I believe just a blue, and non metallic even... lifeless.

I wish I could detail here over winter... but alas, I don't have a heated garage will have to hibernate not only my car, but my Flex and PC... LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your new Mustang and good move to clue the dealership in. It looks great and I know you'll love it.
    James
    2011 Mustang GT

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

no I am on moddedmustangs and mustangforums
    No they are 19" Drag DR37 wheels

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast