autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking about Opti-Coating my car???

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    If you're paint is soft enough that you're getting wash-induced marring or swirls from a QD you want Opti Coat. I experimented on my truck a bit before trying it on the super-soft black bike. If you've used Opti Seal you might as well already have used Opti Coat. There's too many issues being raised with application and high spots. IMO it's a non-issue.

I found on white I needed to apply with one hand with a Brinkmann in the other...it's almost impossible to see going on white. On the black I should've had better light but I was eager to see what's what. In the sun the next day I found some high spots... gave 'em a rub with Poli Seal and fixed it right up.

As for increased hardness, I went for a ride on the bike and got the front fairing covered with bug guts. Regardless of what I softened 'em up with previously cleaning the fairing always produced marring. I simply softened 'em up with a QD and wiped 'em off the Opti Coated surface, rolled it out in the sun and there wasn't a mark! I don't think Opti Coat is a cure-all for stoopid-soft paint that swirls when you look at it but it's gotta help. And it'll get even better as it cures and hardens more. I'm sold!

So if you Opti Coat what will you do with that Fuzion you scarfed up on sale down at the mall?

TL
    Got to agree with TL....I have super soft black paint as well and Opti-Coat has left my car with less swirls and marring. I still have some very light swirls but I might buff them out with a fine polish. I have to say it been worth it because my car paint still looks really good.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think OC would be right for you for a couple reasons. Even though sealants wouldn't last long, you don't drive in wet weather or likely wash every or other weekend, giving you some time with a stellar look from a high end sealant. BFWD is so easy to apply and take off, that re-applying a couple times shouldn't be an issue.

A good wash would allow to strip the BFWD, put something else on (Fuzion) w/o worrying about inducing marring on the super soft paint. You seem to want to try alot of different products and I think OC would work great to protect that soft clear providing a harder clean sketch to work on.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to try OC on my car this weekend (2012 Civic Si in black), so I can report back with posts after that. We all know Honda black paint is very soft!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

alright well I just gave my car a once over with some 85RD and a Crimson HT pad..its look perfect again..cleaned up all the little towel marks and micromarring from washing all summer..so its prepped and ready for it..Now I am wondering do I wanna drop the 50bucks on it and its going in storage soon or just throw 2 coats of BFWD on it and call it a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05xrunner View Post
    alright well I just gave my car a once over with some 85RD and a Crimson HT pad..its look perfect again.. cleaned up all the little towel marks and micromarring from washing all summer..so its prepped and ready for it..Now I am wondering do I wanna drop the 50bucks on it and its going in storage soon or just throw 2 coats of BFWD on it and call it a day.
    That Mustang is beautiful and really deserves the protection Optimum Opti-Coat.

After getting the finish gorgeously wet looking once again you cannot not apply Optimum Opti-Coat.

Optimum Opti-Coat is reportedly very hard, actually harder than the clear on your car. I see no reason why you still couldn't seal or wax to give the finish added depth and a bit more protection.

It's really personal preference but do not not use it because you feel it's too difficult because it's not...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

TL is right about Opti Seal. I will add that if youve applied UPGP before, get a small finger pump mister, transfer about 10 ml of OC , prime an MF pad with a couple spritzes and apply just like UPGP. This eliminated high spots. for me!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

If I still had my garage queen, a variety of LSPs and at least two days of free time a month I wouldn't do it.
    Hello my name is Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    That Mustang is beautiful and really deserves the protection Optimum Opti-Coat.

After getting the finish gorgeously wet looking once again you cannot not apply Optimum Opti-Coat.

Optimum Opti-Coat is reportedly very hard, actually harder than the clear on your car. I see no reason why you still couldn't seal or wax to give the finish added depth and a bit more protection.

It's really personal preference but do not not use it because you feel it's too difficult because it's not...

I've always been under the impression that once OC was applied, you could not wax over it... That is the only thing that has been holding me from trying it... So, can wax be used over OC? (I think CQ can be topped, right?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROMEO View Post
    I've always been under the impression that once OC was applied, you could not wax over it... That is the only thing that has been holding me from trying it... So, can wax be used over OC? (I think CQ can be topped, right?)
    From what I understand, it's not that you can't, it's that nothing wants to stick to OC (even more OC), so any wax/sealant you put on top of it doesn't last long.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

well i finished the car up tonight...I ended up only doing the BFWD on it..cause I made an appointment for next wed to get the windows tinted..rather use the money for that...Car looks fantastic though..BFWD does not play nice if you apply by hand for me..it dusted like crazy..when i did with my PC last time there was very minimal dust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12