autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does opti-coat protect against swirls & chips?

To your question ... no, it doesn't help prevent swirls or scratches. I have to be equally as careful with Opti coat as I did before Opti coat. It's peace of mind knowing your paint has anither layer of protection, and ease of maintenance (no more waxing or sealants) that you are buying.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

OC beads very nicely. If you've polished off OC then it will no longer bead. That's how you can tell. If it were me I would polish carefully and check. You can always polish an area more I'd you didn't remove all of the OC

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
    The reason I ask that last question is, say I'm polishing to remove swirls that have appeared over time in the OC. How would I know that I've polished it off and it's time to re-coat?
    Very nice? I can't wait for the answer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
    The reason I ask that last question is, say I'm polishing to remove swirls that have appeared over time in the OC. How would I know that I've polished it off and it's time to re-coat?
    I would like to know as well. Interesting stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortymgee View Post
    Very nice? I can't wait for the answer
    You would be able to tell if you polished thru if your paint seemed to have no LSP. Beading would fall away and dirt/ contaminants would start sticking again. OC beading is pretty impressive...you would know if it was gone.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    I'm curious too, should you polish enough to be SURE you removed OC or just enough to get the swirls out? As I understand it OC doesn't layer. Is that because it doesn't stick to itself or does another application dissolve the previous layer similar to other waxes/sealants?
    The reason is because it doesn't stick to itself. OC is thick enough that when you do get very fine lines (scratches) from washing you can use a finishing polish with a finishing pad to remove the fine scratches and still have OC left so you could theoretically do this a number of times before you have to recoat.

Also, if I can ask Chris to repeat himself or dismiss this... Chris did you say in the past that we can in fact add another layer of OC after we have polishing it... Not removed it but just polished it (roughed up the surface) with a finishing polish? In other words say someone has polished the OC a good amount of times with finishing polish and there is a spot that you can tell the OC is worn through. Can they at this point go ahead and prep the surface free of oils and add another coat of OC or do they have to make sure they removed the rest of the OC?
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I have used opti coat on 4 cars now(2 black, one pearl, one red) over the last 5 months, so I cannot comment on long time durability(that has been done elsewhere). I have been quite impressed with this product in all respects. On very soft black(Infiniti G35), it has definitely helped decrease wash-induced marring, and makes washing easier, as it "sheds" dirt more easily, meaning less rubbing. On a black C4(notoriously hard paint), it looks great, and requires less washing. It has even convinced me to start using waterless washes, which have worked out well. Don't be mistaken, you still have to be careful, but it is a quality product, and not too difficult to apply.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    You would be able to tell if you polished thru if your paint seemed to have no LSP. Beading would fall away and dirt/ contaminants would start sticking again. OC beading is pretty impressive...you would know if it was gone.

I see I see
    So just simply sprinkle water as I work. Easy enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seaho View Post
    I have used opti coat on 4 cars now(2 black, one pearl, one red) over the last 5 months, so I cannot comment on long time durability(that has been done elsewhere). I have been quite impressed with this product in all respects. On very soft black(Infiniti G35), it has definitely helped decrease wash-induced marring, and makes washing easier, as it "sheds" dirt more easily, meaning less rubbing. On a black C4(notoriously hard paint), it looks great, and requires less washing. It has even convinced me to start using waterless washes, which have worked out well. Don't be mistaken, you still have to be careful, but it is a quality product, and not too difficult to apply.

I second his answer as I have a black Infiniti 05 G35 and I can say that Opti-Coat does add protection from swirls but you still have to be careful. My car has significantly less swirls than it would have had, had I just used any sealant or wax. My car is so much more cleaner and dust free than when I used BFWD or whatever its called.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post

Hey Chris,

My biggest concern with Opti-coat is the need to completely remove the coating if I need to fix a section. God knows that my cars are constantly pelted with SoCal freeway debris. Not a big issue with waxes or sealants for a buck or two but I would love some true body armour. Do I misunderstand the issue?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast