autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question concerning 3M Clear Bra

I purchased a new 911 and took delivery about 90 days ago. I plan to concours the car, I am getting ready to give it a good going over for the first time. With my last car, I experimented alot. I found the following to work really well:

1) Meguiars wash
    2) Sonus fine clay
    3) Wolfgang DG Paint sealant
    4) Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax

This car for the first time has a 3M clear bra. My questions are as follows:

a) would you clay bar the 3M bra?
    b) would you use the Wolfgang on it?

I searched the forums, some recommended just cleaning it, removing and marks with Alcohol, and using the Meguiars NXT 2.0 only on the clear bra portions.

Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question concerning 3M Clear Bra

Have same thing...and I feed the material with what was given to me, a spray light foaming conditioner called Plexus. I use it several times, let sit and buff. Great conditioning and shine. Then, later when its time for "wax" etc, it clay it lightly, and then you can add sealants or a fine wax. I use the Griot's carnuba stick, on Titanium Silver BMW, and it simply glows. Slick and shiney. I would think it will matter little what you use for final app. If it is new, you may not need to clay unless it has been outside and acquired a good coating of roadie/city roughness. But I feed it 2x a year with that Plexus, [love this stuff] and then wax away, plus use Speed Shine which does a great job with the 3m Bra..good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't clay the 3M. Wash as you would the rest of the car and use whatever your LSP of choice is on it.
    John
    Mean people suck

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering the same thing. Also, does the 3M clear bra have any negative effects on your paint. Sorry, I'm a noob on here...LSP??

Post Thanks / Like

Do not clay the clear bra.....wash as normal and protect with Plexus....

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have said, just wash as normal. No need to clay. Contaminants don't stick to it like normal paint does. I found the Optimum Car Wax (OCW) works very well with it. Very slick.
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by indianam3 View Post
    I purchased a new 911 and took delivery about 90 days ago. I plan to concours the car, I am getting ready to give it a good going over for the first time. With my last car, I experimented alot. I found the following to work really well:

1) Meguiars wash
    2) Sonus fine clay
    3) Wolfgang DG Paint sealant
    4) Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax

This car for the first time has a 3M clear bra. My questions are as follows:

a) would you clay bar the 3M bra?
    b) would you use the Wolfgang on it?

I searched the forums, some recommended just cleaning it, removing and marks with Alcohol, and using the Meguiars NXT 2.0 only on the clear bra portions.

Opinions?
    What generation is this 3M clear bra? Who was the installer? Did the new bra come with care instructions? Being a new PPF bra, there is the warranty issue to consider. And NO!--do not clay, do not use abrasive cleaners/polishes/waxes (see above warranty concern)

I do have Plexus as one of my detail supplies. However, Plexus is not intended or designed for use on polyurethane PPF---the bra may look real nice and shiny now, but it will definitely yellow the PPF! Plexus was designed for use, and is excellent on, polycarbonates--headlights, taillights, helmet face shields.

3M has on their PPF web site care/maintenance FAQs. If you so desire:
    FAQs

If one chooses not to follow their PPF manufacturer's recommended products, the only two companies that I'm aware of that provides guaranteed, and recommended by the PPF manufacturers, cleaning/protection products for all of the PPF manufacturers. And they are:

XPel Technologies Corp.: 210.678.3700; and,

Premier Protective Fims, Int.:510.623.1308
    You can visit their web sites for further info, if you would want to.

I have personally been using the XPel products for a long time now, with excellent results, but you won't go wrong with either of the above options.

PPF is, IMO, worth its cost and the difference between it and a re-spray--- the unnecessary costs for its replacement for use of not recommended products, especially while under warranty, should and can be avoided.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for new perspective on the claying...will choose not to do that now. Thanks; tho it was done very lightly and only after it had been exposed to a LOT of air pollutants a year ago. It is delightfully clear, after 2 years, but of course gets decent gentle washes and conditioned.