autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SONAX Full Effect Wheel Cleaner Question

I am a big fan of DP wheel cleaner!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Griots is a great value and nice size too ... Sonax color change is cool, but both need some agitation IMO.

I'd say the SONAX needs a lot of agitation. I havent tried Griots, I may have to order some.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a bottle of SONAX for the tough jobs. I only use it on neglected wheels, and it works wonders on them. For standard wheels, its P21S regular, and if its a car that I have treated, just the car soap.

I agree, if you keep your auto in good condition, you will not notice a difference. The SONAX shines on a really beat surface that needs a aggressive cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

While i wont discount sonax so much as it serves a purpose, i have to say i was dissappointed with it. I had a Lincoln Town Car that I had sprayed evenly with Sonax and there was no color change after 10 minutes, and agitation only helped some. I then went to my stand by eagle1 a2z wheel and tire cleaner and it picked up where sonax left off.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

There must be an issue here somewhere because I use sonax on moderately dirty to filthy wheels and it works great. On most wheels I don't even have to agitate it. Just spray it on, let it sit for about 5 minutes and spray it off with the pressure washer. I've tried P21s, CG Diablo, and a few other wheel cleaners and none of them have the ability to get some of the stuff off without agitation.

the only cons for sonax to me are that I find myself using more than P21s to coat the wheel since it's a thinner viscosity, and 2 it's a tad on the expensive side, even when you buy in bulk. Regardless though I have found it's the best for the job, while still being safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you always use a pressure washer?

I dont know what the issue could be but I tried it on two different sets of wheels and very disappointed. I'll try it again on one more set of wheels and see what it does there.

Post Thanks / Like

Works great for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used many different wheel cleaners, and IMHO, nothing beats Sonax Full Effect. I have used P21S Gel (my old favorite), P21S regular, SCG Beyond Steel, and and many others. For the really dirty and neglected wheels, I would always use the Sonax. It seems to eat away the caked on break dust better then all the others. I have found that not a lot of agitation is needed. I have used it on my BMW, as well as an Audi Q7, Porsche 911, and Porsche Cayenne. It did wonders for the nasty German break dust. If the wheels are not to bad, I would use something that does not require this level of cleaning.
    Barry Schultz
    DETAILED ELEGANCE

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _M_ View Post
    Do you always use a pressure washer?

I dont know what the issue could be but I tried it on two different sets of wheels and very disappointed. I'll try it again on one more set of wheels and see what it does there.
    When I'm looking to not have to agitate (most of the time since i'm lazy) I use the pressure washer. Its the coolest thing because the dirt and grime just melts right off the wheel.

don't get me wrong there are wheels that REQUIRE agitation to even make a dent, but most of the time the pressure washer does the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twistedframe View Post
    When I'm looking to not have to agitate (most of the time since i'm lazy) I use the pressure washer. Its the coolest thing because the dirt and grime just melts right off the wheel.

don't get me wrong there are wheels that REQUIRE agitation to even make a dent, but most of the time the pressure washer does the job.

I guess my point is I wonder how well it would work without a pressure washer, a lot of grimey wheels become very clean by just using a PW even without a cleaner.

I'm just comparing it to products I've already used and all I'm saying is that IMO it's no better than, and in some cases, not as good as other wheel cleaners, primarily DP Gel.

I'm glad your experience and some others that have posted is different.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast