autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Spray on Glass Coating

I wonder how this would work for a sealant.... (They say one spray lasts a year)

"The spray, which is harmless to the environment, can be used to protect against disease, guard vineyards against fungal threats and coat the nose cones of high-speed trains, it has been claimed.

The versatile spray, which forms an easy-clean coating one millionth of a millimetre thick – 500 times thinner than a human hair – can be applied to virtually any surface to protect it against water, dirt, bacteria, heat and UV radiation.

It is hoped that liquid glass, a compound of almost pure silicon dioxide, could soon replace a variety of cleaning products which are harmful to the environment, leaving our world coated in an invisible, wipe-clean sheen.
    The spray forms a water-resistant layer, meaning it can be cleaned using only water. Trials by food-processing companies showed that sterile surfaces covered with a film of liquid glass were equally clean after a rinse with hot water as after their usual treatment with strong bleach.
    The patent for the technology is owned by a German company, Nanopool, which is in discussions with UK companies and the NHS about the use of liquid glass for a wide range of purposes.
    Several organisations are said to be testing the product, including a train company in Britain, which is using liquid glass on both the interior and exterior of the train, a luxury hotel chain, a designer clothing company and a German branch of a hamburger chain.
    Key to the product's versatility is the fact it can be sold in a solution of either alcohol or water, depending on what surface needs to be coated. The layer formed by the liquid glass is said to be flexible and breathable.
    Neil McClelland, Nanopool's UK project manager, told The Independent: "Very soon almost every product you purchase will be protected with a highly durable, easy-to-clean coating ... the concept of spray-on glass is mind-boggling." "
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Mike Phillips

Re: Spray on Glass Coating

A friend called me yesterday and told me about this... he's a pretty smart guy and he was impressed with what he's learned so far.

I always practice and recommend to others to be open to new ideas, new products and procedures...

You never know what awaits us in the future...

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing! Just imagine everything you own, being able to restore it to its original cleanliness just by wiping it down!
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool idea with a ton of possibilities! The only real concerns I have about it would be A: how does it do in situations of high wear such as on the front of a car IE standing up to rocks/minor road debris and B: is it flexible enough to stay with the panel while it flexes without cracking or chipping off.

Does anyone know how it's applied? Is it something that you spray on and wipe down or is it something that is applied via spray gun such as shooting a car?

Post Thanks / Like

It's sprayed on.
    It's so thin I don't think its going to help against damage from rocks but it will probably stand up to them. They are testing it on the nose of high speed trains.
    It's extremely flexible... So much so that you can coat clothing like a shirt or dress with it.
    After you coat that shirt you can pour red wine over the shirt and the wine will come right off.
    My only concern is health and safety. With any kind of Nano technology I think we are playing with things that we don't completely comprehend. They really need to test it out big time. The other thing I think is with all the money all the huge companies make on cleaners their lobbyists are probably going to stop this from happening if they can.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The part I made bold below is news to me. That is awesome!!

"In essence, we extract molecules of silicon dioxide from quartz sand and add molecules of water or ethanol depending on which surface is being coated. The really clever part is that there are no added nano-particles, resins or additives – the coatings form and bond due to quantum forces," Mr McClelland said.
    When bacteria or other microbes land on the glass surface they are not killed, but they cannot divide and replicate easily, he said. .......................
    .................................................. .................................................. ........................
    ..............................Turkish scientists are conducting tests of liquid glass on important national monuments in Turkey, such as the Ataturk Mausoleum in Ankara and the 15th Century Ilyas Bey Mosque in Miletus.
    Professor Bekir Eskici of Ankara University, director of the mosque project, said that the liquid glass solution was applied to the building's dome as well as its decorative marble surfaces in August 2008. The surfaces are still water-repellent and there are no colour changes to the materials, Professor Eskici said.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    The part I made bold below is news to me. That is awesome!!

"In essence, we extract molecules of silicon dioxide from quartz sand and add molecules of water or ethanol depending on which surface is being coated. The really clever part is that there are no added nano-particles, resins or additives – the coatings form and bond due to quantum forces," Mr McClelland said.
    When bacteria or other microbes land on the glass surface they are not killed, but they cannot divide and replicate easily, he said. .......................
    .................................................. .................................................. ........................
    ..............................Turkish scientists are conducting tests of liquid glass on important national monuments in Turkey, such as the Ataturk Mausoleum in Ankara and the 15th Century Ilyas Bey Mosque in Miletus.
    Professor Bekir Eskici of Ankara University, director of the mosque project, said that the liquid glass solution was applied to the building's dome as well as its decorative marble surfaces in August 2008. The surfaces are still water-repellent and there are no colour changes to the materials, Professor Eskici said.
    I found several other articles googling "Nanopool" but this seemed like the most comprehensive and the Nanopool website wasn't that great. I like that they have been testing it on a very wide range of things for at least a couple of years and there haven't been any ill effects as of yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting indeed! Here is another link with a picture of a 50/50

cool

Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive to say the least, I'm interested to hear more....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast