autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Black Car - What to use?

I just purchased a 2007 Infiniti G35 Sport, Black Obsidian on Graphite trim and am looking for recomendations on maintainance for a new car's paint. I'm in the Northeast so we'll be going through winter and I'll be washing the car for a few months outside in the cold temperatures (no heated garage).

I've been looking at the Meguiar's line of products, but I've come aross the Souveran wax from pinnacle and it sounds like it could make a difference on a black car. I've read through the recomendations on Autogeek's site, but I'm not sure if I need everything considering my car is brand new . Three hours of research on this and I'm more confused now on Carnuba vs synthetic, and wax's, polish, cleaners, clays, etc... it's a little overwhelming

I'd like to keep exterior detailing of the paint to approx 1 hour in the cold.

Also if you have recommendations for the warmer weather I'd like to hear those as well, it's only months away

Thanks,
    Kring

Post Thanks / Like
    First let me welcome you to the forums and congratulate you on your awesome new car! Souveran paste is the reigning king on a black car, but that said, it will not offer you the durability you are looking for for the winter months. A sealant is much more durable than a carnauba wax and the Klasse twins (AIO and SG) will give you at least 6 months of protection. You can top this combination with Souveran if you want and get durability and good looks.

As for caring for your car, it all starts with good washing and drying techniques. Get quality wash mitts ( I recommend the shmitt from Edge) and good Microfiber towels and a quality car wash soap (DP Xtreme foam or Poorboy's super slick suds). I recommend a guzzler for drying.

I would recommend that you wash, clay and then polish (if you have a PC) and then protect. Follow good washing and drying habits and you will keep your car in excellent condition for years to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    product choice is just one deciding factor on keeping a car clean and up to your standards. The process or prep is usually the initial determining factor. Careful washing and drying will help keep the finish free of marring and defects.

Wash ---- Clay --- Polish --- Protect

Here are some great choices from AG offerings:
    Best Carnaubas --- Pinnacle Souveran, Nattys Blue, Collonite, Maxwax
    Best Sealants --- Wolfgang, Duragloss, Klasse Twins, Poorboys EXP

when starting out , see the car kits as best value. Also consider the correct detailing tools (buffer, towels, buckets) prior to getting started. Consider it a valuable addition to your cars resale value.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    First start out by claying. Cars being delivered are exposed to alot of stuff. Look at the Pinnacle Poly Clay kit as it comes with clay, lube, and a nice buffing microfiber towel.

Since your looking into Souveran, it is an INCREDIBLE wax on black cars. To keep it up, get a quick detail spray, preferably for Souveran, Pinnacle Crystal Mist. Just spray and wipe this with a nice Cobra Microfiber about every other wash. Souveran is excellent, but is more non snow friendly

Depending on how cold and if this car is subject to harsher conditions, I suggest you look at some DP Surfaceshield topped with Collinite Marque D Excellence. Excellent looks,reflections, and protection! The DP surface shield is awesome on black. You will see them if/when Xterra overload decides to post in here.

Also take into consideration proper washing technique. I HIGHLY recommend you look at the Schmitt wash mit to wash. [The white one]
    For drying, look at the Cobra Guzzler Microfiber towels.
    When washing make sure to use two buckets! One for clean water with soap, and the other to squeeze all your leftover water from wiping your car
    Last edited by ryandamartini; 11-05-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!!! Seeing as how you are in the northeast and want to keep your detailing to a minimum in the cold, I would suggest getting two different waxes. That is my plan since I live in Michigan. After polishing the car a month ago, I put on two coats of Collinite 845 Insulator wax. While it is said it doesn't have the look of Souveran, I think it looks good. And it has the added bonus of excellent durability. It has been said it will last several months. I figure I may add another coat in the middle of the winter if needed. Then in the spring I will do another detail to take care of any swirls/scratches, and switch over to Nattys Blue (or Souveran paste as you mention) for the good looks. And though mine isn't an Infiniti, it is black so I can attest to the fact that Collinite does look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    with all above! Welcome to AG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another good sealant DP Shield Shine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek

Wash ---- Clay --- Polish --- Protect

Here are some great choices from AG offerings:
    Best Carnaubas --- Pinnacle Souveran, Nattys Blue, Collonite, Maxwax
    Best Sealants --- Wolfgang, Duragloss, Klasse Twins, Poorboys EXP

when starting out , see the car kits as best value. Also consider the correct detailing tools (buffer, towels, buckets) prior to getting started. Consider it a valuable addition to your cars resale value.
    Thank you everyone for your feedback, just a couple clarifying questions,

The Wash Step: makes sense, I'm clear on that, and do plan on hand-washing the car weekly and claying as needed. I'll pickup a good shampoo and mit.

The Clay Step: After reading up on this, it's clear this has real benefits, originally I was thinking of doing the clay for the first time when the first 60+ degree day hit's in spring, but I've seen a few mentions of rail dust and such getting to the vehicle before delivery. My question is about the cold weather, does clay work well in freezing weather or does it freeze as well? I'm woried that it might do more damage then good in the cold temperatures.. am I correct in waiting until a 60+ degree day? this will be a big part for me, My cars tend to pickup tiny sap droppings, I realize now why My 04 Jeep Liberty has the dimply feel, that will get clay treatment in spring!

The Polish Step: This is polish only, not wax or sealant? Do I really need this on a new car? will the mild abrasives actually make things worse on a fresh paint job? Or is there a polish that's more mild then the others?

The Protect Step: This is the wax/sealant step right, not an after spray? Are there multiple steps within the "Protect Step"? Sounds like I'm best off using a sealant, atleast until spring comes along for the durability, then use the Souveran for the summer months. I'm a little unclear on the three names I hear tossed around for Sealants and Synthetic protectants, are they essentially all the same? Tech Wax's, Wax's, Sealants, Glazes? or are there differences between these products?

Thanks,
    Kring

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kring
    Thank you everyone for your feedback, just a couple clarifying questions,

The Wash Step: makes sense, I'm clear on that, and do plan on hand-washing the car weekly and claying as needed. I'll pickup a good shampoo and mit.

The Clay Step: After reading up on this, it's clear this has real benefits, originally I was thinking of doing the clay for the first time when the first 60+ degree day hit's in spring, but I've seen a few mentions of rail dust and such getting to the vehicle before delivery. My question is about the cold weather, does clay work well in freezing weather or does it freeze as well? I'm woried that it might do more damage then good in the cold temperatures.. am I correct in waiting until a 60+ degree day? this will be a big part for me, My cars tend to pickup tiny sap droppings, I realize now why My 04 Jeep Liberty has the dimply feel, that will get clay treatment in spring!

The Polish Step: This is polish only, not wax or sealant? Do I really need this on a new car? will the mild abrasives actually make things worse on a fresh paint job? Or is there a polish that's more mild then the others?

The Protect Step: This is the wax/sealant step right, not an after spray? Are there multiple steps within the "Protect Step"? Sounds like I'm best off using a sealant, atleast until spring comes along for the durability, then use the Souveran for the summer months. I'm a little unclear on the three names I hear tossed around for Sealants and Synthetic protectants, are they essentially all the same? Tech Wax's, Wax's, Sealants, Glazes? or are there differences between these products?

Thanks,
    Kring
    If the car is brand new (not sitting on a dealer lot for a couple months or more) you don't want to polish it. The paint needs to finish curing for a couple of months. I've heard mention of finding a sealant that allows the paint to cure, but I don't recall what kinds those were. Otherwise you shouldn't have to polish yet. Polishing is for removing scratches and swirls in the paint. You may want to do it in the spring if you happened to get any scratches from ice and snow. Then with regards to the "protect" step, this can be a one step process, or a twenty step process, it's up to you. There are basically three products for this step. There are glazes which have fillers and hide imperfections, but don't offer any real protection. For protection you have to top with wax. Sealants are a synthetic protectant that is usually the most durable. Then there is wax, which gives the best look, but usually lacks protection. The common process is to use a couple coats of a sealant first, then add a couple more coats with wax to give the deep glossy look. The spray you refer to would be the quick detailer spray. This would be something you would do after later washing to bring out the shine.
    Last edited by Grimm; 11-06-2006 at 09:14 AM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm
    If the car is brand new (not sitting on a dealer lot for a couple months or more) you don't want to polish it.
    Thank you Grimm, yes the car is being delivered, had to order it due to option selection, so it won't be on the lot except for the day or two to recieve and prep it, my order will be another 60-90 days of waiting.

Just thought I should toss in one more thought, I hadn't planned on getting the Simonizing with the warranty, since I take good care of my vehicles and I've heard that it's a waste of money... the Dealer offered it to me for $225 to cover both exterior and interior, is it still not worth it?

Thanks,
    Kring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast