autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Car Door Scratches

Hello all,
    I see there is a wealth of information and experts here so I am asking for your advice on how to properly touch up the scratches that my car door received when my wife supposidly opened it and the "wind" took it into a concrete wall. As you can see the scratches are on the side crease of the door. I have touched up bumper chips before but it always looked bad. I ordered the OEM touch up paint and it will be a paint pen with one side paint and the other clear coat. I have used a small brush before but not a pen. I also looked into the langka system for a possible resolution for the "blob" I don't know if that would be the way to go so any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to do this right. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car Door Scratches-car-door-i-jpg   Car Door Scratches-car-door-ii-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Door Scratches

Langka isn't going to work on that edge. Langka only really works on flat surfaces where you can use a plastic card over a towel to 'shave' the paint off. It won't work on edges like that. The only thing you can really do is just fill in the chips and if you want to wetsand it to smooth it out then you can, but polishing down the haze would quite likely cause problems on an edge like that.

This is the kind of thing that happens to daily drivers. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Blob the paint in as best as you can and I'll bet 99% of people won't even notice. Use a brush if you have one. The pens aren't great on edge chips like that. They are more for scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

Try using a matchstick or toothpick to apply the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar thing happen to my driver door last winter....the wind caught it and rubbed the edge up against a chain link fence. I ended up just taking the brush of my touch up paint and dabbed it in the small marks and wiped off excess. I did this several times over the course of a few days then smoothed it down a bit with compound by finger. My paint is dark and metallic (as is my touch up) so the marks are not visible anymore. I would imagine though that it would be a little harder to disguise it on red.