autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: expired polish?

Post Thanks / Like

expired polish?

so last weekend i had some meguiars swirl remover from back in the day(couldn't wait for the xmt360)the meguiars swirl remover was a light cut i believe but forgot the number.

anyways, when i went to use it the consistency was like water? but i went ahead and used it any ways. it obviously didn't correct anything but i gave it a try.

my real question is, will this hurt my finish, say dull my paint or anything. from what i could tell the paint looks great(silver metallic paint). so when i finished i went ahead with my sealant and after cured jumper into my fuzion.

or worst case, it probaly just didn't do it's job by correcting i would assume? anyone ever experience this before?

thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: expired polish?

As long as you shake it up so the polish is mixed back up you should be fine. I still have a couple bottles of Megs #3 from 4 years ago I still use from time to time and have never encountered any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    As long as you shake it up so the polish is mixed back up you should be fine. I still have a couple bottles of Megs #3 from 4 years ago I still use from time to time and have never encountered any problems.
    yeah i shook it up real good but it was still really runny. if i recall it used to be alot thicker?

Post Thanks / Like

I can relate. I have a really old bottle of Meguiar's ScratchX that has become a lot more runny over the past 2 years or so that I've had it. I could have sworn that the ScratchX was much thicker, like a lotion, when I first purchased it.

Either way, it worked fine last time I used it so I'm not really sure.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

if it's still watery even after you shake the dickens out of it, just toss it (you can try using it and see if the performance has been degraded). i've had a few polishes go bad and they were seperated and beyond usable. i shake my products at least once a month for this reason. it hurts to have to throw away detailing products...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    if it's still watery even after you shake the dickens out of it, just toss it (you can try using it and see if the performance has been degraded). i've had a few polishes go bad and they were seperated and beyond usable. i shake my products at least once a month for this reason. it hurts to have to throw away detailing products...
    expired or not, it shouldn't hurt my paint correct? i did still use it. my paint still looks great, just never seen/had this happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had this happen. It has separated. I bet if you pour the thin stuff in another bottle, you will see thick clumps of paste which are the abrasives that do the paint correction when you buff. Won't hurt your paint but won't do much correction. You can keep shaking it to see if you can get the abrasives mixed back in. Be sure and pour the thin stuff back in the bottle if you pour any out to find the thick clumps.
    Last edited by belcherm58; 07-26-2009 at 08:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

shake well , very well --- then consider the sign as its time to upgrade to new polishes. Might just be the time for Menzerna or Megs newest offerings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    shake well , very well --- then consider the sign as its time to upgrade to new polishes. Might just be the time for Menzerna or Megs newest offerings.
    very true. just figured i'd use the stuff on my shelf one last time. now even though the product seperated, it shouldn't hurt my paint right? i used a sealant after wards and once cured topped with fuzion. i should be in good shape i assume?

Post Thanks / Like

Another 9th gen member.

How old was the polish? I have some 2 year old menzerna in the garage...I wonder if I should check on it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast