autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing on the go (vacation) What to pack?

I am going on vacation to see my Grandparents and Aunt in Florida, and they know I have been detailing cars recently. They asked if I could detail their cars while I was don there. I am all for it. I am not the vacationing type but sometimes its nice to get away, I always find my self wanting to keep busy, and atleast this can help keep some sanity and hone my detailing skills.

Anyways on to the cars and materials. One is Metallic gold the other is metallic silver. Condition unkown... I could give you guys a list in my arsenal, which has grown over the last few months, but that could grow to a few pages, what can I say I like to try new things! LOL

Since I am flying down I will most likely either have to ship or order stuff to their address. I am thinking ordering limited supplies that will get the job done and I can leave for future visits. My concern is what polisher to take (that I can pack in my bagand take on the plane) I have the Flex 3401 DA and the Metabo PE12-175 rotary polisher, the Metabo is new, I am still getting use to it, but the more I use it the more I like it, plus I can switch BPs for smaller pads/finer detail, so I am leaning towards that, what you think?

As for the rest here is what I am planing to have available:

-Meguiars or DP auto wash (whatever Autogeek has at the time)
    -P21s Gel wheel cleaner, plus need a sealant probably Poorboys
    -Meguiars Clay bar (package with clay, QD, and MF towel)
    -Menzerna 106FF, I have been using that recently and like the results with minimal details, any other recomendations for finishing polish? How is the PO85RD I thought I heard good things on this, never used it, maybe a good time to try it...
    -Klasse or WG paint sealant, leaning towards Klasse, I love how it lasts in the elements.
    -Wax.... Not sure I have used P21S 100%, WG, and XMT... May consider DP Max wax, plus its on sale right now.
    -1Z vinyl rubber protectant
    -Interior wise I gotta ask them what kind of finish they have, I know one is cloth, but for the dash and so forth I have taken a liking to the Turtle wax ice Interior protectant, I found it to work the best on all leathers, plastics, rubbers, vinyls
    -Plus some assorted MF towels and pads, and I am sure I am missing something...

IDK maybe I am going over board, but this is the first time I have ever been through anything like this... How did you go about getting the supplies to your destination? I am sure my list will add up materials/price wise... Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing on the go (vacation) What to pack?

sounds like you are indeed prepared ...

Post Thanks / Like

Wash Mitts.
    For Florida (minimum mud & grime, I'd use the Megs APC+ on wheels.
    Max Wax is a nice choice. I just applied it over WG 3.0 Sealant.

When I do complimentary details, I try to use a quality product, but not the most expensive on the market. Why? They may not wash or wax that car until you get back there. Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would bring the flex. It would actually be more practical and easier for you. Not to mention you already have ample practice with the machine.

With the flex you would only have to bring a minimum amount of products over such as Klasse as your choice of sealant for both wheels and paint, Menz 106ff for a light polish, P21s 100% for durability over the other three, 1Z rubber protectant and your towels and pads. Also your assortment of wheel brushes. Everything else could be bought and left there such as:

Car wash
    Eagleone A2Z wheel&tire cleaner
    Megs UC if you need it
    Megs Clay
    TW ice

Not sure if your doing interiors like that but if you are. A stain remover and carpet shampoo. Tire and exterior dressing if they want that. Glass cleaner. If your doing the engine bay some degreaser and dressing(otc AA foam in a pinch.)

Post Thanks / Like

I am somewhat prepared, lol.. I know I am missing alot... My big concern is do I buy everything and leave it, or ship the stuff I already have down and back?? One thing I was just thinking about is there is a shelf-life to this stuff.

Blackfire, I am not a fan of wash mitts, a sponge is what I like to use but each his own. I guess I am on the same lines as you with detailing, I know what I like to use and have a good idea of what works well together, and the most of the stuff is not cheap OTC, but at the same time not overly expensive.

Lasthope05, to be honest the last 4-5 details have been with my Metabo, but I am sure the flex is just like riding a bike, LOL! ANd for finer detail areas I could pack one to two of my smaller pads and a pad polisher handle... or the same with the Metabo but a BP rather than the hand polisher. It will probably be a last minute decision.

You also brought up a good point pack what I can, well what the Homeland secruity will allow me. And get all the little stuff OTC, or I could drive to Autogeek (40mins away) or have them send me the remaining. Too many options to consider, LOL! But the general wash, wax, interior stuff I could leave with them and they could use it to do a little up keep.

I will have to work over my list the next couple weeks, I will keep you all posted!

So has anyone done anything like this? Travel and detail?

Thanks for the help guys!