autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How thinly do you apply? and product break down?

I spent lots of lots of time detailing this weekend. Did moms car wash, clay, Klasse, and UPP. My car wash, clay, XMT 3, XMT 2, DG 501,601,105.

As I worked with each product I tried to use as little as necessary. I was working with the thin is better idea in mind. This worked pretty well as the product was much easier to remove obviously.

While working with all these products a few questions popped in my head. I still think I may have overused some of my stuff so.

How do you know how thin to apply a product?

When using a PC how do you know a product has "broken down"?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How thinly do you apply? and product break down?

For waxes you should do 2 thin coats. The 2nd coat is just to make sure everything is even. With polishes you have to use "enough" You use more when you start with a new pad to prime it, then less is used, a couple of dime sized amounts.

Post Thanks / Like

How thin is thin is a tough one, but for wax/sealant, a very knowedgable person once told me that if you could see it, you had plenty. Works for me.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

With sealants and waxes its not about how much you use, because more is not better, its about full coverage as thin as possible. Some suggest two very thin coats for best coverage and protection.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    With sealants and waxes its not about how much you use, because more is not better, its about full coverage as thin as possible. Some suggest two very thin coats for best coverage and protection.
    Thanks guys.....I'm still making the adjustment from the old Turtle Wax/KIT days when you just slathered that stuff on like you were layering a cake. Then essentially used a chisel to remove the excess

I'm sure that I can go thinner with some of the things I use and will practice my hand application a little more.

What was difficult was hand applying DG105 on top of DG601. I couldnt tell when there was enough DG105 on the car when the 2 were on the car together. May need to put another layer of DG105 on top just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

even in the old days with the turtle crap you were using, less was better...

as for the polish, when machine polishing, less isnt more, you will need to be more liberal with the polish as you need it more to lubricate and prime the pad correctly...

upp is a product that shouldnt take more then 1/2oz to do the whole car....i use a dime size drop on each panel at most....

Post Thanks / Like

also, go to the autogeek store and view some of the videos that can show you how to recognize when polish is broken down....as a good rule of thumb, when it starts to dry and haze over, its usually broken down...use pc speed 5-6 with xmt 3 and 2 or any other polish you are using to correct paint....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vinnier6 View Post
    upp is a product that shouldnt take more then 1/2oz to do the whole car....i use a dime size drop on each panel at most....
    I think next time I do the car I will parse out 1/2 oz and see how far it gets me. That way I can keep myself honest as to how much product I'm using.

I have watched the XMT vids before and will again. Thanks for the suggestion.

What do you do about the dust that is created in/on the pad? I had to put a brush to the pad a couple of times to remove it so it wasn't on the car.