autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's been your bigest game changers? And why?

- My 1st biggest game changer has been the Tornador MAX
    for interior. In most cases I get away with just using it on the entire interior followed with a Huck towel.I use BH Surfex exclusively! It just WORKS! I love having the cleaning power of the vortex followed with air all in the same hand. I seriously would feel naked without it. I originally was running it with a small pancake compressor. It Defiantly made all the difference when I purchased an adequate compressor With 5.3 CFM

- Cordless Flex XCE 8 125 I find myself using it on almost every paint correction. Forced rotation lends plenty of cut. I'm using a rotary on rare occasions only. Finishing with my Shine Mate EB351.

-Detailing cart. I always prep it with everything I need the prior night. Originally I'd constantly run around and grab stuff from every corner. And worse, would set things down and forget where I put them.

- Fur Eel This is a life savor for pet hair. I still use a verity of tools but this one out shines them all. I can't wait till they come out with the mini one that will fit on there long skinny flex crevice tool they sell.

Honorable mentions:

-IK Foam Pro 12 Fill with BH touchless.
    -Hose reels Saves time and keeps everything tidy.
    -Rolling stools A must for my knees and back!
    -Kobalt 3 step ladder Can't beat it for $60 @ Lowes.
    -Mitt on a stick Pro

2. Likes DFB, bill walsh, Karl_in_Chicago liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's been your bigest game changers? And why?

Mine would be detailing stool.

Adam’s premium detailing buckets look like they’d change the game having my buckets be my creeper. The drain…. Excellent idea just way too much to bite the bullet.

Also [mention]DanaDetailingPros [/mention] what exactly do you use a tornador for? Dirty carpets? Would you use if you didn’t professionally detail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes DFB, DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

Adam’s premium detailing buckets look like they’d change the game having my buckets be my creeper. The drain…. Excellent idea just way too much to bite the bullet.

Also [mention]DanaDetailingPros [/mention] what exactly do you use a tornador for? Dirty carpets? Would you use if you didn’t professionally detail?

+1 for the seat/stool.

I use the Tornador for pad blow outs and dislodging stubborn debris in carpet/carpet mats.

6. Thanks DanaDetailingPros, Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

- A Decent pressure washer!

In 2020, I took the plunge to replace my well used entry level Karcher, stepping up to a Kranzle K1152 (1122). This was huge purchase for me at the time, but as soon as I fired it up, this was THE gamechanger for me. Now in this case, the actual pressure output of my old Karcher and new Kranzle is pretty close, however what separates the two is the flow rate. Using the Karcher, the flow is so lean that sometimes I wondered if a garden hose would be more efficient. The Kranzle on the other hand just gets the job done way quicker without necessarily blasting more pressure at the car. The 15-metre rubberized hose also meant I didn't have to move the pressure washer around the car, nor did it bind up like the crappy hose fitted to the Karcher. Then there's the sound of the machine, which is much more refined and lacking those horrible screech noises that emanate from most pressure washers.

If I knew what I know now, I would have bypassed the mobile K1152 and gone straight to the wall mount system that I have now. But that K1152 experience was transformative for me.

Detailing Seat and Bucket Dollies

Such simplistic additions, but both changed how I felt about cleaning wheels. Prior to this, I was carting a heavy water filled bucket from wheel to wheel, I would then be crouching in front the wheel trying to get the job done ASAP to save my clunky knees. As a gardener, my knees take a bit of a beating from all the crouching I do while weeding/planting/digging, so I can't stress how important being seated changed my outlook on cleaning wheels. It's now one of my favorite detailing tasks.

The seat itself is self-explanatory and nothing special, just the generic detailers seat. But having bucket dollies allows me to creep from wheel to wheel without having to get up and move the bucket separately. I tend to zone out when cleaning wheels, music or a podcast pumping through the noise cancelling headphones, so seated wheel cleaning is pure bliss for me.

I wait all week to sit right there..................

Cordless Polishers -

I went from one corded 6-inch polisher, which was replaced by 3 and 5-inch battery powered polishers. Without managing the cord, this allowed me to focus on technique and hold the machine in a more natural way. I then added the iBrid Nano, probably one of my favorite detailing tools.

The Sink!

I wish I did this sooner as the sink is right up there with the pressure washer for me. Again, this was aimed at efficiency and saving my knees, no more crouching at the garden tap to fill buckets and foam cannons. In addition to that, I also use the sink for convenient washing out of brushes and tools, and as a work bench in general.

Rinse-less Washing -

It took me a long time to trust this wash method, but it really does suit my needs in terms of maintaining garage queens. Yes, I still prefer a full water, soap and bucket wash, but rinse-less is now a viable alternative and one that I actually enjoy using.

Towels -

Yes, of course I had towels, but I was rationing them for some strange reason. Earlier in my detailing endeavors, finding good quality towels was difficult and expensive. This was before the prevalence of online shopping, and typically your only option was the overpriced single packaged towels offered by Meguiar's at the big-box auto stores. So guess that's why I rationed them, they cost me a lot of money and I didn't really have much option.

Now, I use towels knowing that I can easily replace them if needed, and at a much lower cost than before without compromising on quality.

My Floor -

Yes, I did this mainly for aesthetic purposes, covering up peeling painted concrete and creating a fantastic backdrop to take images against. But there have been some real practice benefits to having Swisstrax flooring. I can wash and dry the car on this floor without having to stand in puddles of water, the water running out to the drain or evaporating over time. It also keeps my working area clean and relatively dust free. I also don't need to blow out the garage every week like I did prior.

Leaf Blower -

Using some form of a blower was big change for me in how I dried my cars. I started with a small Makita worksite blower, moved to a Stihl and EGO battery powered leaf blowers, and a Big Boi Twin Motor.

Youtube -

The advent of Youtube would have to be one of the most important changes in how people learn about detailing. I'm a visual person, I need to see something being done, be that in still or video photography. (This is why I post so many pics, it's for both you and me). Being able to watch someone do a particular task or using a particular tool has taught me so much and gives me the confidence to try things for myself. Of course, this concept is not unique to detailing, but I think it's very impactful for detailing as other training or knowledge avenues are somewhat limited in this industry/hobby. Pitching a TV program on car washing to a TV network would be a very hard sell, so Youtube has been a fantastic benefit for us.

I'm sure there is more, but not as impactful. All of the above I would have a hard time going back from.

8. Thanks BudgetPlan1, dlc95 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

Would you use if you didn’t professionally detail?
    I defiantly would say yes! I use mine for engine. I use it to clean household items all the time. I just used it to clean my dirty Dewalt vacuum.Floor mats and pedals. Steering wheel so it stays clean always. center counsel. if you didn't want to spend on the name brand get the Rag company one!!! Plus you just got the Dewalt. Also just using it on air only rather than the solution gives you 2 tools in one.

10. Thanks opie, Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DFB: Now that you have the Big Boi dual motor is that your go to? I've been weighing the Ego over that one. I like having a plug and the wheels idea.I think that will be my next investment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    Would you use if you didn’t professionally detail?
    I defiantly would say yes! I use mine for engine. I use it to clean household items all the time. I just used it to clean my dirty Dewalt vacuum.Floor mats and pedals. Steering wheel so it stays clean always. center counsel. if you didn't want to spend on the name brand get the Rag company one!!! Plus you just got the Dewalt. Also just using it on air only rather than the solution gives you 2 tools in one.
    Which tornador do you use? Ive never used or seen one being used so im not really sure what they do or how ya use one. Guess i could go lookup a yt video on it

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

13. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    DFB: Now that you have the Big Boi dual motor is that your go to? I've been weighing the Ego over that one. I like having a plug and the wheels idea.I think that will be my next investment.
    The Big Boi was my go to, but I have been picking up the EGO the most due to the convince. Both styles have their pro's and cons.

You can be more thorough using the Big Boi, the tapered outlet allows you to "drive" the water more efficiently, especially shut lines, panel gaps, wheels and door jambs. I also find in winter the heating element is a nice touch, not only does it help speed up the actual drying, but it keeps your hands warm too. While the air is filtered, I don't really buy into that. I would focus on the dual motor versions, with the newer ones coming with remote on/off and speed control on the hose handle, which is another nice touch.

The downside being hose and cord management when working your way around the car. Some have the unit mounted to the wall and use the longer hose to negate setting up and packing away.....................the key reason why I grab the EGO.

The EGO, as mentioned, is much more convenient. I'm now using the EGO the most on maintenance washing, however if I'm about to start polishing, I would use the Big Boi to be more thorough in getting water out of areas the might impede taping or alter the compound. I went with the LB-765, bigger is better right? The 615 and 650 are decent, I would avoid the 530 as its very lean and lacks a variable speed throttle, the one I bought for my father also has a vey annoying lag between pulling the trigger and the unit actually starting. Battery wise, the 2.5 ah will get around a small sedan or SUV and keeps the weight down. If you are doing trucks and larger SUV's, you really need the 5.0 ah battery.

15. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Which tornador do you use? Ive never used or seen one being used so im not really sure what they do or how ya use one. Guess i could go lookup a yt video on it

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Inside the outlet of the gun, there is a "whip hose" or agitator that creates a vortex, the oscillating high-speed pattern helps dislodge stubborn material or supercharge a cleaning chemical. Mine is what they call the "basic", but you can get them with a fluid reservoir which draws and blasts a surface with a cleaning product or water. You really need to wear a respirator with the later when using an APC.

17. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crack: I would be willing to bet it you just went with the tornador Max you'll not regret it one bit. Especially for upkeep. It is the single key tool I use for interiors and for your up keep it would work outstanding!!!

19. Likes bill walsh, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast