autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help Please: Coating Failure? Oily Smears?

I could use some help please folks. I washed my car yesterday, second time since I put on McKee's 37 Paint Coating in late December. Washed with Meguire's Gold Class soap as usual, dried with my brand new McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer, then followed up with a nice microfiber to get the tiny drops left behind. As I was doing the final microfiber dry, I noticed some odd 'smears' on the car. Looked almost oily. It's hard to explain, but I have attached several photos. I tried washing a couple of the areas again, but the smears remained. I applied some McKee's 37 Trademark Extender Spray Wax, smears remained. Pulled it in the garage, came out later that night and I thought the smears were gone. I was very excited. But this morning I realized after I pulled the car out of the garage that the smears don't show up under fluorescent lights. So they are still there. Most, but now all, spots that I have noticed are new panel edges...could it be from the rubber seals, etc.? It happened on panels cover with paint protection film and panels that aren't. McKee's 37 Paint Coating on top of everything.

Any ideas what it could be?

What should I do to 'fix' it?

Only thing different from my normal routine: I used the Turbo Car Dryer. And I used a new Grit Guard.

Thanks for you help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Please: Coating Failure? Oily Smears?

Looks like high spots... You either let the coating sit to long before wiping off, or you just didn't wipe it off good enough. Re-polish and start over.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They weren't there before yesterday. Can it take time for high spots to appear?

Post Thanks / Like

High Spots Left too much on or did not remove enough. Redo.

Sorry
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrknowitall View Post
    They weren't there before yesterday. Can it take time for high spots to appear?
    I have a few on my hood that I never bothered to fix, you can only see them under certain lighting conditions. Most noticeable when it's overcast. Maybe you just didn't have the right kind of light to see them before.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, pretty sure they were there and you just didn’t notice. Those are high spots which means coating wasn’t leveled or wiped away properly. Only fix is to polish and coat again.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it has anything to do with your problem but you are using the wrong shampoo for a coated car. You want one for a coated car that leaves nothing behind or is specifically for a coated car. On mime I use N-914 for a waterless wash and either Carpro reset or Geyon bathe as regular shampoos.

Post Thanks / Like

But before you polish, try this: keep in mind that Like removes Like. First time I used CanCoat I had the same problem. I waited too long after applying and the next day (in the sun) I had some high spots, all of them on glass. I sprayed more CanCoat on the high spots, waited about 25-35 seconds, then wiped. I wiped a bit aggressive, to be honest. Voila, gone. Not a guarantee, but worth a shot before you get the DA out.
    If it works, let me know. I'll give you my address for the bottle of Merlot you can send me. (Just kidding).

Post Thanks / Like

You can just polish and touch up those spots by reapplying the coating. I've used Gold Glass soap with good results also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Agree those are high spots. I've suffered the same.

When I applied a coating in my car I lit my garage to the best of my ability. I went over every surface as closely as possible after I was done and even used an LED flashlight in attempt to find high spots. Once done, I felt pretty good about myself and backed the car out into the sunlight only to find a few high spots I had to quickly buff out. Even after all of that, I still found a high spot weeks later on the roof near the sunroof. Fortunately it's small and hard to see, so I just left it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast