autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Car

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Congrats! What color is it? The paint is soft on my brothers new black Accord. If you clay, you'll definitely want to polish after. I'd recommend a tangerine hydrotech pad and a light polish(HD POLISH+). Do you have a polisher?
    It's the dark grey color which I think they call modern steel metallic.

I do not own a polisher. Maybe sometime in the near future one will be purchased. Not in the budget at this time. Any other recommendations besides using a polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's the dark grey color which I think they call modern steel metallic.

I do not own a polisher. Maybe sometime in the near future one will be purchased. Not in the budget at this time. Any other recommendations besides using a polisher.
    I wouldn't clay the car without a polisher. You will micro-marr the paint, which will result in a hologram appearance in the sun. I'd use an iron remover, then pre-wax cleaner by hand, then wax or sealant.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't clay the car without a polisher. You will micro-marr the paint, which will result in a hologram appearance in the sun. I'd use an iron remover, then pre-wax cleaner by hand, then wax or sealant.
    ok I see what you mean. Until the paint is completely hardened from the factory, avoid claying. Purchasing some iron X for the car. Which pre-wax would you recommend and is it better to place sealant on the car then wax or vice versa?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    ok I see what you mean. Until the paint is completely hardened from the factory, avoid claying. Purchasing some iron X for the car. Which pre-wax would you recommend and is it better to place sealant on the car then wax or vice versa?
    Actually, your paint is already 100% hardened. A better way to explain it would be, Hondas(most japanese cars) have a more "sensitive" clear coat compared to others. The more sensitive clears are just as good as others, just more prone to scratching easier.

This is a good one...

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish, prewax polish, car polish

Some may say using an ultra-fine clay bar may not result in micro-marring(sratching) the surface, but I'm not sold on that, especially with scratch sensitive clear coats. You can give it a shot.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, your paint is already 100% hardened. A better way to explain it would be, Hondas(most japanese cars) have a more "sensitive" clear coat compared to others. The more sensitive clears are just as good as others, just more prone to scratching easier.

This is a good one...

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish, prewax polish, car polish

Some may say using an ultra-fine clay bar may not result in micro-marring(sratching) the surface, but I'm not sold on that, especially with scratch sensitive clear coats. You can give it a shot.
    No I think I will give your idea a shot. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located in South Florida? Might be able to help you out.

John
    Hard Shine Auto Detailing, LLC IDA CD-SV

Post Thanks / Like

Just my 2 cents, but it seems like a lot of the thorough processes outlined by people in this thread may be a bit overkill for this guys need. It's a honda accord that I'd assume is his daily driver and he hasn't detailed his prior two cars. I'm pretty sure a clay and paint sealant/wax will make his day. For a show car maybe the micro marring may be a concern, but I've clayed most all of my new cars (including 2 hondas) and never found any detectable marring (I don't check with a jewlers loupe, but have excellent eye sight and attention to detail). Just use a lot of lubricant, fold the clay often, and be gentle.

Doing all of the work some these guys are talking about would take you several full days to complete, especially if you've not detailed a car in years. The likelihood that you'd just get tired of doing it and get sloppy would be high.

My process for a new daily driver is this:

Wash
    Clay
    Wash again (I know a lot of pros don't do this, but my car always has lots of residue left on it from the spray detailer/clay and I just don't feel comfortable rubbing it into the paint in next steps - maybe that is why I don't have marring issues)
    Pre-wax cleanser - Optional; I can't tell a difference on a new car, but I do it anyway because most wax/sealant companies say it creates a better bond
    Wax or sealant - I just tried wolfgang sealant and it turned out really good plus much easier than wax. I applied it to the entire car; paint, glass, plastic, badges, grill, etc.

I did this sunday. Started at about 9:30am and was done by 5:30pm with a few breaks in between.

Post Thanks / Like

New Car

^^^* what color are your hondas?

A pre-wax cleaner is a good idea. It'll fill(hide) any light swirls that are already there. It'll clean the paint too.

He could do ironx, then wash, then wax or seal as well.

I'm not a fan of claying dark colored cars without polishing after, but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I had a metallic dark green one and a silver/grey.

^^^* what color are your hondas?

A pre-wax cleaner is a good idea. It'll fill(hide) any light swirls that are already there. It'll clean the paint too.

He could do ironx, then wash, then wax or seal as well.

I'm not a fan of claying dark colored cars without polishing after, but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.