autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting swirls out in emblems

It sounds like you've already gotten the crud from around the edges of it... But next time, instead of Q Tips you're better off using a detail brush lubricated with some detail spray to handle that task.

As far as the emblem, if it's the emblem in the dead center of the trunklid you're more than likely not going to able to simply debadge it. Most if not all car makers bolt that emblem onto the trunk from the inside out, so debadging can't be done unless you get in there and un screw it.

Griots Garage sells a detailing stick system [I couldn't find it here on AG] which is basically a set of thin tubes/sticks that you can wrap the included microfiber socks in order to hit hard to reach corners such as emblems, grills, etc.

You can actually improvise and simply get a firm stick such as a paint brush handle and wrap a microfiber towel around it, dab some compound on the tip and make careful and precise strokes inside the emblem to remove any swirls.. Just make sure to give it some thought and be careful.

Sent from my iPhone

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a boars hair brush with the cleaning spray to wash several times. It wasn't so much debris but was just cloudy and hazed looking and that wouldn't come off. As far as the emblem they are double sided taped on last I knew so you can pry off and then get the adhesive all off and machine correct it all quickly, then rebadge. However I didn't want to worry about getting it back straight and centered as well as buying a new emblem too. I did try the microfiber method like you said, but it isn't seeming to work for some reason. even with that I can't get enough speed and pressure to get the fine swirls out that are right next to the emblem. This is the only part of the car thats bothering me but after doing so much on the rest Id like to have it be good and not the eye sore everytime I see it. Ill look for the stick system you said, Im also looking into the flex PE8 pads in 1" and the backing plate adapter for my drill, that may be the ticket!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a Dremel? That's what I would use. I'd tape off the surrounding area first and just be careful.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/accesso...-and-polishing

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post pictures of what it looks like?

I dealt with a similar situation for the longest time with my own cars trunk emblem.. It was loaded [at least in my eyes] with gunk and contaminants all around it and inside the nooks and nothing I tried would clean it up. The boars hair detailing brush was useless because it's simply too soft..

It wasn't until I got my hands on the Mothers Detail Brush in my pic that I was finally able to get it fully clean and detailed.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

I think but not sure you may be able to fish line that off without buying a new one just throwing out a idea gd luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Can you post pictures of what it looks like?

I dealt with a similar situation for the longest time with my own cars trunk emblem.. It was loaded [at least in my eyes] with gunk and contaminants all around it and inside the nooks and nothing I tried would clean it up. The boars hair detailing brush was useless because it's simply too soft..

It wasn't until I got my hands on the Mothers Detail Brush in my pic that I was finally able to get it fully clean and detailed.

Sent from my iPhone
    Thats gotta be the cleanest caddy on earth looks fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Thats gotta be the cleanest caddy on earth looks fantastic.
    Thanks for the kind words, but there's no way... Besides, if you look closely at the reflection you'll spot another Cadillac, it's my brothers car and it's in my hands this weekend. I took care of most of the exterior yesterday, and today I'm going to detail the interior including a full steam cleaning of the leather and shampoo the carpets etc... Once I'm done it's going to be the cleanest Caddy on earth. Getting swirls out in emblems

Sent from my iPhone

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cut Up a foam pad throw some 205 on it and use your finger To polish it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can take some pics of it tomorrow hopefully. I ended up buying a flex 1" backing plate and the 1" foam pads to see if that will work. If not I don't think I will be able to get it any better without taking the badges off and doing a complete correction of the area. At the end of the day its going to be way better than it was. Right now as it sits, Ive gotten the crap from around the edges gone, but as I said previous the q-tip with abrasive wax put scratches all around the rings so it looks like absolute crap. Im waiting for those foam pads to come in and hopefully those will be enough to get the scratches out in the rings.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Got pics of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12