autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mercedes s550 Micro Marring issue

Hi Guys, I have been lurking on here for a while and have gotten a lot of good info. I recently was working on a black Mercedes s550 which has a factory ceramic coating on it. The story goes that the car had been taken back to the dealer and they "prepped it", but basically looks like they wiped the whole car down with a dirty rag as it is swirled badly and even some deeper scratches. My issue was when polishing, I thought I would simply compound/polish it out and recoat the car after, however, the coating is very strong and, while I was able to remove most of the imperfections, I am left with what looks to be some micro marring. Being that it is on top of the coating, I am not sure the best way to go about this.

Currently, I am using fg400 and an orange buff and shine pad to compound and PO85rd as a polish with a white pad, however, I was debating switching to a less aggressive polishing pad, as well. The marring showed up after the compound stage was wiped down with IPA. I am using a GG6 polisher with it on 5 for the compound and slower for the polish, I'm thinking maybe a speed adjustment might help some maybe? Any input would be great as I have never really had this issue before.

This is what it started as
    Mercedes s550 Micro Marring issue-img_3929-jpg

And after I went over it
    Mercedes s550 Micro Marring issue-img_3931-jpg

After I wiped that section down, however, this is what I saw. The marring was so fine it was really difficult to get on camera.
    Mercedes s550 Micro Marring issue-img_3944-jpg Mercedes s550 Micro Marring issue-img_3941-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mercedes s550 Micro Marring issue

CarPro Essence on a black pad? Haven't had 1st hand experience with what you're seeing but knowing the polishing ability of it to bring out a super shine combined with it's filling ability, I would try Essence as a base coat for a ceramic. I think it could be a good option. From there, give it a coating and call it done. Just my two cents at a possible fix.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I would try to remove those micro-marring as much as I can before applying a coating. Under direct sunlight, those marks can look a lot worse. Do you have any paint cleaners like sonax? I would try that with a orange lc thinpro pad with light pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Softer pad for the final polish would be the first thing I would try. Not familiar with the menzerna products,so I would recommend Griots perfecting cream. I've been doing a lot with Griots and really like them.

Post Thanks / Like

FG 400 on orange pad and SF4500 on white pad is the perfect combination for Black Merc paint. Owned 2x AMG in black and that is what I used for both of them perfectly. Taking your SF4500 (po85rd) on a no cut pad with very little pressure and likely a 2-3 on the GG6 will possibly take out those fine marring. The only marring you should have after compounding it is the marring from the compound and pad itself. The paint should be level at that point. The polish is utilitzed to remove the marring from the 1-step. The polish and white pad should with no issue finish it out being ready for LSP. But some suggestions below.

Then, don't wipe it down with anything. Wash it with dish soap or whatever stripper you have handy and blow dry the vehicle. Then it should be marr free. If it is still there, you didn't either compound it out first, or polish out the compounding marring.

Using the Carpro essence will work likely also. You will be finely polishing and then filling whats left with material. You wont want to use a panel wipe or you will take out the fillers. Then coat on top. The coating likely will cover the fillers leaving it looking good. Not my way of doing things but it will work and solve your issue likely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Softer pad for the final polish would be the first thing I would try. Not familiar with the menzerna products,so I would recommend Griots perfecting cream. I've been doing a lot with Griots and really like them.
    I have not tried any of the GG products ever, let alone on black Merc paint, but @Mike Lambert is likely giving a good number 2 choice to try out. But use his suggested style with po85rd. Mike P uses po85rd/SF4500/whatever they call it now SF3800? for jeweling paint. So the product isn't the issue. Pad and speed might be. Slow down, no cut pad. Then work options from there. Light pressure and careful wiping with a good clean MF pad.

Also, you might need to be working surgically clean on this one. New pad every panel, and blowing out the pads between sections is highly recommended. ALso, try 2 passes and see if that fixed it, if not then 3 and so on. That last final step should be quick and easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Those marks you talk about look like towel marks to me, probably from the IPA wipe down you are doing. Keep in mind that an IPA can be a good way to remove polishing oils to check you work but IPA offers zero lubrication and you can very easily mar the paint with it, especially if you are using an inferior towel.

The FG400 should be removing whatever "factory ceramic" coating the car came with.

I would continue using the FG400 as you are, use a super soft towel to remove it. If you want to check your work I would use another towel soaked in ONR solution and wrung out, or Carpro Eraser, wipe lightly.

If you were having marring from the polish with the white pad, try and black pad just to see what happens and use zero pressure on the machine for the last 2 passes. Again, super plush towel to wipe off.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Before you go any further, you might take a look-see at this article by Mike Phillips.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-careful.html
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...edes-benz.html

You may be dealing with factory cermiclear paint.
    the designation as follows by identifying the "C" in the paint code.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post

Those marks you talk about look like towel marks to me, probably from the IPA wipe down you are doing.
    That's what I thought when I looked at the picture

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post

Keep in mind that an IPA can be a good way to remove polishing oils to check you work but IPA offers zero lubrication and you can very easily mar the paint with it, especially if you are using an inferior towel.

The only article I NEVER wanted to write was the article on how to dilute and use IPA.

I wrote it back when we had a few bad apples on this forum always telling everyone how to strip their paint with IPA ONLY they didn't give any good information on exactly how to do it.

So I asked someone else to take it upon themselves to write the article and AFTER a year went by and no one stepped up to the plate to write the article I did it just to make sure no one screwed up their paint following bad information from people that don't take responsibility for what they write.

Here's the article...

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results

And in this article I show light towel marring caused by wiping paint with IPA

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer

Now you can see some light marring, but that's because IPA isn't a very good lubricant, in fact it's a horrible lubricant. I think of all the people that have been told by others to wipe their car down with IPA before going to the next step and it's pretty easy to understand that when they did this they likely marred their car's paint and this is called working backwards. It's also likely that if the people taking this advice were working on light to medium colored cars they never saw the marring.

IPA is not a good lubricant and it can cause towel marring when you wipe scratch-sensitive clearcoat paints with it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 76k10chase View Post

marring showed up after the compound stage was wiped down with IPA.

That's normal when inspecting with a bright light. The "wiping" of the residue plus the towel can mar the paint.

Clearcoats scratch easy. There are other options for chemically stripping paint besides IPA. I like the Wolfgang Perfect Finish Paint Prep instead of IPA.

I wrote a VERY detailed how-to article for applying a coating to paint using the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating and the tips and techniques I shared would apply to ANY coating.

Lots of pictures.... lots of how-to info... check it out...

Review & How-To: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating

KEY TIP

Very Important
    Have plenty of clean, soft microfiber towels on hand for the prep step to avoid cross-contamination.

On Autogeek.com

Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep

And while this car is not black it is DARK BLUE and it is taken to car shows all the time. Last time I saw it - it still looked great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast