autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newb in need of help.

Hello, Im new to all of this. I just purchased a deep sea metallic blue 3 series BMW. The paint is in great shape after a clay bar treatment and a 2 bucket wash. However there are some light swirls. I tried SwirlX by hand but the results are not what im looking for. I just ordered the Harbor Freight DA and I would like to know which pads and compounds will do the job. I've heard great things about Menzerna products and the Lake Country pads but im lost when it comes to picking the correct items for the job. Any help is very much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb in need of help.

The LC pads are a quality brand of pads. Always begin with the least aggressive combo. I recommend Meguiars M105 and M205 combination. These two are synergistic. I would start with the orange or white pad and progress from there. Make sure you keep the pad surface clean after each section pass you complete. Clean with microfiber towel or air compressor. The Harbor Freight DA is a ok brand to start with. The Porter Cable 7424XP is a superior brand and machine in my opinion. I have one. You have Megs Swirlx, give it a try and if you do not like the results, find a parts for the 105 and 205 or order from Autogeek or Autopia. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EZCustoms View Post
    Hello, Im new to all of this. I just purchased a deep sea metallic blue 3 series BMW. The paint is in great shape after a clay bar treatment and a 2 bucket wash. However there are some light swirls. I tried SwirlX by hand but the results are not what im looking for. I just ordered the Harbor Freight DA and I would like to know which pads and compounds will do the job. I've heard great things about Menzerna products and the Lake Country pads but im lost when it comes to picking the correct items for the job. Any help is very much appreciated.
    First off Welcome
    If you are new, I would suggest water based products. IMO easier to work with and to clean up.
    Poorboy's World $, 3D/HD $, Britemax $, Blackfire $$, Pinnacle $$.
    Meg's ultimate, compound and polish is where I started. Great stuff, by hand or machine.
    Stock pile your pads, get as many as possible, 5.5" with a 5.5" backing plate. Plus 3" with 3" BP.
    Online towels, the best you can afford, and lots of them.
    This is just the beginning....

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. I think Menzerna polishes would be great for you BMW. FG400 and SF3500 are a combo that has been often recommended.

The lake country flat pads were recommended to me when I was just starting out. They're more forgiving. But the new thin pros are getting great reviews, as well. Be sure to pick up a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. Much more efficient than the 6" pads.

In the LC flat pads, I think you will probably end up using white for polishing (perhaps orange?), but it's hard to know without doing a test spot. If I were you, I'd be looking at orange, white, and black in the LC flat pads line. I don't know how much research you've done or what you know, but be sure to get multiple pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhonshell42 View Post
    The LC pads are a quality brand of pads. Always begin with the least aggressive combo. I recommend Meguiars M105 and M205 combination. These two are synergistic. I would start with the orange or white pad and progress from there. Make sure you keep the pad surface clean after each section pass you complete. Clean with microfiber towel or air compressor. The Harbor Freight DA is a ok brand to start with. The Porter Cable 7424XP is a superior brand and machine in my opinion. I have one. You have Megs Swirlx, give it a try and if you do not like the results, find a parts for the 105 and 205 or order from Autogeek or Autopia. Hope this helps

Sorry, but I don't agree with any of this. For starters the harbor freight machine has a more powerful motor and the exact same orbit action at 8mm. There is nothing else that separates these machines. I would also highly discourage someone who has never machine polished before from attempting to use m105, it has a very steep learning curve and there are much better options available for someone new. There is also nothing "synergistic" between it and m205. They are both non diminishing abrasive products but there is nothing left behind by either that would make them synergistic with each other or with anything else for that matter.

The OP mentioned Menzerna polishes and these are a much better choice. The 2500 is a medium cut polish and generally leaves behind an exceptional finish that is ready for wax. You might be able to get by with just that one product. You would be better served with the harbor freight machine with a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads. Have at least 6 on hand and change them as they get saturated with product and spent paint residue. You can start with a white pad and if you're not getting the results you want, try changing to the more aggressive orange pad. Make sure you check out all of Mike's articles on the Porter cable machine, they're excellent and the points are all equally applicable to the harbor freight machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding corrective ability (cut), the Menz 2500 that ekennett mentioned sits right between the FG400 and SF3500 that I mentioned in post #4. And as suggested, that may well be a better route for you. I've read several accounts of guys using 2500 and getting last-step-product-ready results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EZCustoms View Post
    To build your skills, find a junk yard. Buy a trunk lid or , hood, a body panel of your choice. Practice on the panel(s). Practice your wash technique. Drying methods. Then get the HF dual action out and have fun. No loss in practicing on a junk yard panel.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the recommendations. After researching for 2 weeks it gets kind of overwhelming. I appreciate the help.

Post Thanks / Like

As MPLAYER says, detailing should be your therapy, not the reason for therapy. Have fun

Post Thanks / Like

Darn word correction. Mike Phillips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast