autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 Coating applied, couple of questions

So, I applied McKee's 37 paint coating to my '08 Jeep srt8 this weekend. I've used OptiCoat 2.0 in the past on a couple of different cars, so I appreciated the ease of application with the 37. However, I felt is was a little harder to judge if I was applying evenly. As such, I put 2 coats on the entire vehicle, except for the roof, as I applied that pretty liberally on the first coat, so I wasn't worried. I'm at almost 8,000 ft in northern NM, so protection from the sun is a concern.

Thoughts: The Jeep looks great! Being that it's silver, it's not as impressive as my 2014 Ruby Red Metallic Mustang GT was after polishing and applying OptiCoat, but it still looks like glass. It's just that if you're standing any more that 5 feet away, it just looks likes a clean silver Jeep with great reflection. It does look MUCH better than it looked when I bought it from the previous owner.

Now for the questions. I started with the coating at about 4PM on Sunday, and finished with the second coat around 6PM. It sat in the garage all day Monday and Tuesday. I left the house this morning at about 6:30, so it was a full 60 hours after final application until it was driven. Of course, it rained today at about 2 PM. My question is, do I have anything to worry about? I did take some pics, but I'll have to do some resizing so I'll post them in the morning. The roof was beading awesome! The hood looked pretty good. It was only lightly sprinkling when I took the pics, but at one point, I watched a few drops hit and immediately roll down and off the front of the hood. The sprinkle was too light to really judge the rest of the panels - you'll see in the pics. Question 2: when can I wipe her down? Question 3: I normally use ONR almost exclusively (unless it's just really dirty), so is this still ok? Is there something else that is better or more suggested with the 37 coating? Question 4: Is there something that can be applied to sorta "refresh" the coating every now and then?

Here was my process:
    Wash
    Clay
    ONR wipe down
    Correction using Griot's Garage compound with Orange pad
    Polish using HD Polish with Black pad
    Pinnacle Surface Cleansing Polish (by hand with a balled up microfiber)
    IPA mist wipe down (just in case)
    McKee's 37 Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 Coating applied, couple of questions

You are fine. ONR can still be used.

I would recommend picking up PBL coating booster to maintain the coating.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Booster

If you like you can pick up the detailer as well and wipe it more frequently.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought some tonight too. Actually by McSteak but I'm going to keep it and try it out as it isn't expensive. Probably going to start with the wife's van to see how it holds up over winter. Both cars are nearly flawless in terms of swirls but I will likely hit the van with some Menzerna SF4000 to insure it's good, wipe it down and then apply the coating.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You are fine. ONR can still be used.

I would recommend picking up PBL coating booster to maintain the coating.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Booster

If you like you can pick up the detailer as well and wipe it more frequently.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Detailer
    I'll take a look at those, thanks! How often would the booster be used? Do I need to wait at least a week before I can give it an ONR bath? I think I read somewhere to give coatings a whole week before washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post
    I'll take a look at those, thanks! How often would the booster be used? Do I need to wait at least a week before I can give it an ONR bath? I think I read somewhere to give coatings a whole week before washing.
    Here's a quote from Nick on the coating booster

REVIEW: Pinnacle Black Label Coating Booster

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Great review!

Since us Auto Geeks have a difficult time not touching our cars, and are addicted to a little thing called "shine" () we developed Diamond Coating Booster and Diamond Coating Detailer as a way to maintain the insane gloss and incredible slickness of Black Label Diamond Coatings and coatings offered by other manufacturers.

Diamond Coating Booster and Diamond Coating Detailer will not build up on the surface, so you can use them as often as you'd like.
    I think you will be fine giving it an ONR bath prior to letting it sit for a week. I've used ONR on Optimum Gloss coat before the 7 day cure period and the coating has been holding up just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the cure time is 24 hours. After that it can be washed normally. PBL paint coating is similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few pics. Again, this was after a light sprinkle. The roof looks great. It's hard to tell with the other panels.

McKee's 37 Coating applied, couple of questions-374-jpg

McKee's 37 Coating applied, couple of questions-375-jpg

McKee's 37 Coating applied, couple of questions-376-jpg

McKee's 37 Coating applied, couple of questions-371-jpg

McKee's 37 Coating applied, couple of questions-372-jpg

McKee's 37 Coating applied, couple of questions-373-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Better look at fender:

McKee's 37 Coating applied, couple of questions-378-jpg

Think this is how it's supposed to look?

Post Thanks / Like

You have nothing to worry about. Should be well cured.

For the maintenance, you can use the booster that is mentioned above, or just wipe down with a good quick detail spray. The Mckees, or anything other you like. This coating should last at least two years.

And it is so easy to apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after all that work and subsequent worrying, 2 hours into our 6 hour road trip back from Denver today, the car in front of me ran over and flipped up an entire sheet of plywood. Of course I slammed into it and it bounced around under the Jeep. It crushed my front bumper, cracked it in a couple of places and dislodged the lower grill. Also, somehow the windshield is cracked. I guess from the sudden concussion of running the plywood over and compressing the shocks so hard? I haven't had a chance to look underneath to see if/what damage was done. So pissed right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast