autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simple DIY detailing advice?

OMG you guys are too much, the OP sounds like he doesn't even WANT to WASH his car, and you've got him buying foam guns and using an iron remover...from his first post: "At the end of the day, automobiles...aren't a hobby of mine".

I stick by what I originally said the OP should simply invest in a grit guard and a couple of buckets, and a rinseless wash that provides some protection. Let's not scare him off before he even gets started.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    OMG you guys are too much, the OP sounds like he doesn't even WANT to WASH his car, and you've got him buying foam guns and using an iron remover...from his first post: "At the end of the day, automobiles...aren't a hobby of mine".

I stick by what I originally said the OP should simply invest in a grit guard and a couple of buckets, and a rinseless wash that provides some protection. Let's not scare him off before he even gets started.
    Reread his post.... as he was looking for help regarding washing and polishing. I stand by my post. The OP was even talking about getting a pressure washer and you think he may not want to even wash his car? In short, you are overreacting and should get back on point or just watch.

Also, relative to the fact that so many people cared to respond, which is something that has been discussed before as a STRENGTH and VALUE-ADD in this form, I am relatively certain he is an adult and has the capacity to apply whatever feedback resonates with him. And you think feedback is going to "scare" him? Maybe... just maybe... he may even ask a clarifying question or two??? Do you think?

Man alive, I'll respectfully bow out of this thread. Maybe you can contact him via PM and take care of him 1:1 Setec. Go to his rescue quick before he drinks the iron remover.

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to get like driving on ice up in here yo.

Lots of good advice has been offered. I agree that starting with the basics makes more sense than detailing overload, but I also agree that the OP should be encouraged to look at the wide range of options. Unless something prohibits its use, I think most people will agree that a two-bucket wash system for a daily driver is a good place to start, maybe with a simple wax or sealant process, too. If the OP wants to go further down the detailing hole, they'll have lots of help along the way.

Post Thanks / Like

As a complete newbie to this level of appearance care, this is one of those classic "You don't know what you're asking for" scenarios. I truly had no idea there was so much to this before I asked. True that there is a lot of variety in the responses here. People have offered numerous products and methods for cleaning. Some simple, some very detailed. I like having all the options. I want to feel educated enough that I can pick & choose what I want to do.

I might end up never doing the thorough clay->polish-> wax routine. I may not ever go with a soap gun. For now I just want to try to wash & wax. Claying, maybe. I want to do a minimal investment in this to see if I can keep it up (kind of like trying to stay motivated to go to the gym each week). I'll adopt more steps and be more thorough depending on how I feel about it.

I want to see if I end up enjoying this. I do love my car, after all, even if it isn't a hobby. I do really appreciate everyone's feedback, I've gotten more here than I could ever ask for. I haven't even gotten through all the videos and articles yet (whew!).

Some information I'm still waiting to learn from videos/reading:

- How to visually divide a car into panels for cleaning. front and back doors make sense. But what about the hood/back/front?
    - Window cleaning: Do I use the same mit on the body and windows? What if I need something rougher for the bugs/pollen/sticky stuff (or will the car shampoo chemically eat it off)?

Thanks again everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you received a lot of good info here! Have fun with it. Driving a clean car you love is even better than just driving a car you love.

The thing to remember if you're trying to keep things simple is to use the same product for different purposes. We didn't even touch on interior, but if you get a gentle all purpose cleaner (I use optimum power clean), you can use this to clean bugs off the paint, tires, wheels, interior upholstery/coated leather, dashboard etc. Then a protectant like Chemical guys silk shine, 303 protectant, or Meguiars natural shine, etc can be used on your interior, exterior black trim, and tires.

I answered your questions below inside the quote box.

Quote Originally Posted by voidpointer View Post
    Some information I'm still waiting to learn from videos/reading:

- How to visually divide a car into panels for cleaning. front and back doors make sense. But what about the hood/back/front?

I break it down like: half the hood & front quarter panel, half the roof, front door & window, back door & window, half the trunk/hatch & rear quarter panel, then the other side, then the windshield last.

- Window cleaning: Do I use the same mit on the body and windows? What if I need something rougher for the bugs/pollen/sticky stuff (or will the car shampoo chemically eat it off)?

I use the same mitt for both. For bugs, I spray waterless wash solution or a diluted all purpose cleaner on them and let it dwell, then wipe off. If you keep the car waxed, they're usually pretty easy to remove. They also do, of course, make dedicated bug sponges. For sticky stuff (tar/sap) you can buy a dedicated product or use hand sanitizer gel on the spot, rub gently, then remove completely.

Thanks again everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...e-buffing.html

and

I use the same mitt on the upper body & glass when washing, but glass cleaning is another category unto itself. I'm interested in seeing what options are offered, as I need something better than my current solution. I'll add that a McKee's RV Safe Scrub Bug Sponge is a surprisingly useful tool for removing bugs and other debris from paint and glass.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know what a front quarter panel was so I googled it and saw this image. Does this mean you save the bottom panels for last? Or is the image wrong and you actually go further down?

Also (unrelated), I can't find the video anymore but one of them briefly touched on washing jambs. The jambs on my car aren't that dirty yet since it's so new, but they do get "dusty". Is it sufficient to just wipe them down with a wet rag after washing? Or does it need to be more thorough? Places I'd clean are: under the gas lid, trunk jambs, all 4 door jambs. Maybe this is borderline interior cleaning phase, and you do it during interior cleaning?

Post Thanks / Like

Also (unrelated), I can't find the video anymore but one of them briefly touched on washing jambs. The jambs on my car aren't that dirty yet since it's so new, but they do get "dusty". Is it sufficient to just wipe them down with a wet rag after washing? Or does it need to be more thorough? Places I'd clean are: under the gas lid, trunk jambs, all 4 door jambs. Maybe this is borderline interior cleaning phase, and you do it during interior cleaning?
    I consider it part of the exterior cleaning, and many of us would include some of the underhood area with the jambs you mention. The beauty of rinseless washing is that you can use the same wash media (perhaps different drying media) for these areas that you use for the rest of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know what a front quarter panel was so I googled it and saw this image. Does this mean you save the bottom panels for last? Or is the image wrong and you actually go further down?

That photo is right but each car is different. If you look at my avatar pic, if you drew 3 vertical lines down the car (1 in front of the front of the front door, 1 between the doors, and 1 behind the second row door) those are my "sections", plus the roof & windshield. Wheels & tires are done separately. And yes, I forgot to mention I do the bottom part of the entire car (I have a molding that goes around) when I do the tires/wheels since it's usually dirtiest.

I wipe down the jambs, gas tank and hatch at the end too, after I've dried the car. Mine are pretty clean already so I just spritz it with waterless wash solution and use the drying towel (that is now damp) from drying the car.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast