autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Help with list of products to start and grow with?

Help with list of products to start and grow with?

I get e-mails, PM's and FB messages all the time with questions that are better asked and then answered on this forum for a host of reason. One reason is more eyeballs see the questions and answers so more people are helped versus one set of eyeballs in an e-mail, PM or FB message.

The other reason is my "typing time" is limited. Typing out answers to questions on the forum leverages my typing time over typing out answers in an e-mail, PM or FB message that only one set of eyeballs will see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Mike,

I am pretty new to detailing and have been on Autogeeks forum trying to learn proper techniques. One thing I am having trouble with is product selection. There are so many products to choose from that the more I research the more my head spins.

I was hoping that you could give me a list of products that a new guy could start out and grow with.

Thanks in advance

James

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi James,

That is a great question and a great question for a discussion forum and you can get all kinds of great help.

When I get questions like these the first thing I do is ask a couple of question.... like,

Is this for your own cars? Or do you detail other people's cars for money?

What type of detailing do you do?

Production detailing? That's one-step to the paint after the normal washing and drying.

Or

Show car detailing - That's doing multiple steps to the paint after washing and drying, like compounding, polishing and then waxing.

There's great options for both types of work and whether you're detailing just your own cars or your cars and customer cars.

When it comes to polishing car paint which tends to be the most popular detailing related task, I always put the focus on teaching people to use products that use great abrasive technology because it is the abrasives that are touching your cars paint.

The factory clearcoat on a car is THIN so you really don't want to use cheap abrasive technology as you wont' get the results you want the first time and this type of work is too time consuming and energy intense to do a job twice.

And again... paint is thin... you really don't want to be doing a job twice.

Here's two products that I show on both show cars and daily drivers and they will do the job right the first time and every time.

Pinnacle Advanced Compound and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

I'm still not sure what type of detailing you do or want to do or maybe you're more interested in interior detailing?

Here's a couple of cars we detailed and in my opinion the came out absolutely gorgeous!

1971 Dodge Charger R/T - 1940 Oldsmobile Streetrod shine by Pinnacle

Here's Tim using the new Meguiar's MT300 on the front passenger fender....

Here's Dave polishing the passenger side front fender...

Products used on both cars....

Pinnacle Advanced Compound

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Car Wax

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

Pinnacle Clay Lubricant

Super Soft Deluxe Green Microfiber Towels with Rolled Edges - 6 Pack

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with list of products to start and grow with?

I do mobile detailing and use Poor Boys. I can't think of anything else that would work for that application

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Another good article, thanks Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

I started out with the Meguiars UC/UP combo when it came to correction work. The universal availability, cheap price, and ease of use made the investment to test the waters of machine correction pretty low risk. The products are pretty fool proof.

I've branched out to try/use other products, but continue to use UP/UC on a couple of our family vehicles. They work so well, there is no reason not to use up the whole bottle before moving on to something else.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog