autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exterior Trim product question for snow.

Snow has fallen in my area but luckily the next week should be warm. I have a hummer H2 coming up that needs to be winter proofed. The trim is really faded so I dont think CarPro dlux is the best for this. Whats a product i could buy on here since a sale is going on that will not only protect but restore. Keep in mind the trim will be exposed to subzero temps during the night, high UV during the day, and road salt. I understand nothing will last very long in these conditions but under these conditions what would be recommended? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Exterior Trim product question for snow.

What makes you think DLux isn't the right product for faded trim?

Post Thanks / Like

I like Black Wow, but haven't had it very long so can't tell you what it is like long-term.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

I use Black Wow on my Hummer H3, the black trim going vertical up each side of the windshield is nearly white from UV degrading in its natural state. I use a detail brush to spread the Black Wow on it, I leave it wet and let it cure inside over night. It will last an easy 3-4 months on my non garaged H3, giving a pure black and like new finish.

I have the older/original Black Wow, but they now have an improved Black Wow Pro. Since such a little product goes a long, long way.... it will be another year or two before I upgrade to the new Pro version. I've tried so many products on this trim, and nothing works like the BW on this plastic and lasts so long that you forget how degraded the trim really is. It's amazing stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Wolfgang's Exterior Trim Sealant. On really faded panels, re-application is necessary. If somebody has used this and has found better, please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuf shine plastic restorer+ their clear coat. Best I have used on my avalanche. Use their tire cleaner. Holding up for a long time for me,3 plus yrs. However I do top it with UTTG. It is time for it to get done again. I tried dlux on the bumpers this summer. Looks good, no problems. Ill leave the bumpers alone but the rest will be getting tuf shine again. TS darkens better and is easier to apply, no streaking

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    What makes you think DLux isn't the right product for faded trim?

With Dlux it doesnt add any shine really. IMO its meant to seal new looking plastic. This plastic is just to far gone to clean and look new again.

I like the idea of black wow but being as its a dye will it hold up to the elements and road salts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    With Dlux it doesnt add any shine really. IMO its meant to seal new looking plastic. This plastic is just to far gone to clean and look new again.

I like the idea of black wow but being as its a dye will it hold up to the elements and road salts?
    I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. DLux is a trim RESTORER, and although it will have varying results based on the actual surface and its condition. Many of us have restored heavily weathered surfaces with products like DLux or C4.

And Black Wow is a silicone oil--not a dye. IME it will NOT hold up as well as a coating-type restorer, but it's certainly not a dye.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. DLux is a trim RESTORER, and although it will have varying results based on the actual surface and its condition. Many of us have restored heavily weathered surfaces with products like DLux or C4.

And Black Wow is a silicone oil--not a dye. IME it will NOT hold up as well as a coating-type restorer, but it's certainly not a dye.
    Really? Thats great to know. Thank you. I have never used dlux on weathered trim because I always thought it was made more for like new condition trim. Ill give it a shot. Problem is now i have an itch to buy something lol. Maybe ill pick up some flyby30 since i havent used it yet lol. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I have ran the WGTS thru winter. Come spring, the trim was still looking good.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast