autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I have burnishing products?

Hey Geeks -

I want to jewel my paint. It's been swirl/scratch corrected last year and maintained by me very well. I want to raise the level of gloss on the BMW's black sapphire metallic paint and really get the flakes popping. Hybrid 7 showed me some signs of how POP looks, as it really makes the flakes appear in the sun. Maybe I'm wasting my time with the buffer and chems and should stick to Hybrid 7?

Here are some pics, and please note - I washed it yesterday and let it air dry (hence water spots) and thought that I would be getting those water spots out with clay and light polish/burnishing.

Give me some ideas of the steps and products (in the pic) and pads you guys would use to clean/burnish. I have 5.5 LC CCS pads in Y,LO,W,Blk,Blue, and have the flex 3401 and PC 7424xp.

The wax under the WGFG is CG Pete's 53.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do I have burnishing products?-wp_20130921_12_32_56_pro-jpg   Do I have burnishing products?-wp_20130921_12_30_32_pro-jpg   Do I have burnishing products?-wp_20130921_12_33_51_pro-1-jpg   Do I have burnishing products?-wp_20130921_12_35_38_pro-jpg   Do I have burnishing products?-wp_20130921_12_15_19_pro-jpg  
    Last edited by washnwax; 09-21-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: adding picture

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do I have burnishing products?

It doesn't look like there is defects per se, but it looks like there is some water spotting. You will want to remove that, the only way to know how is to do a test spot.

What machine do you have?

I really noticed Menzerna SF4500 did a great job of bringing up the gloss and flake on my BSM BMW. Really, any fine finishing polish will work. You need to use finishing pads as well. Optimum Finishing polish is a bit faster and easier to use.

I would:

1. wash
    2. Iron X ->clay
    3. test spot to see if finishing polish would remove water spots. If so, complete the vehicle. If not, you will need something more aggressive.

Just an FYI, never let hose or tap water air dry on your car, regardless if your planning to polish or clay after

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

Just an FYI, never let hose or tap water air dry on your car, regardless if your planning to polish or clay after
    I washed it yesterday and let it air dry (hence water spots) and thought that I would be getting those water spots out with clay and light polish/burnishing.

To your point, I would have dried it if I knew I wasn't going to clay/buff, but good reminder!

Post Thanks / Like

That car looks like it needs some work!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by washnwax View Post
    I washed it yesterday and let it air dry (hence water spots) and thought that I would be getting those water spots out with clay and light polish/burnishing.

To your point, I would have dried it if I knew I wasn't going to clay/buff, but good reminder!
    What I was trying to say is those water spots can be more difficult to remove than one expects. But, if its only been a day it shouldn't be too bad.

But, back to your original question, to really make BSM look nice you need to use a fine finishing polish on a finishing pad. Likely, that would remove the water spots as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    those water spots can be more difficult to remove .

But, back to your original question, to really make BSM look nice you need to use a fine finishing polish on a finishing pad. Likely, that would remove the water spots as well.
    So far, I've clayed the half of the hood I want to test, (PIC) and polished with P21S cleaner on a white pad and 3401 VRG (PIC). The water spots came out with relative ease with the product/pad/buffer selection (see pic). I don't see any reason to try a different combo since the 1st one provided the spot removal and "burnish prep" results I wanted. So, now that I've got spot removal and paint prep figured out, will this same P21S work to burnish? It does say it's "Gloss Enhancing" so does that mean yes, it will jewel/burnish? What's that process? Fast or slow OPM? Fast or slow movement? Heavy or light pressure? Recommended pad? I do not have a rotary as mentioned in the opener, just a 3401 and a 7424xp and pad colors mentioned as well.

After burnishing, do I wax AND THEN hit it with a wash and then V07????

Thanks!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do I have burnishing products?-wp_20130921_13_48_33_pro-jpg   Do I have burnishing products?-wp_20130921_14_52_39_pro2-jpg   Do I have burnishing products?-wp_20130921_15_04_24_pro2-jpg  
    Last edited by washnwax; 09-21-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: corrected sp

Post Thanks / Like

Give me some ideas of the steps and products (in the pic) and pads you guys would use to clean/burnish. I have 5.5 LC CCS pads in Y,LO,W,Blk,Blue, and have the flex 3401 and PC 7424xp.

The wax under the WGFG is CG Pete's 53.

Thanks!
    Looks like I'm finding my own answers. Enjoy

Per http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-He...lish-chart.jpg, I believe my answer is this: Use the WG FG first (white or black pad?) , THEN the P21S to burnish/jewel (black or blue pad???)....

I will try the WG FG white pad, then P21s black pad combo and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=washnwax;953062]Looks like I'm finding my own answers...QUOTE]

Thanks to the power of search, I found http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-3401-a-2.html

And will close this thread as a result. Well, maybe I can post some before and after pics of the process, but closing out Q/A as I believe I found what I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been swirl/scratch corrected last year and maintained by me very well.

At first...I thought there was a contradiction in the above information.

So far, I've clayed the half of the hood I want to test, and polished with P21S cleaner on a white pad and 3401 VRG .
    The water spots came out with relative ease with the product/pad/buffer selection.
    ^^^That's Great...^^^
    However a person is not always so lucky!!

Looks like I'm finding my own answers...

Thanks to the power of search, I found http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-3401-a-2.html

And will close this thread as a result. Well, maybe I can post some before and after pics of the process, but closing out Q/A as I believe I found what I was looking for.
    You have the power to close a thread? Why that's...That's AWESOME!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    At first...I thought there was a contradiction in the above information.

^^^That's Great...^^^
    However a person is not always so lucky!!

You have the power to close a thread? Why that's...That's AWESOME!!

Bob
    Bob,

You cracks me up!!!!!!