autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mother's Quick Detail over Zaino - Problems???

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    Since instant detailers don't contain wax, it's not an issue.

Some spray waxes may contain carnauba and be a concern, but I doubt it.
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but needed to check.
    BTW, have put the question to Sal...

Post Thanks / Like

Here is Sal's response to my questions. However, I have some more "clarification" questions into him and will post when I get his reply.

> Been a long time very satisfied Zaino user. However, getting older and lazier and looking for an easier way to keep cars nice looking. As my cars are garaged and well maintained here in south Florida, I figure that I can use ZAIO followed by ZCS. Doing this the cars still look pretty damn good, but I do know that this "light" method won't offer the same long-lasting protection that using ZFX/Z2/Z5, multiple layering will. Nonetheless, this dual combination twice a year (i.e., ZAIO twice/yr, and ZCS 3-4 times/yr) seems to work in terms of looks and beading. My question is this: Normally, I'd be using Z6 for a quick detail, but do have some left-over Meguiar's and Mother's QD and would like to finish them up. Will applying these QDs interfere with the bonding of ZCS?

Yes, definetely..they are loaded with oils..

> I think that they won't as I assume that they will wash off very easily (don't have to use Dawn, just good car soap) and therefore won't present a barrier to the ZCS. What does Zaino say?
    >
    > Also, I'm a little confused about how to use some products without also using ZFX. Here's what I'm talking about:
    >
    > 1. I've been using ZAIO as the base coat to bond Z2 or Z5. My understanding is that one can't/shouldn't do multiple coats of Z2 or Z5

in one 12-24 hour period. You can apply Z-2 or Z-5 after 12 hours.

> when ZAIO is the base. So, If I want another coat of Z2 or Z5, I should then add another coat of ZCS prior to the second coat of Z2 or Z5 in order to enhance bonding???

not necessary.. see above
    >
    >
    > 2. Assuming car is washed and ZAIO used 6 months ago, will just putting on a layer of Z2 bond to the paint if one waits long enough for curing?

No, but adding z-CS will promote bonding

> Will a coat of ZCS then bond to the Z2?

Yes..

Post Thanks / Like

Here are Sal's answers to all my questions (amazing how quickly he responds,) should be helpful to some...

> Thanks you for your usual quick and informative reply. However, there are still some things which aren't clear to me and hopefully you can put my anxious mind at rest...

>
    > On 8/12/2013 11:10 AM, Sal Zaino wrote:
    >>

>>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Been a long time very satisfied Zaino user. However, getting older and lazier and looking for an easier way to keep cars nice looking. As my cars are garaged and well maintained here in south Florida, I figure that I can use ZAIO followed by ZCS. Doing this the cars still look pretty damn good, but I do know that this "light" method won't offer the same long-lasting protection that using ZFX/Z2/Z5, multiple layering will. Nonetheless, this dual combination twice a year (i.e., ZAIO twice/yr, and ZCS 3-4 times/yr) seems to work in terms of looks and beading. My question is this: Normally, I'd be using Z6 for a quick detail, but do have some left-over Meguiar's and Mother's QD and would like to finish them up. Will applying these QDs interfere with the bonding of ZCS?
    >>
    >>
    >> Yes, definetely..>> they are loaded with oils..
    >
    >
    > But let's say that the QD was applied over a week ago and the car is well washed. Would the QD oils be dissipated?

[COLOR="Blue"]"Not totally...You should always stay within a manufacturers system... you shouldn't mix and match because of compatibility problems..
    If you like Meguiars than use all Meg product. Same with Mothers and Zaino etc.."

>
    >
    >>> I think that they won't as I assume that they will wash off very easily (don't have to use Dawn, just good car soap) and therefore won't present a barrier to the ZCS. What does Zaino say?
    >>>
    >>> Also, I'm a little confused about how to use some products without also using ZFX. Here's what I'm talking about:
    >>>
    >>> 1. I've been using ZAIO as the base coat to bond Z2 or Z5. My understanding is that one can't/shouldn't do multiple coats of Z2 or Z5

>> in one 12-24 hour period.>> You can apply Z-2 or Z-5 after 12 hours.

> Are you saying that one has to wait 12 hours after applying ZAIO before applying the first coat of Z2 or Z5 (without ZFX),

"No wait.. Z-5 can be applied immediately after removing Z-AIO"
    . Here I believe he meant after ZAIO is buffed and not "removing."

> or can I apply the Z2 or Z5 right after AZIO and then wait 12 hours for the second coat?

Correct

> I'm obviously confused.

>>> when ZAIO is the base. So, If I want another coat of Z2 or Z5, I should then add another coat of ZCS prior to the second coat of Z2 or Z5 in order to enhance bonding???

>> not necessary.. see above

>>> 2. Assuming car is washed and ZAIO used 6 months ago, will just putting on a layer of Z2 bond to the paint if one waits long enough for curing?

>> No, but adding z-CS will promote bonding

> OK, so what's the longest one can wait after a ZAIO application to put on Z2 or Z5 that will bond?

You should apply asap..
    >
    >>> Will a coat of ZCS then bond to the Z2?

>> Yes..

Post Thanks / Like

This was why I went back to carnuba waxes, less confusing. I wasn't getting the scratch resistance I was hoping for anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by megacabcummins View Post
    This was why I went back to carnuba waxes, less confusing. I wasn't getting the scratch resistance I was hoping for anyways.
    Agreed, using sealant can be confusing. But it is worth it as they do a great job offering long lasting protection from the elements, but unfortunately not from scratches. Waxes only offer a "look," and only for a very short time, at that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Never saw the longevity out of Straight ZAIO like Z2 with ZFX. Never tried ZAIO with ZFX but that would probably effect longevity dramatically. I am sure being a garage queen ZCS would not have a problem bonding in any case. Another alternative that I have used on other household vehicles is DG 601/501 and/or 601/105 and applied Opti-Seal over top with good success.

Dave

I don't understand what you're saying. Zaino All in One with ZFX? I thought AIO is a cleaner, not a protectant.

Ans what impact does ZFX have on the effectiveness of Z2 and Z5? My understanding is that it doesnt impact the life of the protectant at all, it just makes it cure faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Agreed, using sealant can be confusing. But it is worth it as they do a great job offering long lasting protection from the elements, but unfortunately not from scratches. Waxes only offer a "look," and only for a very short time, at that.

Is wax any more scratch resistant than sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
    Ans what impact does ZFX have on the effectiveness of Z2 and Z5? My understanding is that it doesnt impact the life of the protectant at all, it just makes it cure faster.
    No, ZFX improves the properties of the sealant, at least IME.

Flycaster, I understand if you are trying to use up stuff on your shelf, but if you are trying to replace Z-6 give DG FC&S a try. I think that will play nice with your Zaino at a much lower price point.

Post Thanks / Like

Is wax any more scratch resistant than sealant?
    Not really, IMHO.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand what you're saying. Zaino All in One with ZFX? I thought AIO is a cleaner, not a protectant.

AIO is a cleaner and protectant that is why it is called all in one. I only mixed ZFX with Z2 pro which increases the life of the sealant and allows multiple coats. I did not really see any ZAIO last over 3 months used by itself and I do not know how that would change mixed with ZFX. DG 601 does sort of the same when mixed with 105 or 501 or any of DG's line. DG's 501 is comparable to ZAIO bur DG recommends mixing 601 to allow more coats and extended durability. On the QD aspect DG 932 mixed as a QD works very well then there is DG 521 Marine and RV Detail Spray (kind of like Z8) and DG 921 Fast Clean and Shine Spray (Like Z6). I have used all these QD's and Aqua Wax over Z2 pro and back to Z6 or Z8 and also applied ZCS over all of it with no problems.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12