autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

microfiber care concerning washers

a question i haven't really been able to find through searching, but when using a washer to wash microfibers.

after doing a pre-soak in something like meguiars apc, and then wringing out and throwing them in a wash, is there a necessity to do a washer clean cycle first to ensure there is no leftover fabric softener if someone happened to use some? or do most decent washers do a good job in keeping clean of left over residue from previous cycles?

i had trouble getting my microfibers exceptionally clean and free from making streaks early on in their lives due to dryers being completely full of fabric softener residue it seemed, even running a few towels through beforehand never removed enough to make them streak free towels.

no idea if anyone has tested it before, just wondering as i haven't seen it asked yet as far as i can tell, and most of the high end guys tend to have a dedicated washer that never sees a lick of softener in the first place.

thanks to mike or anyone else with a good answer/suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

Re: microfiber care concerning washers

I usually do a "Speed-Wash" with white distilled vinegar before I wash any of my good MF towels. Only takes 15 mins and it seems to help out quite a bit in my case.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a dedicated microfiber wash? If so then I wouldn't worry about it. If you're using OTC stuff make sure it doesn't have liquid softener additives. Or other chemicals that may harm your towels.

Also what towels are you using. Quality towels, ime, usually clean better.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Are you using a dedicated microfiber wash? If so then I wouldn't worry about it. If you're using OTC stuff make sure it doesn't have liquid softener additives. Or other chemicals that may harm your towels.

Also what towels are you using. Quality towels, ime, usually clean better.
    see thats the thing, i had used vinegar to wash before, as well as optimum brand microfiber wash and still had streaking problems where i would wipe with a microfiber using a good QDs (optimum, meguiars, fk) and i would get streaks on clean wipes. never had them with new cloths,

haven't had the issue as much recently, i was more wondering if having residue in the washer would affect the microfibers as much, not sure if i should even bother with doing a washer cleaning before i clean the cloths or if i need to do a full clean cycle, i have no idea how residual fabric softener would affect the microfibers, just trying to trace a problem.

proforce microfibers, they haven't ever left marring that i could visibly see on a freshly corrected panel without any product or qd to act as a barrier between the cloth and the paint, so i assume they are safe and decent quality.

Post Thanks / Like

i purchased some blackfire microfiber wash to try out and see if i get better results. did a presoak in a dilution of meguiars apc+ for 4 hours and wrang them out before putting in the wash on a hot wash, 4 oz of the blackfire wash and then air drying under a ceiling fan while being layed on bars.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you should soak in microfiber cleaner and not APC. Perhaps the APC has something that has affected your towels.

I've used every kind of washer and dryer and always use Blackfire wash, and never an issue.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Perhaps you should soak in microfiber cleaner and not APC. Perhaps the APC has something that has affected your towels.

I've used every kind of washer and dryer and always use Blackfire wash, and never an issue.
    this. meguiars apc contains fabric softeners and surface conditioners....it says so right on the bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience and new towel cleaning method:

I also, was unsuccessful at getting my towels clean previously. I did various different soak methods with unsat (to me) results at the end of the wash process.

New method: I used the wash bucket with grit guard, hottest water I could get (from the tap), and a full laundry load measurement of our HE laundry soap. It's a bioclean product. As I finished with each towel, into the bucket it went. At the end of the car cleaning session, I stirred and agitated the towels carefully with a highly effective special tool (long screwdriver). Agitated every 30 minutes or so for the next few hours. Left them to soak in the bucket overnight. Next morning, towels were individually cold water rinsed and then into the washer they went. Hot setting, with an extra rinse. Used the normal amount of bioclean HE soap. Low temp in the dryer. Hung them up afterwards to ensure a complete dry. This process yielded my best results so far. No complaints. I will continue to use this method from now on.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnCT450R View Post
    My experience and new towel cleaning method:

I also, was unsuccessful at getting my towels clean previously. I did various different soak methods with unsat (to me) results at the end of the wash process.

New method: I used the wash bucket with grit guard, hottest water I could get (from the tap), and a full laundry load measurement of our HE laundry soap. It's a bioclean product. As I finished with each towel, into the bucket it went. At the end of the car cleaning session, I stirred and agitated the towels carefully with a highly effective special tool (long screwdriver). Agitated every 30 minutes or so for the next few hours. Left them to soak in the bucket overnight. Next morning, towels were individually cold water rinsed and then into the washer they went. Hot setting, with an extra rinse. Used the normal amount of bioclean HE soap. Low temp in the dryer. Hung them up afterwards to ensure a complete dry. This process yielded my best results so far. No complaints. I will continue to use this method from now on.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you for the complete step-by-step Shawn. This helps!
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Colinpd137 View Post
    I usually do a "Speed-Wash" with white distilled vinegar before I wash any of my good MF towels. Only takes 15 mins and it seems to help out quite a bit in my case.
    Please elaborate. Not familiar with 'Speed-Wash'

Thnx!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast