autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad usage for SS Toyota Paint

I am looking to buy this kit as my first investment to better looking vehicles, Griots Garage Swirl Remover Kit. I notice it comes with only three pads. I would like to buy a six pack of extra pads. My wifes Toyota Sienna has single stage white paint and is oxidized, but nothing excessive. I can polish it with a good bit of elbow grease using Megs UC and then Megs Polish, then Wax. Keeping it white is a different story. The paint always goes back to looking dingy. I have experimented with a Megs Ultimate Wax and the panel I did seems to stay looking good a lot longer that previously. Due to having to removed some oxidation, how many pads is a good starting point? Thanks for helping!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad usage for SS Toyota Paint

I went through 12 pads on a SS white Corolla. It was severely oxidized so that may give you some idea. Buy more than you think you will need, they won't go to waste. Also if one comes apart, yes it happens, you won't be stuck waiting on an order to come in.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ge0rge View Post
    I am looking to buy this kit as my first investment to better looking vehicles, Griots Garage Swirl Remover Kit. I notice it comes with only three pads. I would like to buy a six pack of extra pads. My wifes Toyota Sienna has single stage white paint and is oxidized, but nothing excessive. I can polish it with a good bit of elbow grease using Megs UC and then Megs Polish, then Wax. Keeping it white is a different story. The paint always goes back to looking dingy. I have experimented with a Megs Ultimate Wax and the panel I did seems to stay looking good a lot longer that previously. Due to having to removed some oxidation, how many pads is a good A starting point? Thanks for helping!!
    A six pack should do, but I would get the Buff n Shine pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did my Tundra with Super White paint, using blackfire total polish and seal and felt 6 flat white pads were plenty on my GG6.

Post Thanks / Like

No question having lots of pads is helpful. A pad washer is a great way to wash any pad especially SS paints because they dirty your paint more than anything else and you really have to work with clean pads.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    No question having lots of pads is helpful. A pad washer is a great way to wash any pad especially SS paints because they dirty your paint more than anything else and you really have to work with clean pads.

More pads the better.

I will say that I now love my pad washer and it's a great great investment. I'm able to clean the pads in a couple of minutes have it be 90% dry and the continue on my way. It may seem like a lot when you first buy it but well worth every penny.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I went through 12 pads on a SS white Corolla. It was severely oxidized so that may give you some idea. Buy more than you think you will need, they won't go to waste. Also if one comes apart, yes it happens, you won't be stuck waiting on an order to come in.
    EDIT- I should explain that I did not clean any pads. Once they were mucked up with old paint I put them in a 5 gallon bucket with Oxyclean & water. Got a fresh pad, primed it and got back after it. Also the car had not been waxed since 2004 and felt like sandpaper.....after the clay.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sillybinaries View Post
    I just did my Tundra with Super White paint, using blackfire total polish and seal and felt 6 flat white pads were plenty on my GG6.

How is BlackFire holding up? I was thinking about buying everything separately. I see that Collonite is supposed to be a good product. Can anyone offer up a suggestion to protect the finish once I get it to that point. I am thinking of using Megs UC to clean it up as I know it worked previously by hand. Thoughts/Suggestions? Thanks to all for the pad help.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try DG 601/501 as I have seen good reviews on white paint. If that turns out well go to 601/105 which lasts up to a year and maybe more. For the ultimate you can top that with Opti-seal a definate wowa product.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    I would try DG 601/501 as I have seen good reviews on white paint. If that turns out well go to 601/105 which lasts up to a year and maybe more. For the ultimate you can top that with Opti-seal a definate wowa product.

Dave
    Just so I understand, use Duragloss 601 followed by a coat of Duragloss 501 or Duragloss 105? Is this also a good combo for my Infiniti which has a clearcoat?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast