autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

RIDS in 80's GM Clear Coat??? How to Solve???

Hello – hope someone can share some insight on my issue J

I’m a newbie to detailing at this extensive level, pretty much just been a wash and hand wax person all my life. Paint correction to me has just been minor scratches where I’ve used 3M Hand Glaze. I’ve basically had new vehicles, so I’ve never had to deal with much though. So please go easy on me!!!!

I bought an ’85 Riviera from an estate last summer with 23k miles on it, original owner, lived in Columbus OH all its life. Paint is overall in good shape for the age (i.e. no rust, dents, pealing etc), except for surface scratches, I believe they are just in the clear coat as I can’t feel them with my fingernail. Hand glaze took some of the fog from oxidation out, but I thought it could be better after I found Autogeek. I think the couple that had it kept it waxed really well, as it beaded heavily still. I don’t think they did much with it in the past 5-8 years, it was garaged though with no windows.

So I first clayed it, after seeing all the videos and write-ups here. I’m now a believer in the clay process !!!! Couldn’t believe how much was on the surface that I couldn’t feel with my bare hand. Will always clay a vehicle before any type of wax or sealer again!!!

Then I tried the Griot’s #3 Polish w/ the Griot’s orbital 6” polisher with a white LC CCS pad, speed set at 4 (the Griot swirl remover kit from AG). That took more of the haze off and I stupidly made the mistake of thinking that all was well and did the rest of the car (Mike P.– I now get your point about perfecting a small area first). In my defense this was during the day with indirect sunlight). I guess I got caught up in the moment.

Then at night I found that I still had the scratches. So I moved up to the Griot’s Polish #2, still using the LC Orange CCS pad (clean). Followed by the Griots Polish #3 with white pad. Still not getting out the scratches. I stuck with just the left side of the hood at this point…. There’s plenty of real estate to these hoods.

So I ordered some Griot’s polish #1 and tried that last night with a new LC CCS orange pad. Followed up with the white LC CCS pad with Griot’s #3. I’m posting pictures below of where I’m at. Still quite a few scratches. Seems like I’m getting down to the “RIDS” level, except that they’re not “isolated”!

Here’s where I need help as I think from someone with more experience than me. Also, I’ve went back and rewatched Mike’s videos with the WG 3 step process again, and tried to follow them to a T – keeping pad clean “on the fly”, slowing down my hand movement, more pressure at the beginning, 6 passes on each section, etc.

My question is whether I need to try a different product/pad or whether this is just something I should live with. i.e. what are people’s experiences with GM clearcoat paint in the 80’s. Are they really hard and I’m not getting down to the bottom of the scratches? Or should leave well enough alone and move on to the sealant and wax?

I don’t want to go to wet sanding or rotary as I’m not comfortable doing that. I don’t really want to be taking any more clear coat off than I have to (and I don’t think I’m in to the base coat since I don’t get white on any of the pads or MF towels).

Sorry for being so wordy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jerry

RIDS in 80's GM Clear Coat??? How to Solve???-hood-scratches-1-jpg

RIDS in 80's GM Clear Coat??? How to Solve???-hood-scratches-2-jpg

RIDS in 80's GM Clear Coat??? How to Solve???-hood-scratches-3-jpg

RIDS in 80's GM Clear Coat??? How to Solve???-hood-scratches-4-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RIDS in 80's GM Clear Coat??? How to Solve???

I think you're going to have to live with those ones on the lip of the hood, the rest looks pretty good already.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try a compound in small concentrated areas to only get rid of those bigger scratches of yours. But dont do this too much, as like you said, you dont want to get rid of too much clear coat. Try M105 OTC as it works well and gets rid of some crazy scratches

Post Thanks / Like

I would try some 5.5 foam cutting or MF pads with Megs D300/M105 or Menzerna FG400. Not a big fan of Griots compound and polish.