autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Car Wash Solution: Best of Both Worlds? (Aggressive & Finesse)

Friends - what's up?

I am increasing my workload and taking on some additional clients for detailing, and had two specific questions I know the pros here will be able to help me out with! HERE is the AutoGeek product page for their wash solutions.

1. Aggressive Wash:
    What's the optimum choice for a really strong "once-over" wash product that will save the most time and headache really tackling everything possible from road grime and bugs etc? I will be using this product as the first wash in a two-step system, and would like something economical (by the gallon if possible) as well as dependable to really provide a dramatic cleaning performance to 'prep' the cars from their filthy condition to be ready for the second-step (below) the 'Finesse.'
    *Would Meguiar's D108 Super Degreaser be 'too much' here? (See it HERE)

2. Finesse Wash:
    What's the premier pampering (it's subjective I know, but I'm looking for thoughtful insight) 'car spa' super-glossing, and super-sud wash solution that would be ideal for cleaning an "already cleaned" car as the second step in my two-stage wash process for daily-driver type cars to condition the paint and really enhance the depth and brilliance of the car's surface, getting it ready for the ongoing detail process (clay, sealant, carnauba...) with as much meticulous precision as possible?

Note: I have been using, for quite some time now, Meg's NXT Generation Car Wash (click HERE to see it) since it's very cheap and seems to be very good (I double wash all my cars anyway, but I'm really looking to refine and hone-in my technique)!

My ideas at this point before you fellas lend your advice and voices of expertise are:
    1. Meg's Mirror Glaze #62 Car Wash gallon (see it HERE) or Meg's D108 Super Degreaser maybe (see above - is it 'too' harsh for wash step-1)?
    2. Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo (although I'm weary because it only talks about "dark colored" cars on the webpage seen HERE)
    --or--
    2b. Ultima Waterless Wash+ Super Concentrate @ 4oz per gallon dilution ratio (see it HERE)
    I'd like to possibly (?) avoid the 'wax as you dry' type products, since I'll be hand waxing all of my customers cars upon request, BUT, please suggest one or two of your favorites if any truly good ones actually exist. I would always rather spray something like Optimum's spray Car Wax (HERE) which I prefer over Duragloss's AquaWax spray since Optimum's contains BOTH carnauba AND a sealant, on by hand right before drying with microfibers. THANKS
    Last edited by Ohio Detailing; 05-13-2012 at 11:07 PM.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Car Wash Solution: Best of Both Worlds? (Aggressive & Finesse)

Bump

Aside from the two questions above, I'm curious about whether or not there is any useful function of the car washes with wax built in? I know nothing can or should ever replace hand/machine waxing and buffing of course, but perhaps the wax in the solution can at least serve a basic purpose of avoiding spotting or boosting gloss in one step - better preparing the car for the hand wax applications?

Also, what would using a Rinseless Wash like Duragloss's Rinseless (see it HERE) Wash with Aquawax as a traditional wash solution in a bucket with hot water offer as far as benefits over 'regularly' formulated car washes with or without wax?
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Mike Phillips

Re: Car Wash Solution: Best of Both Worlds? (Aggressive & Finesse)

I started a thread about this topic here,

Do you wash cars differently?

And then included the topic in my how-to book because there are two different ways to wash a car and it is important, especially when washing a cars in the first 3 categories for the condition of the paint.

Paperback

I didn't get into specific products for the different types but your questions are good...

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn with a zep citrus(4:1) sprayed on as you work each panel for the first wash and any maintentance shampoo after, i.e. dj btbm, wolfs shampoo..etc.

Spray wax ocw is fine but I like AW better. OCW has a high streaking if accidentally used excessively. AW goes on crystal clear and never leaves any streaks.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I started a thread about this topic here,

Do you wash cars differently?

And then included the topic in my how-to book because there are two different ways to wash a car and it is important, especially when washing a cars in the first 3 categories for the condition of the paint.

Paperback

I didn't get into specific products for the different types but your questions are good...

Thanks Mike - I AM buying your book!

I am torn between digital download or paperback. Digital would be great to have on my laptop at any given time while detailing (is it 'searchable' and/or have clickable links in the index to pull up pages)?

"Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    Dawn with a zep citrus(4:1) sprayed on as you work each panel for the first wash and any maintentance shampoo after, i.e. dj btbm, wolfs shampoo..etc.

Spray wax ocw is fine but I like AW better. OCW has a high streaking if accidentally used excessively. AW goes on crystal clear and never leaves any streaks.
    Agreed with the AW. This stuff is awesome.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rider9195 View Post
    Agreed with the AW. This stuff is awesome.
    Thanks for the suggestion... I have been wondering if I should switch to AquaWax when this gallon is almost out. I guess I haven't really noticed any streaking, but then again my car is silver, and I only spritz it when it's already extremely clean. The only drawback I saw was that Optimum's Spray Car Wax has both carnauba and sealant built in, and AquaWax is only the carnauba - so the longevity and UV protection and perhaps gloss intensity might not be as great?

Any other options for a spray wax that has both sealant and carnauba that doesn't streak, or, is AquaWax the best bet and the included spray sealant doesn't matter?
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic_Detailing View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion... I have been wondering if I should switch to AquaWax when this gallon is almost out. I guess I haven't really noticed any streaking, but then again my car is silver, and I only spritz it when it's already extremely clean. The only drawback I saw was that Optimum's Spray Car Wax has both carnauba and sealant built in, and AquaWax is only the carnauba - so the longevity and UV protection and perhaps gloss intensity might not be as great?

Any other options for a spray wax that has both sealant and carnauba that doesn't streak, or, is AquaWax the best bet and the included spray sealant doesn't matter?
    Carnauba or sealant. It doesnt really matter what it is. Its their formulatiosn that make up its durability. With that being said, AW is a spray sealant and a booster product, not a lsp like OCW. AW lasts 3 weeks max for me in the north east. OCW lasts about 2 months. For the price and ease of use both are good in their catagories(stand alone spray lsp and lsp booster). What exactly are you looking for? a lsp or booster product?
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Carnauba or sealant. It doesnt really matter what it is. Its their formulatiosn that make up its durability. With that being said, AW is a spray sealant and a booster product, not a lsp like OCW. AW lasts 3 weeks max for me in the north east. OCW lasts about 2 months. For the price and ease of use both are good in their catagories(stand alone spray lsp and lsp booster). What exactly are you looking for? a lsp or booster product?
    Now that you break it down like that, a last step product, and a last step product BOOSTER, it makes MUCH more sense. I could lay down Optimum's Spray Car Wax and then top it every week or two with a nice spritz of Duragloss's AquaWax. Awesome advice, thanks. I'll definitely commit that to memory when it comes to sealants.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Just found this product online, would have added it to my massive Memorial Day order last night if I knew about it.

It's called Chemical Guy's GlossWorkz High-Foam Gloss Booster, here: Chemical Guys Glossworkz Hi-Foam Gloss Booster & pH Neutral Auto Wash 128 oz.

Can this be added to a traditional wash bucket with the shampoo I already use to add more gloss and lubrication during the wash?

So, what is this product, silicon injected?
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast