autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M Ultrafine se or "Ultrafina"

Quote Originally Posted by Devo242 View Post
    This is certainly possible. Ensure you are priming the pad adequately, and reduce pressure on the DA as you finish a polishing cycle. Also, before you start drastically altering your technique you may want to consider the following:

* You are using a line of products that are recommended for a rotary polisher on a DA. That is not to say that it cannot work, as you state in your original post that you are pleased with the finished results, but you may want to try again with a DA-friendly line of compounds/polishes first.

* You are moving from a compound directly to a finishing polish which seems like a big jump, why not instead move to the next step polish in the 3M system (3M Extra Fine)? This should level the compound induced marring quicker than the Ultrafina, therefore negating the need to work the Ultrafina beyond its buffing cycle. Depending on the level of defects the compounding step may not be necessary, likewise, the finishing step you are using Ultrafina for may not be needed, as the 3M Extra Fine Polish may produce the desired gloss. A test spot will be the indicator on the best approach here though.

Keep experimenting and let us know how you make out.

Best,
    Shawn
    Good advice Shawn. IMO Ultrafina is a jeweling polish and should be used as a finishing polish and not to remove scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M Ultrafine se or "Ultrafina"

Quote Originally Posted by Devo242 View Post
    This is certainly possible. Ensure you are priming the pad adequately, and reduce pressure on the DA as you finish a polishing cycle. Also, before you start drastically altering your technique you may want to consider the following:

* You are using a line of products that are recommended for a rotary polisher on a DA. That is not to say that it cannot work, as you state in your original post that you are pleased with the finished results, but you may want to try again with a DA-friendly line of compounds/polishes first.

* You are moving from a compound directly to a finishing polish which seems like a big jump, why not instead move to the next step polish in the 3M system (3M Extra Fine)? This should level the compound induced marring quicker than the Ultrafina, therefore negating the need to work the Ultrafina beyond its buffing cycle. Depending on the level of defects the compounding step may not be necessary, likewise, the finishing step you are using Ultrafina for may not be needed, as the 3M Extra Fine Polish may produce the desired gloss. A test spot will be the indicator on the best approach here though.

Keep experimenting and let us know how you make out.

Best,
    Shawn
    I just realized i made an error, I did use the extra fine (yellow cap) not the fast cut. Sh*&^(&( sorry guys!!
    This is why I was pleased with the results. And following 3M's recomendations used the ultrafina to polish as the final step in their 3 step process. I didnt use fast cut cause the defects weren't that bad. I was just puzzled by the UF caking! I just read somewhere that you should finish the UF with a slight oily film left on the panel, and not dry buff!! Point well taken.
    I do realize that these are for rotary use, and will upgrade to one once I feel comfortable with it. I was actually surprised that these products worked so well even with a DA.
    Tomm hopefully I'll finish the hood. I'll take all the points given about prepping etc, and post results.
    Thanks for the all the help!!!!!!!
    Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12