autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sealant gone?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant gone?

If you've:

• Washed it
    • Clayed it
    • Polished it
    • IPA Wiped it
    • Sealed it
    • Waxed it

Then I'm out of plausible solutions, I've never heard of an automotive finish becoming sticky to the touch after it gets wet. It almost suggests a water-based finish but even those are rock solid after they cure.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    You said you sealed it and waxed it. I noticed in your first post you put "with proper curing times". I'm just curious how long you waited in between applying the sealant and wax and also what wax you used?
    Josh
    "Work smarter, not harder"

Post Thanks / Like

I did the following steps:

-Washed
    -Clayed
    -IPA
    -Glazed
    -Sealant
    -Wax

Quite odd for the finish to become like this after 2-3 times of rain. Maybe the heat is another thing that might of affected it. I live in Cambodia so it rains every other day (Rainy season) and when its not raining its about 80-100 degrees out. However my car is garaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpingbean View Post
    You said you sealed it and waxed it. I noticed in your first post you put "with proper curing times". I'm just curious how long you waited in between applying the sealant and wax and also what wax you used?
    For the sealant I used Poorboy's EX-P. It said 8-12 Hours of curing time after buffing it off in the instructions but I left it for 24 hours before applying another coat just to be safe.

For the wax I used Meguiars Mirror Glaze #26 Hi-Tech Liquid Carnauba Wax. I let it sit until it hazed and passed the swipe test. I buffed it off and left it home for another day to harden.

How can two layers go missing so fast? I dont understand how this can happen. When I did this before it would last at least 3-6 weeks depending on the rain.

Post Thanks / Like

I am almost through my second quart of EX-P (that's a ton of cars) I have to say that "I believe" that the EX-P is still on there. EX-P is a very durable sealant in my experience. However I have no experience with #26. Seeing #26 on the shelves of our local hardware store, I have to wonder if it has cleaners in it that may have cleaned or removed your sealant. Mike Phillips should be able to shed some light on whether #26 has cleaners in it.

IMO what you have done is to apply a top shelf product (EX-P) and then go over it with a mediocre consumer grade product (#26)
    I am not trying to be insulting here but I would suggest sticking with all top shelf products or at least top your EX-P with a true carnauba last step wax that contains no cleaners or fillers.

If it were me in this predicament I would fare on the side of safety and go back over my steps again to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post

IMO what you have done is to apply a top shelf product (EX-P) and then go over it with a mediocre consumer grade product (#26)
    I am not trying to be insulting here but I would suggest sticking with all top shelf products or at least top your EX-P with a true carnauba last step wax that contains no cleaners or fillers.
    What would you suggest I use? I only have #26 and NXT Tech Wax 2.0. ]: Natty's Blue nor Red is available here.

Post Thanks / Like

The Natty's waxes are nice to finish for looks but the durability is lacking. If you are the type of guy who waxes often then Natty's would be a good choice. As I stated earlier I have no experience with #26 so what I posted above is just out of curiosity. If you are interested in what waxes have cleaners and which don't I would suggest starting a thread on which waxes are true finishing waxes and which are cleaner waxes. I believe Mike Phillips has written an article on that subject somewhere. Here are a few articles by Mike that may help you make a decision. In the second article that I linked, Mike show's #26 as being a finishing product. Maybe it just doesn't work well with EX-P.?..

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...mentality.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-wax.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nira View Post
    What would you suggest I use? I only have #26 and NXT Tech Wax 2.0. ]: Natty's Blue nor Red is available here.
    Sorry I just re read this comment to see that Natty's IS NOT available where you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I will try this combo once more just to see if the same results come out. I dont mind waxing often. Its a MUST here due to the weather... RAIN RAIN RAIN at least 4/7 days a week. I was just surprised to not see any water beading. Even one of Turtle Wax's HARD SHELL WAX I used once beaded water for a bit over two weeks.
    Quite a disappointment for my first time using EX-P. But I will give it another shot. Hopefully there will be better turn outs!

Thanks for your help Dave!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nira View Post
    Well, I will try this combo once more just to see if the same results come out. I dont mind waxing often. Its a MUST here due to the weather... RAIN RAIN RAIN at least 4/7 days a week. I was just surprised to not see any water beading. Even one of Turtle Wax's HARD SHELL WAX I used once beaded water for a bit over two weeks.
    Quite a disappointment for my first time using EX-P. But I will give it another shot. Hopefully there will be better turn outs!

Thanks for your help Dave!
    You're welcome. Out of curiosity, where did you get the EX-P from? Do they offer much of a selection of other products? EX-P more so sheets the water off of the car and not so much beads like a wax. I always top EXP with a wax just for the look and ease of washing bugs off but it is a decent stand alone product here in the USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Megs' M26 does not have cleaners, but it is not known for its durability. You should get better durability from NXT. In your situation I would use the best synthetic sealant I can get my hands on.

The lack of beading does not, of course, mean that the protection has disappeared. Beading is a function of surface tension. It may well be that the environmental pollution to which your car is exposed is interfering with the beading we all like to see, or it may be that the combination of UV radiation, rain, frequently washings, and everything else has effectively obliterated the wax. I am not aware of any way to accurately determine whether a wax/sealant has truly disappeared.

So when should one re-wax? I have adopted this rule: I re-wax whenever a feature that I like (gloss, slickness, wetness, beading, etc.) has significantly diminished.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast