autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Curious about Paint

#1. Are all "white" cars/trucks paint single stage? Meaning no clear coat?

#2. Could you add another layer of clear coat to a vehicle that already has a base coat, clear coat, if the paint is in good shape? Just for more workability?

Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Curious about Paint

Quote Originally Posted by malachi0420 View Post
    #1. Are all "white" cars/trucks paint single stage? Meaning no clear coat?#
    Pretty much all cars last 10+ years now have clear coats even whites. I am sure others will chime in with responses to the second portion of the post

Post Thanks / Like

#1 No, not all. Most, if not all, new vehicles are painted using Polyurethane 2K paints.

#2 Yes to both.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rohnramirez View Post
    #2 Yes to both.
    Really it depends on what paint system you are using. Any of the paints that I have sprayed with do not allow this.

Many clears today are using a system in which the clearcoat chemically adheres to and bonds to the basecoat to prevent clearcoat failure/peeling down the road. This is why if you look at the PDS for the paint system you are using, many of them state "spray clear over basecoat within 24 hours. If you are not able to clearcoat within this time, wait atleast 48 hours and apply another coat of basecoat followed by the clearcoat"

Post Thanks / Like

^ +1

Not as simple as just "spraying more clear". When people do big flame jobs and graphics they will sand down the existing clear to get a good surface to paint on. After they are done with the graphics, they will paint with a special clear over the graphics. To not leave a witness mark the entire panel needs to be sanded and painted. To do this with the whole car means, basically, repainting the whole car. Unless it s a high dollar custom paint job, I would wait until the clear fails and just repaint the car then.

Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

Thank's to you all for the feedback.

The 1st question about white paint, was concerning my 2006 Trailblazer's white paint.

I never experienced any white transfer of paint, on the pads after compounding, and just assumed it was clear coated. So is it safe to assume it does have a clear coat?

The 2nd question about adding more clear coat, was concerning a customer of mine.

They wanted me to attempt some correction on their vehicle, but it was clearly on the verge of clear coat failure. So i politely explained to them, that they didn't have enough clear coat to correct. I was then asked the question, can I just have more applied without having the whole car repainted. I really didn't know what to say, I just told them they would have to ask someone at a body shop. I left it at that.

Mike Phillips

I never experienced any white transfer of paint, on the pads after compounding, and just assumed it was clear coated. So is it safe to assume it does have a clear coat?
    Yes.

I was then asked the question, can I just have more applied without having the whole car repainted.
    The answer is "yes" but it would be the same process used if the car were wrecked and going in for a paint job only there's no body work to be done.

Most people that have an older car with clear coat failure upon finding out how much even a cheapie paint job will cost figure out real quick the car isn't worth the expense and they just suffer with the failing paint...

Disposable cars...

Drive them till they drop then have them hauled off...