autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Can a wash soap be caustic?

Now I've posted pics around here when my clear coat started to flake up. I was under the impression that it was just because the car was now outside 24/7. Thinking that the elements and the Florida sun were beating up my paint. I didn't even think it could be the products I was using.

It has come to my attention now though, that it might be the product I am using that is causing my paint damage. When the flaking started I was using a paint cleanser to strip the wax to apply a new coat. This was every week (wash the car once a week). I stopped using that soap and went and started just using a wash & gloss soap, and the spreading of the flaking basically stopped.

It never hit me that it could be the soap, until about 30min ago. I washed the car last week and used PB Black Hole, and wanted to strip it and try reapplying it using another method I saw someone suggest in another thread. So went through the normal routine to wash the car, but used the soap that I had previously used to strip the glaze & wax. Went to start applying the PB Black Hole (by the time it was dark so I busted out the head lamp), and noticed what looked like dust all over my car. Getting closer with the head lamp, they are tiny pin holes all over my car (see photos). I wash the car every week and noticed after washing there were more then ever. Photo 4 was also not there before I started washing the car.

So ultimately I think I have caused the damaged to the paint myself. Is it possibly that a stripping soap can be too caustic for paint if it is not diluted enough?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can a wash soap be caustic?

If your paint is already hurting, then using a paintwork cleansing shampoo (or any strong shampoo) could make it worse.

I think the main issue is that you were using the paintwork cleansing soap every single week to strip existing glaze and wax. Why are you starting over every week-end? Just wash the car with a normal wash soap and maintain the protection with a spray wax/spray sealant/quick detailer.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt even a harsh soap would do that kind of damage, but hard to tell in pics. Could it be industrial fallout (acid rain etching) ??? Did you ever have paintwork done (solvent popping) ??? Could it be the starting effects of clearcoat damage ??? Could it be minor road rash ??? Really lots of potential answers ....

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    If your paint is already hurting, then using a paintwork cleansing shampoo (or any strong shampoo) could make it worse.

I think the main issue is that you were using the paintwork cleansing soap every single week to strip existing glaze and wax. Why are you starting over every week-end? Just wash the car with a normal wash soap and maintain the protection with a spray wax/spray sealant/quick detailer.
    Using Black Hole which is a glaze will give you little to no protection especially with a car that sits out 24/7 in Florida. If you are using a wax, why are you stripping it every week? Most waxes are good for 30 + days. Like Emile said why not just use regular car soap and use a spray wax/selant. Even a quick detailer will give you some protection until the next wax job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post

I was only doing this for approx a month, because I wanted to try a couple different waxes to see the differences in each wax. Before the last 2 weeks the car was waxed over 2 months ago with regular weekly washes & just a gloss shampoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Using Black Hole which is a glaze will give you little to no protection especially with a car that sits out 24/7 in Florida. If you are using a wax, why are you stripping it every week? Most waxes are good for 30 + days. Like Emile said why not just use regular car soap and use a spray wax/selant. Even a quick detailer will give you some protection until the next wax job.
    The car is never left with just the glaze I always wax or seal after. This last time went PB BHG, Collinate 845, Pinnacle Souvern Paste