autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Buffer trails with pc???

Okay so I did the Civic this weekend... I ended up with buffer trails with the PC with Poliseal and an orange... so I tried poli with White.... the still were there... So I tried Grey finishing pad and SSR1 .... still trails... Now I ended up runnign over the time I had so I did not have a chance for pics...

What would cause trails on grey + SSR1 you cant get much softer then that. My father tried to do a couple sections and got the same results. The car was thoroughly clay bared before grabbing the PC but due to a Rain storm that came in I did not wash betwenn claying and buffing... I used ONR diluted to Clay bar lube strength and XMT speed clay (which I am finding I do not like very much). the trials seems like a residue I tried varying amounts of polish, pressure, working time, and section size. I made anywhere from my usual 3-4 passes with poliseal to 7-8... I worked the SSR until clear... semi clear.... until dusting... a few passes past dusting.... I used different patterns to make sure the trails were new and not old ones I kept seeing.

Could it all have been a residue on the car left from claying?

Thanks

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buffer trails with pc???

the polishes you are using may not be aggressive enough to remove the defects and you maybe dry buffing which isinducing the marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailgod View Post
    the polishes you are using may not be aggressive enough to remove the defects and you maybe dry buffing which isinducing the marring.
    Try SSR2 w/a white pad then SSR1 with a grey.

Mike Phillips

Just to clarify...

You did the entire car and you have these kinds of results, (holograms), over the entire car?

You're positive the holograms were not in the paint before you started?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Just to clarify...

You did the entire car and you have these kinds of results, (holograms), over the entire car?

You're positive the holograms were not in the paint before you started?

that is what i was thinking also. which is why i was saying the polish being used is not strong enough. but it also sounds like he is dry buffing alittle

Post Thanks / Like

Each seperate pass was creating trails... I dont think it was paint marring because even with a grey pad and SSR1 I would get the trails but only in the pattern I last buffed.... left/right, up/down, then diagonal I would have diagonal trials. they were only noticable under halogen lighting, there was no sun out to look at it in as it was raining and I dont have the brinkmann or sun light yet.

It was a dialy driver I did for my aunt she couldnt see them but I could and it bothered me. I dont have access today to recheck it after waxing it to see if they are removed but every product and pad option I tried caused the saem last pass trail inthe direction I did the pass.

Rubbing the "hazynes" with a thumb cleaned it up BUT whos to say it wasn't residual prosuct/oil off my skin filling some micro marring and it took a little bit of preessure to rub it out with a thumb...

I ended the job very upset I noticed the trails on the drivers door and hood the most but I thinking the car maybe covered int hem in direct sunlight. I will reinspect it the next chance i get.

I spent 4 hours prepping this car to buff it and was very disappointed to see this problem occur. I have never had this issue before.

Chris

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by detailgod View Post
    that is what i was thinking also. which is why i was saying the polish being used is not strong enough. but it also sounds like he is dry buffing alittle
    Agree. While some products recommend buffing till a product hazes on some paints the loss of lubricity can lead to increased friction and then hazing and micro-marring.

Always hate to beat the Test Spot Drum but one thing I always do is a Test Spot if I've never worked on the car/paint system before.

First evaluate the condition of the paint, check for holograms or buffer swirls to start with and if discovered or any defects are discovered, then work on just a small section of the paint and make sure the products, pads and process you're thinking of using over the entire car will successfully make one small area look GREAT and once you prove the system then tackle the entire car.

If it's not working... you'll be glad you didn't use the system to buff out the entire car.

Takes a few extra minutes to do a test spot but it can save you hours and hours of extra work...

In some cases, after doing a test spot you might actually let the owner know you want to pass on the job and explain and even show why.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Da Fats View Post

I spent 4 hours prepping this car to buff it and was very disappointed to see this problem occur. I have never had this issue before.

Chris
    Very rarely are their paint systems that simply won't buff-out without problems, it's possible, but usually you can find some combination of pad, product and process that will work.

If you get a chance to work on it again, gather as many light SMR's as you have access to and try to find a combination that works on this paint system to a small area.

For your final passes bring your speed to around 4.5 to 5.0 and lessen your pressure and move the polisher a little faster for a few section passes and be sure you have a wet film on the surface till the end. Then wipe-off and inspect.

So far the Wolfgang TSR 3.0 and FG have worked well on everything I've used them on and M205 with a soft polishing or finishing pad is very non aggressive for removing light holograms.

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned that you clayed, but did not wash due to rain. You also said you did not like the clay. Was it grabbing and leaving trace amounts on your paint? This could be your problem. How often have you been changing your pads between polishes or are you using the same pads? Do a strong IPA wipe down and start with fresh pads. I just can't believe that the polishes are leaving holograms with a pc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    You mentioned that you clayed, but did not wash due to rain. You also said you did not like the clay. Was it grabbing and leaving trace amounts on your paint? This could be your problem. How often have you been changing your pads between polishes or are you using the same pads? Do a strong IPA wipe down and start with fresh pads. I just can't believe that the polishes are leaving holograms with a pc.

it has me stumped to. if he was using a rotary could see it but not with a PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast