autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Dried Polish Splatter Removal?

Hi,
    I am performing my first paint correction on my brand new car. I have been taking my time with the whole project as I want to learn as much as I can along the way. I have corrected all the panels with 5" and 3" pads. The roof needed more attention and I polished this last which caused a lot of dusting/splatter over many panels. I foolishly did not remove this immediately and it has been there for some time now.

I have tried CarPro Eraser and Gyeon Prep with high quality Microfiber towels but the majority of the dried splatter remains as it does not want to come off easily. Do you have any advice to how I should remove these dried spots without marring the metallic black finish? My thought was that maybe polishing on a very low speed, maybe even 1 on my 6" GG, may remove them with ease?

Thank you for your help,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dried Polish Splatter Removal?

What polish did you use? Normally a mf towel and a couple light sprays of water works. If it's really bad you may have to polish over it again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used Menzerna SF-3800 polish and Microfiber Madness Yellow Fellow towels but the polish has been dried for 5-6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged75 View Post
    What polish did you use? Normally a mf towel and a couple light sprays of water works. If it's really bad you may have to polish over it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to need to polish it again to get it off most likely. Do a test spot and see what happens

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I will try a test spot, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged75 View Post
    Going to need to polish it again to get it off most likely. Do a test spot and see what happens

Would it make sense to try a low speed like 1-2 and not work the polish but rather move quickly and not slow as I don't need to do "work" the paint anymore? If this were to remove the spots quickly, would this have a negative affect on the look of the already corrected paint by not finishing the polish down (not as clear / marring)?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Eraser doesn't work that well for this purpose. What works for me is to take any polish (finishing polish, not a cutting polish), sealant, wax, or glaze (I use stuff that I want to get rid of), use a soft pad, and buff the dried polish lightly by hand or machine. This wipes out the particles. Let dry, then wipe off and you're good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you try washing the car instead of polishing the panels again. It is not abnormal to wash the car after polishing especially after a messy session of compounding. Sometime its the best way to get rid of all the dusting.

Post Thanks / Like

The panit is black metallic and I would prefer to avoid any possibility of marring the paint that is already corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Why don't you try washing the car instead of polishing the panels again. It is not abnormal to wash the car after polishing especially after a messy session of compounding. Sometime its the best way to get rid of all the dusting.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I always give the vehicle a gentle wash after a full correction, consider it part of the wipe down process.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Tim711 View Post

Hi,
    I am performing my first paint correction on my brand new car. I have been taking my time with the whole project as I want to learn as much as I can along the way. I have corrected all the panels with 5" and 3" pads. The roof needed more attention and I polished this last which caused a lot of dusting/splatter over many panels. I foolishly did not remove this immediately and it has been there for some time now.

I have tried CarPro Eraser and Gyeon Prep with high quality Microfiber towels but the majority of the dried splatter remains as it does not want to come off easily.

Do you have any advice to how I should remove these dried spots without marring the metallic black finish? My thought was that maybe polishing on a very low speed, maybe even 1 on my 6" GG, may remove them with ease?

Thank you for your help,
    Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for asking this question, I know I've made this mistake and I'm sure others have too.... and when working on >your< brand new BLACK car the last thing you want to do is make a mistake.

Here's my take and what I would do...

Washing is an option. I think in this situation, because the splatter dots of polish have completely dried onto the paint and because you say that wiping with solvents is not 100% effective, my guess is washing them off which means rubbing some type of wash mitt over the paint with a soap WILL loosen and remove the splatter dots but my "guess" is the rubbing of the mitt, loosening and removing stuck-on splatter dots will in and of itself cause marring. And even if it doesn't produce a lot of easily visible marring if it were me I would re-polish after washing and drying.

If I'm right about the above scenario, that is if I wash the car I'll still end up polishing the paint a second time, then I would skip washing and simply re-polish. In my scenario I would be doing this anyways so might as well try it first and if it works you save a LOT of time and work.

Also, my guess is the majority of the splatter dots are on the horizontal surfaces below the roof line, that is the hood, trunk lid and front and rear windows? They is probably some on the tops of the fenders but not much on the vertical panels?

So just buzz over all the horizontal panels the same way you did the first time. If you used a foam "polishing" pad for the last polishing step then repeat this process. Don't use low speed, do it exactly the same. The pad the polish and the action of the machine should completely remove all the splatter dots and when you finish polishing, wipe off the residue and move forward.

The problem you're experiencing is kind of the reason I originally came up with the

The Beach Towel Tip

Has to do wit me being lazy and not liking wiping off splatter dots off glass only to find I remove some but only push others around to new locations. Instead of messing around I just covered the windshield with a towel when using a rotary buffer on the hood.

Give the above a try...

11. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast