autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions on repairing deep marks in clear coat

Hello, this is my first post and I have a detailing question:

background - I purchased a used truck that had fender flares installed by the dealer. I removed them. They were on approx 2 years.

There are rub marks into the clear coat, some do not catch a fingernail and some areas do catch a nail.

Options:

1) temporarily mask the areas and reduce the appearance with the best products to cover (not sure what these are if you have any suggestions), and live with it. Perhaps a sealant applied?

2) Use more aggressive products to try to restore the finish. Live with the areas that are well into the clear coat.

I have a Griot's DA polisher, several pads, and have tried their polish no. 2 on an orange pad without success. I will likely need to move to something more aggressive like a Griot's correcting cream with microfiber pad, or maybe Meguiar's ultimate compound.

3) Contact an experienced detailer and have them wet sand. This isn't something I'm comfortable attempting on this vehicle myself.

So, for option 1 or 2, do you have any suggestions on products or techniques that may work for me? I have attached a photo to show what I am working with. I'm not looking to go all the way to wet sanding at this point without trying some first steps, but understand I may need to contact an experienced detailer or body shop.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Questions on repairing deep marks in clear coat-fender-1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions on repairing deep marks in clear coat

Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

1. Don't bother covering them up with anything other than another set of flares. A sealant will do nothing.

2. Sanding/Polishing is what is needed to remove the marks. Especially where it catches the nail.

3. That would be your best bet. I would find someone that hangs out on a forum or FB page.

Where are you located?

I would equip your DA machine with a compounding pad and compound and start off with a test spot on the more severe areas.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions on repairing deep marks in clear coat

Thanks for the advice Mike, I'm going to look into getting a pro detailer on this one.