autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Needing advice on removing vinyl wrap adhesive

Hi,

Just needing some help with removing adhesive left over from vinyl wrap. The car roof and bonnet had been wrapped with 3M vinyl wrap, the owner removed the wrap recently and a large amount of the adhesive has been left behind (all over boot and bonnet). My feeling is this was caused by:

-Car being parked in the sun frequently
    -Vinyl being removed with incorrect technique (no heat gun was used, vinyl was peeled off at a large angle to the surface etc)

Anyway, my job is to fix it! Have completed the bonnet so far, need to do the roof over the weekend, and some other small sections here and there. Just wanting some advice given the following:

-Tried removing the adhesive with four different solutions: Goo Off, diluted white vinegar, lighter fluid (Zippo) and WD-40 (all recommended by several people online). For each, left product on the surface for a few minutes, then did my best to rub off using microfibre cloths.
    -While this helped removed some, it didn't remove all of the adhesive, so I resorted to machine buffing it off using slow speed setting, lambs wool pad and Maguiars Ultimate Compound.
    -For remaining stubborn spots, more Goo Off/compound in spots did the trick.

Bonnet turned out well (considering paintwork was swirled/some gravel rash from before the wrap was initially applied roughly 2 yrs ago), some swirls but difficult to tell if these were here to start with.

Anyway, considering the tough time I had (took around 2 hrs to do the bonnet, was my first time doing a job like this though), and the fact I want to minimise the chance of marring the surface when doing the same on the roof (and other small sections of the car), just wanting some feedback and advice on how to better tackle the roof, considering the huge amount of adhesive left (there's literally a film over the entire roof).

Thanks in advance Link to photo of roof: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6416ftreay...34891.jpg?dl=0

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Needing advice on removing vinyl wrap adhesive

"Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 😊

Post Thanks / Like

Try Isopropyl. Cheap, safe, & easy. It is my "go to" for most adhesives. I never found goo gone to be as effective as ISO.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers, haven't tried that yet actually

Post Thanks / Like

as JRS stated, ipa (or panel wipe) is probably the easiest and cheapest solution. pop some into a spray bottle, find a clean cloth that you don't mind wrecking and away you go

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of sign people use a product called rapid remover for adhesive glue removal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    +1

Mike Phillips

Whatever you end up using be sure to wear some protective gloves. Especially if you're going to have skin contact with any of the recommended chemicals for hours.

Also... please come back and update this thread with what product you found to work the best. This will wrap up the thread and help others into the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I always detail with gloves (I use those black plastic ones some mechanics use) 😊

Finishing the job off this Saturday, so I'll update the thread with my findings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast